Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Old Apr 19, 13, 12:19 pm

Question... what are the consequences of getting shut down? I know banks have checks systems for checking accounts to where if your account is closed because of things you have done, they may let another bank know and pretty soon you can't get accounts anywhere. Do prepaid cards work the same? Or is it simply you are closed down... no harm no foul? You get your money back...
Old Apr 19, 13, 1:08 pm
jdl

Originally Posted by joejoe2 View Post
Just loaded for the last time. Any ideas on quickest and cheapest way to cash out.

10:00 am - Load 1K on BB. Load 1K on spouse's BB.
10:02 am - move 1K from one BB to second BB online.
10:04 am - get online preauth. for $2K BB check to yourself.
10:10 am - go to WF bank. Withdraw $500 from WFPP. Deposit BB check and $500. Done.
Old Apr 19, 13, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928 View Post
Hmmm.... With 4 WFPPds between my nephew and I, I've been expecting at least 1 shutdown email before it's all over, but haven't received it yet!

Our LAST rounds of funding before May 1 begin tomorrow, so FINGERS CROSSED! :-:
I spoke too soon!!

My nephew's 2 cards have been shut down! Didn't get any emails, but logged into the accounts and both have been zeroed out. One says "Card balance unload" and the other says "adjustment debit."

His/our spending pattern has been primarily ATM withdrawals, with cellphone bill payments & random food purchases thrown in.

4/22 Update: Got the shut-down "fraudulent activity" emails today -- 3 days after the cards were actually shut down.

Last edited by gm9928; Apr 22, 13 at 3:01 pm
Old Apr 19, 13, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jdl View Post
10:00 am - Load 1K on BB. Load 1K on spouse's BB.
10:02 am - move 1K from one BB to second BB online.
10:04 am - get online preauth. for $2K BB check to yourself.
10:10 am - go to WF bank. Withdraw $500 from WFPP. Deposit BB check and $500. Done.
Max transaction is $600. You would need to split up the BB loads into 4 x $500. No sense mailing a check. Just use BB to pay off the CC you used to load WF.
Old Apr 19, 13, 9:38 pm

When the accounts are shut down, do they tell you the reason of shut down? Are they required to justify their action by law? maybe not, in that case I am curious to know why would they not want to explain / justify their action. why would they not give you a warning/chance before shutting down? Is it arrogance?
Old Apr 19, 13, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
When the accounts are shut down, do they tell you the reason of shut down?
We have closed your Wells Fargo Prepaid Card account. Do not attempt to use the card as it will be retained by the merchant per our direction. We have closed this account due to what we have determined to be inappropriate spending/purchasing activity intended to perpetrate fraudulent activity.

This account cannot be reopened.

Are they required to justify their action by law?
No

maybe not, in that case I am curious to know why would they not want to explain / justify their action. why would they not give you a warning/chance before shutting down? Is it arrogance?
Why would they need to? If you closed the account, would you be required to explain/justify your actions and give them a warning/chance before doing so?
Old Apr 19, 13, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
[i]We have closed your Wells Fargo Prepaid Card account. Do not attempt to use the card as it will be retained by the merchant per our direction. We have closed this account due to what we have determined to be inappropriate spending/purchasing activity intended to perpetrate fraudulent activity.

Why would they need to? If you closed the account, would you be required to explain/justify your actions and give them a warning/chance before doing so?
They can just block a transaction they think is appropriate, like sometimes at CVS the register goes "alternate tender" the charge is blocked, the account is not closed. They allow the 'inappropriate' transactions then close the account(may be FDIC told them?)

I see all the signs of shutting themselves down eventually

yes I call/tell them when I close my account. They make offers to retain my business.
Old Apr 20, 13, 9:25 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Arghhh! They finally got me! "Card Balance Unload" I was really hoping to get that last load in, alas. I guess I won't have the hassle of unloading, though.

Andyandy
Old Apr 20, 13, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by lucky223 View Post
Question... what are the consequences of getting shut down? I know banks have checks systems for checking accounts to where if your account is closed because of things you have done, they may let another bank know and pretty soon you can't get accounts anywhere. Do prepaid cards work the same? Or is it simply you are closed down... no harm no foul? You get your money back...
The probability that WF would report anything outside of their systems other than 'account closed' is slim- if these PP cards are reported at all- as this opens a can of worms. If they allege fraudulent activity, but have no direct proof, and have not provided you an opportunity to explain your actions, this would appear to me (a layperson, not a lawyer) as slanderous. Similar to job references. They might want to quote Motley Crue, "Girl, don't go away mad... girl, just go away."

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
When the accounts are shut down, do they tell you the reason of shut down? Are they required to justify their action by law? maybe not, in that case I am curious to know why would they not want to explain / justify their action. why would they not give you a warning/chance before shutting down? Is it arrogance?
Per the T&C, "At any time and without prior notice, Bank may revoke or cancel your Card and thereby terminate these Terms and Conditions and demand return of your Card to Bank. We reserve the right to close your Card for any reason, including default, suspected fraudulent or unlawful activity, internet gambling, or any indication of increased risk." Like, um, you're beating the House.

When one door closes, another opens... You can PIN that on your grocery list...
Old Apr 20, 13, 9:44 pm

Hmm seems like they credited the amount back to my CC, anybody know if it counts as refund or as CC payment?
Old Apr 20, 13, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by sprials View Post
Hmm seems like they credited the amount back to my CC, anybody know if it counts as refund or as CC payment?
Refund.
Old Apr 20, 13, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt whatever the call it, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat but still earning millions of points
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
Refund.
You will still be able to use the Wells CC to fund the Wells PP after May 1 and they have different offers some targeted with bonus catagories. I was offered one with 3x at gas, grocery and a couple other things. I didn't talk to long because the branch manager is a friend and I would prefer ask privately. From what one of the bankers told me you earn at least 1 point per dollar and their program is flexible like the replacement to NWA CC which is now Flex Perks at US Bank. So I was told you can use for travel or other things.

Now the big question would be if it codes as a financial trans and perhaps is a no points deal breaker. I know that some bank CC's can fund the same banks debit cards and get points or miles cuz of this.

I have days of unpacking from Asia so don't PM me I don't know anymore but this could be still a great way for free travel points or miles ect. with the only cost being unloading which is very very small even at ATM at .2 cents per.
Old Apr 21, 13, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by sprials View Post
There is no differentiation between a refund and a payment, that is how Chase sees it.
Old Apr 21, 13, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by SGJazz View Post
There is no differentiation between a refund and a payment, that is how Chase sees it.
a few months back when I did some home repairs (used my Ink Card), I had to take a few things back. They refunded my CC and I believe the points were not earned for the refunded portion nor the original purchase either (as shown on the statement history).

It appears you are saying above that Chase would award points, Correct?
Maybe this depends on your statement due date, but I would think that even if they were award on one statement, then they receive a refund on the next statement---- I would think they would deduct those points from that statement.

Others can weigh in (this is just my thoughts). From my experience, on the same statement period, no points were award for that statement on the amount that was originally purchased after the refund. [if others say differently, maybe I should go back and look at the couple of refunds I did from the home repairs---personally, that's the only time I've had refunds on a Chase card].

Last edited by shoreline; Apr 21, 13 at 1:41 am
Old Apr 21, 13, 3:36 am

this was on US Bank so we'll have to see but i'll suspect I won't get the points. A bit annoying essentially paid $5 for a 500 load. Well this is the game and its on the next thing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: