Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Cbass98
I'd put in 2K and within the next week, I'd do 2x$500 BB, then on the next day 2x$500BB, and then on the next day, a $500 ATM withdrawal. I stopped doing cashback at groc stores because I wanted to have an even balance so that I would make sure I had a 0 balance on the 3rd of every month (to avoid that fee). Never had a problem before with this method. This was card #2. Card #1 had a longer history with some cashbacks thrown in there. Regardless, I think they'll eventually crack it all down even though they shouldn't bother since people will stop using this come May.
So you'd pay $5 to load, and then WF gets 4 swipe fees and no ATM fees and no monthly fee. I can't figure out WHY they'd shut you down?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:09 am
jk2

Did anybody (current holder of WFPP) receive an e-mail from WF saying that their app for the card is not verified:

Dear XXX,
=================
Thank you for your interest in the Wells Fargo Prepaid Card.

As part of our routine account opening process, information provided to us is subject to verification. Based on the information provided to us, we are unable to process your Wells Fargo Prepaid Card order at this time.

Please call Customer Service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-866-360-2857 to confirm your account registration. If you do not call within 10 days of the date of this email, we will cancel your order for a Wells Fargo Prepaid Card.
Please do not reply to this message as this mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
Thank you.
==============

This is weird since we (myself and wife) both have those cards and didn't apply for 2nd.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:11 am
jk2

The follow up.

Now we both cannot login to our WFPP account - the message is "Security information incorrect". Does that mean they shutdown us?

UPDATE: Called customer service and was told that an account on the security review and nothing is required from me this time. Should take 7-10 days for them to review. It seems they organized massive audit of their accounts.

Last edited by jk2; Mar 22, 2013 at 8:33 am
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
So you'd pay $5 to load, and then WF gets 4 swipe fees and no ATM fees and no monthly fee. I can't figure out WHY they'd shut you down?
You can get off your high horse now. I'm sure there are others on FT that are doing the same thing or worse. I'm not wasting my time driving around to 10 stores to do multiple cashbacks. I just wanted to share what my experience was and to see if other people had the same issue (whether it be in the past or due to recent crackdowns).
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:47 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
You can get off your high horse now. I'm sure there are others on FT that are doing the same thing or worse. I'm not wasting my time driving around to 10 stores to do multiple cashbacks. I just wanted to share what my experience was and to see if other people had the same issue (whether it be in the past or due to recent crackdowns).
I think that everyone has their OWN method of using the WFPP. Some people are more riskier than others but because of that they can get a lot more points/miles out of the deal. To each their own.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Same here, both of my cards are now under review, hopefully they will be unlocked after the review is completed.

Originally Posted by jk2
The follow up.

Now we both cannot login to our WFPP account - the message is "Security information incorrect". Does that mean they shutdown us?

UPDATE: Called customer service and was told that an account on the security review and nothing is required from me this time. Should take 7-10 days for them to review. It seems they organized massive audit of their accounts.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
Same here, both of my cards are now under review, hopefully they will be unlocked after the review is completed.
Has that ever been the outcome of a card under review?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
More likely you'll get a check from WFC a few weeks later for your remaining balance, that's what happened to me.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:12 pm

My 1st card was under review and came out fine sometime ago, but I agree this time it could be different.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:13 pm

How long did it take for the balance check to be delivered to you?

Originally Posted by chespeak2002
More likely you'll get a check from WFC a few weeks later for your remaining balance, that's what happened to me.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:43 pm

Just got the same email an hour ago. I would only use the ATM twice a month and unloaded the rest via cash back at grocery stores over the month. I have near $1000 on it, so I presume they will charge back to my funding card. I'm going to unload my fiance's card and then close it before I go asking how I get my money back from my card.

Loaded $2500 onto my card this morning. I've been doing alternating 2k/2.5k every 16 days. Didn't change the card I used to load it with. Didn't try to make any purchases with the card. Just a normal load. Then got this email this afternoon. My load is still pending. Not sure if it'll clear and they'll cut me a check or if they'll cancel the pending charge.

Dear xxxxxx

We have closed your Wells Fargo Prepaid Card account. Do not attempt to use the card as it will be retained by the merchant per our direction. We have closed this account due to what we have determined to be inappropriate spending/purchasing activity intended to perpetrate fraudulent activity.

This account cannot be reopened.
Please do not reply to this message as this mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. If you have any questions, please call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-866-360-2857.
Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
How much is the 'swipe' fees?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
How much is the 'swipe' fees?
pennies

Here is a good article about them, and a recent court ruling.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahel...-for-shoppers/
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:25 pm

Seems like the sleeping Giants of prepaids have awaken. Wonder what spurred them into action? GD In comm wells fargo all seemed to have stepped up their game.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by iminsandiego
Just got the same email an hour ago. I would only use the ATM twice a month and unloaded the rest via cash back at grocery stores over the month. I have near $1000 on it, so I presume they will charge back to my funding card. I'm going to unload my fiance's card and then close it before I go asking how I get my money back from my card.

Same thing just happened to me today. I called in and was told that when the account is shut down like this they do not auto refund the money. They stated that they hold the money until the cardholder actually calls in to request a check and verify the address they want the check sent to... So I clarified with the gal that if I had not called I would never have been sent my money? and she said that is correct!! After calling they state you will receive the check w/in 7-14 business days.

As I was writing this, my wife called in on hers and was told that her refund was already being processed...??? I would recommend to call just in case.

Last edited by Jeremyh11; Mar 22, 2013 at 8:40 pm Reason: update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.