Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 9, 12, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Go to MyFlyerTalk (the ribbon of options just above the page numbers of each thread), click on Edit Options, and then look down the page to the third section, called "Thread Display Options." The third option in that section is called "Number of Posts to Show Per Page." There's a dropdown box there with a default entry of "Use Forum Default." Click on that box, and you'll get a number of options for how many posts to show per page. Set that option to your preference.

First person who compares the above to a MMS post gets 1000000 free Air Crap miles for use to fly from Dumbeckistan to Loozebeckistan.
No screenshots with arrows?
Old Nov 9, 12, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
Go to MyFlyerTalk (the ribbon of options just above the page numbers of each thread), click on Edit Options, and then look down the page to the third section, called "Thread Display Options." The third option in that section is called "Number of Posts to Show Per Page." There's a dropdown box there with a default entry of "Use Forum Default." Click on that box, and you'll get a number of options for how many posts to show per page. Set that option to your preference.

First person who compares the above to a MMS post gets 1000000 free Air Crap miles for use to fly from Dumbeckistan to Loozebeckistan.
Done. Thank you.

I had actually gone through those steps but missed the line for number of posts per page. I was intent on finding the word "settings" and ran right past it.

Now the thread only has 51 pages, not 136.
Old Nov 9, 12, 10:46 pm

Can you take screenshots with huge arrows and circles? Bonus points for irrelevant pictures turned of your SO
Old Nov 9, 12, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Just think of the structure of the BB deal - using some form of load card to add funds to a prepaid card that can have said funds unloaded easily via BillPay - and then look for alternatives in the gift card rack. There are many other ways to skin the same cat. That is why for me BB is only relevant for Office Depot purchases. I have plenty of other ways to manufacture spend at grocery and drugstores that are not being abused to the same degree.
Yeah, but those PayPal cards didn't appear to be reloads, and they charge a $5/month fee (which kicks in right at activation) + the $4 purchase price. So you start down ~2% right away.
Let's not forget that prepaid cards are generally awful products which take advantage of the underbanked. The PayPal prepaid website is pretty clear: "get your paycheck or government benefits up to 2 days faster". It hints at free third-party Bill Pay options, but you need to have an account to learn more. It's also run by NetSpend, who are historically not tolerant of FTer behavior. With it's low/no fees, Bluebird operates very, very different from the other prepaids. It doesn't even charge forex fees. It's scale-able.
Old Nov 9, 12, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas View Post
No screenshots with arrows?
+1
Old Nov 10, 12, 12:04 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by skiwindham View Post
Tweet by Travel by Points Blogger (pasted below) suggests OD game may end...

TravelByPoints ‏@TravelByPoints
Well-stocked OD pulled all Vanilla Reloads today after corporate notice. Mgr thinks it is nationwide. Hope not
Mgr might be clueless, or the tweet might be BS.

I bought two at an OD tonight. There were probably 20 on the rack. Smiling clerks were happy to see me, glad for the business, told me to please come back again soon. I promised I would.

I've bought 6 this week, 2 at a time, every couple of days, at 3 different ODs. If anything, my experience is that their availability actually seems to be improving. 2 weeks ago, I could find none, anywhere; the past week, every OD that I've tried - all of which had been previously out of stock - had anywhere from 5 -25 on hand. I've never been hassled buying these, no weird looks, just thank you sir, please come again.

I'm beginning to think this is actually going to last for a while, and it's going to get easier. Don't give in to the recent frenzy and feel like you have to buy every single one you see because it's all going to end as soon as you walk out the door. If you show some restraint, it will work out better for you and everyone else in the long run.

I'm trying to stick to no more than 2 or 3 VRs per month per credit card (and I'm not only using Ink cards - 5X is great, but even 1x is worth it). I have enough credit cards that I can easily spread them out, and mix them in with regular spend so the VR purchase don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm also using my Bluebird more or less as it's intended: akin to a checking account, for paying bills. I'm not paying credit card bills with it. I have a bathroom remodel coming up (big $$$) and am looking to pay my contractor via Bluebird (weekly payments) so I need to load up on the VRs. And I'm leaving some non-trivial money in my account so Amex gets a bit of float. My goal is to keep all the players happy (or happy enough) and do this for a while.

Slow and steady wins the race, hogs get slaughtered, etc.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Corridor! View Post
FM had a post a few days ago about setting up your BB as an account for your Paypal.
Can't put nothing past these bloggers.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:57 am

I will defend bloggers in distributing info freely, but I won't necessarily join in pure spoon feeding.
Is everyone getting religion?
Old Nov 10, 12, 6:07 am

Back to Bluebird, what kind of legal protections do we get in case our card gets stolen?

For e.g. credit cards have legal protection from federal law that the customer is only responsible for $50(?) max if fraud is reported with some time frame.

Next e.g. debit cards do not have legal protection (or it's extremely weak), and banks usually provide fraud protection out of their "good will". They make you jump through hoops and .... like that before you get your money back, affidavit, signed statement, etc..

So where does bluebird lies? I'm guessing it's more on the debit card side? Isn't anyone worried by loading $10k into your card and carrying it around? I don't carry even $50 in cash with me, and the only debit card that I carry is linked to an account with less than $100...
Old Nov 10, 12, 6:46 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Is everyone getting religion?
There is a difference between not spoon-feeding, and making no helpful contributions to anyone whatsoever. So no I have not got your religion.
Old Nov 10, 12, 7:15 am

Programs: 24 million points to burn!
There were some naysayers last week warning that the AX no-fee HHonors card won't get 6X points at WalMarts. I just got my statement and I can ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM that AX codes purchases at Neighborhood WMs as grocery stores and gives 6X! WM supercenters aren't coded as grocery, but NWMs are! And of course Chase codes WM as grocery.
Old Nov 10, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
While the immigration officers at Dumbeckistan are really rough with the full body-cavity searches (bring your own K-Y), the food court has some delicious food at reasonable prices.
Old Nov 10, 12, 8:09 am

There is a difference between not spoon-feeding, and making no helpful contributions to anyone whatsoever. So no I have not got your religion.
AMEN!!!!
Old Nov 10, 12, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Ok I'm at OD right now. Bad, bad news. Someone just called (within 10 minutes of opening time) and the person said "We don't carry that product anymore." The guy then went into detail with a co worker about how they weren't carrying reloads anymore. They will be carrying a different Amex Prepaid apparently, but max load with a debit or credit card is $200. The Amex Prepaid and Bean section is cleared out, all price tags removed, all product removed, and replaced with blank white placards. I'll take a picture with my phone and I'll try to post it when I get home.
Old Nov 10, 12, 9:06 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Ok I'm at OD right now. Bad, bad news. Someone just called (within 10 minutes of opening time) and the person said "We don't carry that product anymore." The guy then went into detail with a co worker about how they weren't carrying reloads anymore. They will be carrying a different Amex Prepaid apparently, but max load with a debit or credit card is $200. The Amex Prepaid and Bean section is cleared out, all price tags removed, all product removed, and replaced with blank white placards. I'll take a picture with my phone and I'll try to post it when I get home.
I'm pretty sure this is city by city. I was just in my fav OD yesterday and saw immense stock...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: