Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
I also found my first batch! I got 5 across 3 CC....minimum spend met on those Now, waiting for next round of apps to include the ink.
Had no problems...NO ID Check either. All she said was these cards are quite popular

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Just purchased my first run of 7 beans at a local OD there were at least 10 more. Had no problems paying with a CC (not IB) only that I had to show an ID. LEGGO!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:21 pm

Why buy mulitple BB cards? You can't get a pin unless you register them, and you need a social to register.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:24 pm

I visited 2 ODs in Columbia, MD and Silver Spring, MD today. Neither had any in stock. I did manage to find some at a Walgreens in Silver Spring, MD but they only would accept payment with debit or cash. If anyone is able to find any in MD between DC and Baltimore I would appreciate a heads up.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:27 pm

Any New Jersey Office Depot have Vanilla reloads that can pay with CC?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Went to my normal OD today, none on the shelf. Asked when they would get more, they got a hold of the manager and was told that they had to pull all them off b/c none of them would load, said they kept getting an error. I asked if it was across the board or just this store (knowing it had been reported on here) and they said they hadn't checked with other stores but that they have a call into corporate to see what is going on. Hit up a dollar general and they said cash or debit card only. Will check out another OD to see if they are the same way.
Ask them to try again now. There was a problem yesterday with loading beans at OD when I tried buying. The manager called vanilla and found out that their server was down. Today, I had no problem buying those.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:04 pm

I think the Vanilla website is misleading. The companies listed carry Vanilla products, perhaps just not the reload product.
I know the CVS i visited only carries the Vanilla Visa card, not the reload card. Perhaps the reload will be carried in the future.
This may be the case with other companies listed as well.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scwam
Why buy mulitple BB cards? You can't get a pin unless you register them, and you need a social to register.
Who's buying multiples?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jrreynolds
I think the Vanilla website is misleading. The companies listed carry Vanilla products, perhaps just not the reload product.
I know the CVS i visited only carries the Vanilla Visa card, not the reload card. Perhaps the reload will be carried in the future.
This may be the case with other companies listed as well.
Not sure I agree, as some places that sell Vanilla Visas are still missing from that new list (Rite Aid for example). My bet is these are planned to carry the reload. Someone even mentioned seeing an empty section in a CVS with 'Vanilla Reload' sign as if they were on the way.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Not sure I agree, as some places that sell Vanilla Visas are still missing from that new list (Rite Aid for example). My bet is these are planned to carry the reload. Someone even mentioned seeing an empty section in a CVS with 'Vanilla Reload' sign as if they were on the way.
Yep.

I went to 3 local Walgreens yesterday.

One had oodles of Vanilla Reload cards - at least 20 or 30 of them (my eyes bugged out - I've only seen a few at ODs, and this was like stumbling upon the Holy Grail). Unfortunately, they would only only take cash - I asked about paying with a credit card, the cashier tried, and a dialog on his screen popped up that said cash only (he showed it to me). We both shrugged, I thanked him and offered to put the card back on the rack for him. I did.

I went to two other Walgreens. Both had empty slots on their gift card racks that were labeled "Vanilla Reload". Seemed pretty clear they were just out of stock. The rest of the rack was overflowing with other sorts of prepaid cards - the only slots that were not completely filled were the ones we ae all looking for. This hinted to me that maybe these particular Walgreens accepted credit cards for payment for these, and they had just been picked clean. Don't know, only one way to find out. I will be checking them again in a day or two.

I've seen several other posts from people who say they were able to get them with a credit card at *some* Walgreens. It appears to be inconsistent, and only a minority of them will take cash, but it's not true that Walgreens flat-out just doesn't stock them. The trick is finding one that will let you buy with a credit card. I've only had luck at ODs so far, but I think Walgreens is worth a shot.

Of course, my fervent hope is that WalMart will soon start selling them, and will take credit cards. WalMart is one of the "new" outlets that was recently added on the Vanilla website, but I checked my local Wallyworld yesterday, and there was no sign of them. Fingers crossed for that.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by koolr
Ask them to try again now. There was a problem yesterday with loading beans at OD when I tried buying. The manager called vanilla and found out that their server was down. Today, I had no problem buying those.
Thanks, i'll try again tomorrow if I'm in the area. The other OD i went to had them sold out, but had the card that somebody mentioned above with the SKU number and phone number. I'm going to call it and see what they say about ordering more.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:58 pm

I'm going to call it and see what they say about ordering more.
Not going to help. Remember the first rule of "Fight Club".
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:09 pm

Thanks, i'll try again tomorrow if I'm in the area. The other OD i went to had them sold out, but had the card that somebody mentioned above with the SKU number and phone number. I'm going to call it and see what they say about ordering more.
Actually, one OD I went to a few days ago was sold out. When I spoke to the manager, he said that they are in demand because they are convenient, and he would order more this time and would arrive in a couple of days. So, I went back after a couple of days and found the rack full of beans.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by koolr
Actually, one OD I went to a few days ago was sold out. When I spoke to the manager, he said that they are in demand because they are convenient, and he would order more this time and would arrive in a couple of days. So, I went back after a couple of days and found the rack full of beans.
Good manager there. This is the kind of OD manager that should be encouraged. You should bring him some beer or doughnuts or something on your next visit.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premiere, WN A-list, Hertz President's Circle,
Guys what is the real policy on buying ice cream with CC??? Am I just having bad luck and should keep trying??? I've been to two OD's in the Dallas area, I've found numerous cards at both locations. Only to be turned away at the register (told cash or debit only). Again trying to not cause a problem, I didn't ask for a manager, caused no scene, I just apologized, said I didn't know and headed for the exit... I've read through the board a lot and can't get locate a consistent answer. Should I try different stores, or just the same store and a different clerk?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mrjackwolf
Guys what is the real policy on buying ice cream with CC??? Am I just having bad luck and should keep trying??? I've been to two OD's in the Dallas area, I've found numerous cards at both locations. Only to be turned away at the register (told cash or debit only). Again trying to not cause a problem, I didn't ask for a manager, caused no scene, I just apologized, said I didn't know and headed for the exit... I've read through the board a lot and can't get locate a consistent answer. Should I try different stores, or just the same store and a different clerk?
It seems to be very inconsistant. I've been to stores that say no CC's and I've been to other stores and bought a few with a CC.

I've even read reports of people buying the at one store then with a different clerk being told it wasn't possible, then coming back the next day and buying more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.