Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loaded $500 but ended up with nothing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Loaded $500 but ended up zero (warning to others)

I purchased a vanilla reload card at CVS about one week ago. I tried loading it on BB but the card would not work. I contacted customer service and they had me email a copy of the card and receipt.

I think what happened is the cashier gave me the wrong one. When she rang up the reload card, she said it did not go through so I went and grabbed another vanilla for her to ring up. Perhaps she put the bad one in the bag? Not sure but all I know is that I paid $500 for a card that is not loaded with any money.

To make matters worse, the receipt does not match up with the vanilla that is not working. If I had known what to look for when I made the purchase, I would have discovered the error right away. What I did not know was that CVS receipt will record the vanilla reload number from the card on the receipt making it easy to make up the card to the receipt. So besides checking the receipt for "activated" I should have checked to see if the card number that was activated matched the receipt number.

I am hoping customer service can solve this issue so I can get my $500 back or loaded on BB.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Last edited by poptarts; Jun 9, 2013 at 10:27 am
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Your story summarizes the difficulties with VR. I think of it as buying $500 in cash. If I don't see the $500 go into the bag, in the form of the card I wanted to buy, I have the clerk check so the card (my $500) does go into the bag.

And then I hold onto that card for dear life until it's loaded into BB. Keep in mind that there's no ID or password, other than the card number itself, that's required to load from Vanilla to any other source. Once the clerk enters the activation code, if a card drops out of your bag before it's loaded, it's just as if $500 dropped onto the sidewalk--although some folks who find it might not initially know that.

The same danger faces those who buy a bunch of these cards and then let them sit around at the house for awhile before loading them--if someone breaks in and steals them, they're gone.

I'll be interested to see the resolution of your situation because I wouldn't be completely surprised to see InComm deny any responsibility to you. Anything better than that is a real win.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
This exact situation happened to me. She told me it was bad and i got another. When i went to load it was an error. Ended up driving back to the sto and it was back on the shelf. Pulled it off and was able to load the card. If there is ever an issue with a card always look at the receipt. The four numbers on the activated line will match the last four digits of one of the lines o n the card.

I usually always just verify these numbers when i am leaving. Also look for any bubbles in the pin code cover to see if it was tampered. Good luck as i am not sure options for credit card dispute.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AmEX Platinum, HYATT - Diamond, SPG - Gold, HILTON - Gold, IHG - Platinum,
Originally Posted by poptarts
I purchased a vanilla reload card at CVS about one week ago. I tried loading it on BB but the card would not work. I contacted customer service and they had me email a copy of the card and receipt.

I think what happened is the cashier gave me the wrong one. When she rang up the reload card, she said it did not go through so I went and grabbed another vanilla for her to ring up. Perhaps she put the bad one in the bag? Not sure but all I know is that I paid $500 for a card that is not loaded with any money.

To make matters worse, the receipt does not match up with the vanilla that is not working. If I had known what to look for when I made the purchase, I would have discovered the error right away. What I did not know was that CVS receipt will record the vanilla reload number from the card on the receipt making it easy to make up the card to the receipt. So besides checking the receipt for "activated" I should have checked to see if the card number that was activated matched the receipt number.

I am hoping customer service can solve this issue so I can get my $500 back or loaded on BB.

Anyone else experience this issue?
I had the exact same experience and I went straight back.. The guy fished out the correct card from the "trash bin" I said thank you and walked out.. I think they do that intentionally when you go to change the card, they switch it out.. If you ever have to change a card because it "was defective and not scanning" check your receipt before walking out of the store to make sure the card you were given matches the number on the receipt
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:28 pm

Why not compare the last 4 digits with receipt?

CVS prints the last 4 digits of VR in its receipt. Why not compare the 4 digits before you leave store?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Same thing had happened to me. I called InComm about the situation. After sending them a copy of my receipt, they found the loaded card somehow and refunded it to me by mail.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:30 am

Thanks for the heads up fellas.
Most of the cashiers are on the up & up. But with churners frequenting them they are now bank tellers with the amount of $$$ that can pass through their hands everyday. Its natural for them to imagine a scheme or two.

But we have to stay vigilant.

Even when things go as usual best thing to do is check the last few numbers on the receipt. Next best thing to do is liquidate ASAP.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by shel
CVS prints the last 4 digits of VR in its receipt. Why not compare the 4 digits before you leave store?
I was not aware of this until after this issued occurred. I only checked for "activated" on the receipt. That's one of the reasons I posted so perhaps others can benefit from my situation.

I am still waiting to hear back from CVS and InComm and will post the outcome.

As Mark Twain said: There are no mistakes in life, there are only lessons to be learned.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:24 am
Original Poster

The CVS manager contacted me this morning. He found the activated card in the "damaged" folder and provided me with the code. I was able to load the $500 on my account!!! YEAH~!!!!
Issue solved! Manager was very apologetic and so helpful.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion here, please:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...on-issues.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.