Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:51 pm

Also at times Barclays US Air MC offers spend X in Y months and get Z bonus points (obviously targetted) that might be another case to use this card...

However 3$ monthly maintenance needs to be looked at if you use this card only for loading less than 500$ per month ...

Originally Posted by elBulli
And Barclay works apparently. But that's pretty useless as I don't believe their cards typically have minimum spends or anything, though you could probably push through $2500-3000/mo to the Barclay US Air card and get 35k miles/year.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I am glad there are other PPCs to play with....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
with no ATMS that offer free anything for the WF card I was using it to get cheap $500 money orders.

Recently however, I tried to actually buy something with some of the $1000+ I have on it (and would have then been able to load just the other day if so inclined).

It would not go thru. I contacted WF and the system says the card is closed. But when I got thru, CSRs tell me it's under some security review.

i suspect they will close it and I dont care. Had figured it wasnt doing for me what I wanted anyway and may not have loaded again after all. But they wont tell me yet. It's a bit frustrating to call in each day and have them not know. I wish they would just tell me it was closed and send a check (will take ~30 days) and I suppose if THEY close you out, they dont deduct a fee for that check, whereas I know if you request one they will assess an $8 fee.

But it's in limbeaux.

Anyone else having this issue? I have heard of others having these closed but some had more than one WF going. I just had one and well, they have their reasons for holding me up.

MM
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Man bro you are using Nitro when I am afraid to use a cap pistol
Best at least for a coward like me to go way slow
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
with no ATMS that offer free anything for the WF card I was using it to get cheap $500 money orders.

Recently however, I tried to actually buy something with some of the $1000+ I have on it (and would have then been able to load just the other day if so inclined).

It would not go thru. I contacted WF and the system says the card is closed. But when I got thru, CSRs tell me it's under some security review.

i suspect they will close it and I dont care. Had figured it wasnt doing for me what I wanted anyway and may not have loaded again after all. But they wont tell me yet. It's a bit frustrating to call in each day and have them not know. I wish they would just tell me it was closed and send a check (will take ~30 days) and I suppose if THEY close you out, they dont deduct a fee for that check, whereas I know if you request one they will assess an $8 fee.

But it's in limbeaux.

Anyone else having this issue? I have heard of others having these closed but some had more than one WF going. I just had one and well, they have their reasons for holding me up.

MM
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:12 am

But it's in limbeaux.

MM
Would you mind sharing a bit about your usage pattern prior to being frozen?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Man bro you are using Nitro when I am afraid to use a cap pistol
Best at least for a coward like me to go way slow

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Would you mind sharing a bit about your usage pattern prior to being frozen?
Basically I loaded the WF with whatever $$ - say $2000.

Then a day or so later I would go to anyplace that sold money orders and buy one, whereas if the MO was say, $1000 plus a fee, I would put max $600 on the WF and split transaction the rest on something else. Clerks could do that if they knew how to operate these functions on their side. Not all do or can or will.

If a Mo was max $500, I would just get that amount plus its fee and let it go as is.

So now, knowing my bal was maybe $1000 and change (they had also assessed the first $3 monthly fee to me on the WF card and deducted it from my bal), I was planning to use it for a regular debit purchase. I think I was going to use it to buy something at CVS or whatever. It got declined. Tried twice, no dice.

I had this card maybe 6 weeks and had loaded not very many times, but had always and only done MO use. Never had a problem.

I know things can be too much or sometimes people should mix in this or that transaction in such PP cards, but that didnt prove useful with those who had their NetSpend cards frozen. With them, it didnt matter how big or fast or slow or mixed you went... they just froze anyone who they thought did a certain type of thing or loaded it a certain way.

With this card, I cannot find any T&Cs or nor see any problems with using it to buy money orders, which are real and legit items for sale --and in this case not even any rewards of any kind are being earned by anything here (you got your miles, for example, by loading the WF card, not using it). As such, they are the ones who gave a max use of $600 per day. Why is it a crime to actually hit that number? ie, if the speed limit on the road is 50MPH, can you actually drive 50? And if there is no speed limit, should you act like that dude who just jumped from the space balloon and have no real limit? I think so. It is WF who needs to handle this issue internally, not take it out on us users.

I actually don't think I am doing anything wrong or extreme by doing the above. I don't even have a second card (some have several) and what bothers me the most is that when you call in (I had to 5 times now in so many days) they cannot even give you an answer. I kinda want them to just close it on me and I will wait for my check. But I do want to resolve it and will of course report back here when I do. I did not expect to have run into this with this card (although I have expected it with other entities where it's not just a few hundred bucks, but thousands).

Unless there are explicit T&Cs stating the NO NOs of doing what I did, I find it horribly inconvenient that I cant even find out if it's still open or when, or closed and how to get the funds out. I cant even tell you the exact bal because I cant log in no more. I suppose they want people to suffer like this so we happen to tell our other criminal friends so they get scared away from doing it. But what did WE do?

I think $500-600 about 4-5 times in its life thus far is not abusive. I actually considered this to be one of the few things I DO NOT go big on lol

oh well. As said if they release it and it's still open, I will probably find ways to zero it down and cancel it anyway with a $0 bal at some point.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by emptiness
so the conclusion is, WF prepaid is not as good as it should be?

CITI= cash advance fee
AMEX= not accepted
Chase= accepted without fee but TOO RISKY, CHASE points are too valuable to be abused and chase shuts down cards once they find you risky, unprofitble or anything wrong with your credit history.
BOA= works but no points earning.

any one tried paying any bills with this card?

can I withdraw 2 $500 in one month, and pay bills at same month?
Anyone has tried U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:04 am

Any info on a daily transaction limit? I know a single transaction is limited to $600. But if I buy a $600 item on amazon, can I turn around and buy another $600 item the same day?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:05 am

There are conflicting reports on this thread of the Barclays US Airways card.

Someone reported that it works, someone else reported that it doesn't and no miles were received.

Anyone else have data points?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nuther datapoint for me...

Today I called into WF again and was again told it is still in some sort of security freeze sorry. I asked for how long and they cant say. It goes to some outside entity blah blah. So I asked for a super. I got one who told me once it's been escalated (which I first was told they did on 10/10) it takes 7-10 BUSINESS days to get an answer, but she thought my freeze was not about to shut me down, just temp hold it. She thinks by the 24th I should be able to call in and find out my card is open again. I asked if they could just close it now but they cannot while it is in this hold.

Stupid.

But I guess I gotsta wait. Then if it is good to go, I will end up using it up and closing the thing.

it worked fine for UA EXPL and while you had to have a 'window' that allowed up to say $2500 of CA on your credit limit, it did go through only and always as a purchase with chase UA and always gave me the miles. The $5 fee to load it also goes on the CC side. So I got miles but I figured it was too costly and now too frustrating to keep using. For me at least.

I will report back I guess in a week+!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
nuther datapoint for me...

Today I called into WF again and was again told it is still in some sort of security freeze sorry. I asked for how long and they cant say. It goes to some outside entity blah blah. So I asked for a super. I got one who told me once it's been escalated (which I first was told they did on 10/10) it takes 7-10 BUSINESS days to get an answer, but she thought my freeze was not about to shut me down, just temp hold it. She thinks by the 24th I should be able to call in and find out my card is open again. I asked if they could just close it now but they cannot while it is in this hold.

Stupid.

But I guess I gotsta wait. Then if it is good to go, I will end up using it up and closing the thing.

it worked fine for UA EXPL and while you had to have a 'window' that allowed up to say $2500 of CA on your credit limit, it did go through only and always as a purchase with chase UA and always gave me the miles. The $5 fee to load it also goes on the CC side. So I got miles but I figured it was too costly and now too frustrating to keep using. For me at least.

I will report back I guess in a week+!
Guess you need to be willing to not have whatever money you load on this card for 20-30 days if their security team decides you are a risk.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radagastmod
Guess you need to be willing to not have whatever money you load on this card for 20-30 days if their security team decides you are a risk.
Exactly, as I am not even sure if what I did was against any of their rules. I mean maybe it is, but I cant find it anywhere.

I do have the ability to float these funds in this case but I find I'm not even AT the point where they are telling me something like, OK sir we have to shut you down and will send you a check in 20-30 days. I still have to wait nearly 10 days from now to hear that or find out the thing still works and then I figure I'll burn it and be done anyway!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:28 pm

oh well. As said if they release it and it's still open, I will probably find ways to zero it down and cancel it anyway with a $0 bal at some point.
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I have the opposite reaction in these situations. Once you get through the security clearance, why cancel? After they have already validated your spending habits, you are less likely to get your account frozen again, in my experience. From that point on, it's almost a free for all.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sk8uno
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I have the opposite reaction in these situations. Once you get through the security clearance, why cancel? After they have already validated your spending habits, you are less likely to get your account frozen again, in my experience. From that point on, it's almost a free for all.
I see your point but...

1) many thought that from dealings with NS. Once they had you send in a copy of your ID or utility bill, we thought we were OK NOW but that was NOT the case.

2) going forward, I may be away a lot or something and have less ability for MO cash out

3) no ATMs in my area so that's always been a prob with WF

4) I have always thought it was costly, and I also needed to reduce my CR line with the UA expl to make room for the next chase card I got.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 pm

check the bluebird from AMEX at http://bluebird.com. why do you still need WF PPC or any other suckers like NS or PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.