Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 5, 12, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just purchased Vanilla Visa Gift cards at Office Depot priced at $5.95. Is there a difference between that and the vanilla re-load card. And can the one I bought be used to load my bluebird?
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by JamesHNL View Post
I just purchased Vanilla Visa Gift cards at Office Depot priced at $5.95. Is there a difference between that and the vanilla re-load card.
Yes

And can the one I bought be used to load my bluebird?
No. You have a stand alone gift card.
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
I just purchased Vanilla Visa Gift cards at Office Depot priced at $5.95. Is there a difference between that and the vanilla re-load card. And can the one I bought be used to load my bluebird?
This is a completely different card, and no it cannot be used to load BB.

Edit: Whoops, looks like Stoughton just beat me to it!
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
Not the sharpest? At least try to denigrate the clerks at the correct store (the poster was at Family Dollar). And for the record, the Manager at FD is correct in her assessment of how the system works.
Not trying to denigrate anyone. Multiple previous references were to OD clerks (and Walgreens and elsewhere) being confused over the details. My point was that you shouldn't expect the people riding the registers to be thoroughly versed in all the details - look at the big racks full of different kinds of cards they carry - they all probably have their own quirks and rules (never mind all the other stuff in the store). Knowing what's going on with this game is your (our) job, not theirs.

And that it's probably not very wise if either of you is confused to ask them to escalate and start making calls up the chain to corporate entities.
Old Nov 5, 12, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
... I started to argue with her, she called manager. Manager came and she showed him Vanilla with sentence "Load cash". Manager wasn't smart enough, so he followed this sentence and said that this is corporative policy (in other words, if it is written, he must follow it, otherwise he will loose his job). I understood that they would not budge and I left very angry. I hope tomorrow will be more experienced person who would not hesitate to proceed with such transaction.
Yep, when successful write down the day and time and hope the same cashier is on duty next time. Probably don't want to argue since most Walgreens cash registers appear to be programed to prompt for cash only. What you found is one of the stores that probably isn't set up right. Don't want to argue to provoke them to call their home office and possibly verify that it should be cash only.
Old Nov 5, 12, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ddallas View Post
Yep, when successful write down the day and time and hope the same cashier is on duty next time. Probably don't want to argue since most Walgreens cash registers appear to be programed to prompt for cash only. What you found is one of the stores that probably isn't set up right. Don't want to argue to provoke them to call their home office and possibly verify that it should be cash only.
When in doubt, say nothing....and go to the next OD or WG. Befriend an OD or WG employee/manager, chat them up, and note the time when they are working. Works like a charm every time.
Old Nov 5, 12, 7:38 pm

They ought to split this thread and start a new one on OD/WG/FD/ect and bean buying. Keep this one to Bluebird info (that is the topic of the OP) not did I get the right card, not I found 2 on the shelf wooohooo, not the dumb cashier doesnt know how to make me happy.......

so far in all the new pages I've read there are only 2 Bluebird questions about DD and ATM withrawals, which went unanswered. I think it is too early to tell because the DD has to be at least 30 days old and I don't think anyone has had the card that long or started DD that long ago. I did try the ATM withdraw at Wallyworld this past weekend. They all don't have the moneystop walmart ATM's. One I went to had a local bank branch with an ATM so they didn't bother with their own. I found a store that did have the wallyworld flavored ATM and the limit was $300 I ignored the $1.50 transaction notice and when I checked at home I noticed they didnt charge me for it. I then noticed the limit is $500 a day so the next day I hit wallyworld ATM for $300 then $200....it worked like it was supposed to.
Personally with no DD to apply, I don't see the need for ATM's anyway, you can send a check to a friend or deposit to your bank account so why bother?
Personally I plan on using it for mortgage and other bills so my future usage isn't load, unload, load, unload.

Last edited by wise2u; Nov 5, 12 at 7:39 pm Reason: sp
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:01 pm

It's not that bad though. Just use it for everyday spend. You still made 5x.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:05 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
It's not that bad though. Just use it for everyday spend. You still made 5x.
Or do other things to it/with it and then cash it out at the atm just as easily.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:08 pm

i bet somewhere lurking on secret forums, private conversations, there is a list of OD's with vanillas.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
i bet somewhere lurking on secret forums, private conversations, there is a list of OD's with vanillas.
I'm sure there is, but that list is constantly and RAPIDLY evolving. I'm becoming more and more convinced that stores quickly restock and sell out (or something) by the time the majority of us find out. That is, I don't think they've stayed out of stock; rather, someone gobbles them up as soon as they come in.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I'm sure there is, but that list is constantly and RAPIDLY evolving. I'm becoming more and more convinced that stores quickly restock and sell out (or something) by the time the majority of us find out. That is, I don't think they've stayed out of stock; rather, someone gobbles them up as soon as they come in.
I completely agree. Any list of Vanillas in or out of stock would be outdated by the time it was posted.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
Why bother? One of the bloggers beat you to it:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...-reload-cards/
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:16 pm

You mean the blogger that most of us learned the deal from? Hasn't been updated in over 6 weeks anyhow ...

Either my local OD never got restocked or was dried out within 4 days. Luckily I picked up a bunch at another OD I luckily passed by on the freeway.
Old Nov 5, 12, 8:17 pm

LOL. That will now become a list of stores that have no cards in stock.

Search this Thread