Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Because a money order is basically a cash advance, and statistically a cash advance is a much riskier transaction.
Sure, on a CC, but this isn't any risk to the bank. They already have your $.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:48 am

unless they request the details of your purchase from WMT, there is no way from them to tell what you purchased at store.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by liw5215
unless they request the details of your purchase from WMT, there is no way from them to tell what you purchased at store.
I thought someone inside a CC company (Chase?) said this isn't always correct. However, it sounds like WF hasn't shut anyone down for MO use, so my question is answered. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Because a money order is basically a cash advance, and statistically a cash advance is a much riskier transaction.
How do you get a cash advance on a [prepaid card? I'd understand the increased risk for the CC company that funds your WF account, but not for WF itself.

Andyandy

ETA: I see Stoughton made the same point.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Sure, on a CC, but this isn't any risk to the bank. They already have your $.
Fraud is fraud, and Wells Fargo has to make good on it whether it's credit or debit.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:04 am
Suspended

Fraud is fraud, and Wells Fargo has to make good on it whether it's credit or debit.
Yes, but there's no 'credit' here and their debit it limited by the fact that they already have your funds. I don't see how there's a potential for fraud short of using a stolen CC to fund the WF in the 1st place, and if that's the case, the criminal involved is not only clever enough to use a product like WF, but also dumb as a bag of hammers for not buying regular gift card vs funding a product tied to an identity.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

couldnt find it on the WF FAQ site, what is the max atm withdrawal per session and/or monthly limit? And has anyone had success in loading with v/mc gc's?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
couldnt find it on the WF FAQ site, what is the max atm withdrawal per session and/or monthly limit? And has anyone had success in loading with v/mc gc's?
It's in their T&C, in addition to the 1st post of the thread.

$500/day
$1500/rolling 7
$5000/rolling 30

GC's do not work
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
My account is showing a $4xx.00 balance (online at at ATM), but is getting declined at stores and WF ATMs. I'm not over the ATM limit.

I think my best course of action is to just let it sit for a week or so and try again.

Anyone else have this happen to them recently?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by liw5215
why do they care if you buy a $1K MO or $1K TV from walmart?
Putting money into an account simply to take it out very quickly without an otherwise legitimate business purpose is business banks want to avoid.

It reeks of laundering. Stuff like this (rapid transactions without an apparent purpose) is the first thing covered in KYC/AML training at any bank in the United States.

Compare this to a checking account - even if you spend the money from your paycheck quickly, there, you are getting money from a third party (your employer) and paying other third parties (landlord, utilities, etc).

We would of course argue we have a legitimate purpose (earning miles)...but this use is, at a minimum, even if within the letter of the T&C, inconsistent with the spirit of what they are trying to provide.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of people getting questioned at their retail bank for excessive depositing of MOs (that's also covered in KYC/AML 101).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I'm surprised we haven't seen more of people getting questioned at their retail bank for excessive depositing of MOs (that's also covered in KYC/AML 101).
I suspect most banks are simply happy to see the paper instead of the coins
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:29 pm

Haha.

I should supplement one of my MO deposits with a roll or two of the old Jeffersons that I have sitting around for a rainy day.

Maybe a doubly-endorsed out of town check, too, for good measure.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Anyone else have this happen to them recently?
Try a regular small purchase to make sure the card is not locked.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, AA Plat
Apology - if this question has been asked before, but I can't find the answer now (vaguely remember seeing it)

Using credit card, is it true that Chase charges the prepaid card purchase as 'Purchase' while Citi charges that as 'Cash Advance'?

Sincerely appreciate that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.