Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 3, 12, 9:32 pm
  #1486  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
Exactly and with liability limited I don't see why Chase would get angry when about $50,000 of $200,000 spent on Chase cards is at office supply stores, internet acces and for phone bills.
How about 500k out of 500k at OD, you think that would upset them?
QL_714 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 9:39 pm
  #1487  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,896
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
Exactly and with liability limited I don't see why Chase would get angry when about $50,000 of $200,000 spent on Chase cards is at office supply stores, internet acces and for phone bills.
How about 500k out of 500k at OD, you think that would upset them?
Depends on the number of Ink cards you have and how much you spend on them .
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 9:46 pm
  #1488  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Depends on the number of Ink cards you have and how much you spend on them .
10 @ 50k each. Who would be stupid enough to put other spend?
QL_714 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 9:57 pm
  #1489  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,638
Originally Posted by crzn View Post
I had the same "technical" problem this afternoon. We did a little shopping and had an early dinner out. Went back after dinner and purchased with no problem. So I think it has been resolved!
same experience
azepine00 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:01 pm
  #1490  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,561
QL love that you still are active on here. Way to keep the noise/signal ratio!

Have there been many people who've tried using Amex gift cards to purchase VR's? Might be a good option if you've maxed out your bonus or use them as supplement to fly under the radar.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:04 pm
  #1491  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 35,555
Since the cards can't be loaded or show value until rung up at the cash register, I wonder if it's possible to take the cards from the rack at a Walmart or Walgreens out of the store without paying, then ring them up at your local OD - I would be skeptical that each card's serial number is pegged to a particular vendor.

Would taking the unpaid/0 value cards out of a store be considered theft?
bocastephen is online now  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:07 pm
  #1492  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Since the cards can't be loaded or show value until rung up at the cash register, I wonder if it's possible to take the cards from the rack at a Walmart or Walgreens out of the store without paying, then ring them up at your local OD - I would be skeptical that each card's serial number is pegged to a particular vendor.
No - the cards are different. OD is barcoded, WG's is magstrip

Would taking the unpaid/0 value cards out of a store be considered theft?
Yes
Stoughton is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:19 pm
  #1493  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Would taking the unpaid/0 value cards out of a store be considered theft?
Give it a shot. Let us know if it works.
ddallas is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:30 pm
  #1494  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Have there been many people who've tried using Amex gift cards to purchase VR's? Might be a good option if you've maxed out your bonus or use them as supplement to fly under the radar.
Still trying to pimp out BC? You will never learn will you?
QL_714 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:37 pm
  #1495  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,561
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Still trying to pimp out BC? You will never learn will you?
What do you not like 1.4% cash back?
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:41 pm
  #1496  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Along the German/Dutch border
Programs: HH, SPG, IHG, Club Carlson, Hyatt, AA, DL, AmEx, UR
Posts: 138
Went to my local Wal-Mart today and bought a BB. Was unable to purchase/load with a CC and don't have an 1Nk for bean purchases. Can someone please offer any suggestions (either on here or via PM) on other load methods using a cc (perhaps via some other type of gc or prepaid?)
modgepodgetea is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:45 pm
  #1497  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
What do you not like 1.4% cash back?
There are better ones at 3%
DrSifu is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:47 pm
  #1498  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 916
went to OD in san gabriel and huntington beach. someone ate all the ice cream. uggh.
webazoid is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:47 pm
  #1499  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by DrSifu View Post
There are better ones at 3%
...but he does not get a referral.
QL_714 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 12, 10:49 pm
  #1500  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 514
Is it possible to purchase the Vanilla reload with OD gift card?
I have a $200 OD gift card and buying a Vanilla would be a nice way to finally get rid of GC!
mizzou1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: