FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1376772-wells-fargo-prepaid-cards.html)

diogenes2011 Apr 7, 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20548957)
WF Rewards credit card shows as a Purchase.

I have spoken to reps at Wells Fargo on two separate occasions and was told that loading from a Wells credit card would be treated as a cash advance. Did you receive different info prior to getting the CC or did you simply get it , load, and see what the result would be? If you did speak to someone beforehand, was it in the CC area or the PP area?

gm9928 Apr 7, 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by diogenes2011 (Post 20550002)
I have spoken to reps at Wells Fargo on two separate occasions and was told that loading from a Wells credit card would be treated as a cash advance. Did you receive different info prior to getting the CC or did you simply get it , load, and see what the result would be? If you did speak to someone beforehand, was it in the CC area or the PP area?

I simply got it , loaded, and saw what the result would be. Looking at my transactions, it appears to have ran as a purchase. My first statement hasn't generated yet, so let's hope there's no surprises.

huynhc Apr 7, 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20550859)
I simply got it , loaded, and saw what the result would be. Looking at my transactions, it appears to have ran as a purchase. My first statement hasn't generated yet, so let's hope there's no surprises.

it may be shown as a purchase now and your statement might show as a purchase but I'm concerned it may change to a CA for transactions made after 05/01. Just be careful...

jools1006 Apr 7, 2013 2:58 pm

Just got my refund checks for both WF cards although I only received the shutdown email for one.
Took about two weeks for the checks to arrive.

diogenes2011 Apr 7, 2013 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20550859)

Thanks for taking the lead on this -- please let us know what the final result is.

gm9928 Apr 7, 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by diogenes2011 (Post 20550002)

Originally Posted by huynhc (Post 20550891)
it may be shown as a purchase now and your statement might show as a purchase but I'm concerned it may change to a CA for transactions made after 05/01. Just be careful...

Now you got me all FREAKED OUT! Thanks! :)

huynhc Apr 7, 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20553122)

lol well personally i think you are safe. I am suggesting that maybe transactions AFTER 05/01/13 may post differently. Just make sure you dont have it to auto-reload after May and do another small test load to see. Best of luck to you sir and appreciate the updates (although personally I'm calling it quits come May)

diogenes2011 Apr 8, 2013 11:54 am

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20553122)

Sorry, gm, not my intention!!

Although Wells is one of Warren Buffet's favorite investments, I have been dealing with them since 1986 and have never found their customer service to be very consistent. It is entirely conceivable that what I was told is incorrect, especially since the CC and PP are two separate areas. That is why I queried you.

Hopefully your advances stay as purchases.

andyandy Apr 8, 2013 1:13 pm

Just scheduled my last two funding transactions for the month of April. I've had a great run with this card, $27K since November. Sad to see it go.

Andyandy

gm9928 Apr 8, 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by diogenes2011 (Post 20556928)
Sorry, gm, not my intention!!

Although Wells is one of Warren Buffet's favorite investments, I have been dealing with them since 1986 and have never found their customer service to be very consistent. It is entirely conceivable that what I was told is incorrect, especially since the CC and PP are two separate areas. That is why I queried you.

Hopefully your advances stay as purchases.

My WF statement closed yesterday and the transaction went through as a regular purchase.

Something strange: On $2043 in purchases, I got 5088 bonus points -- for a total of 7,131 points on $2043 spend. I can't figure it out. I ain't complaining, either.

WhateverDude Apr 9, 2013 6:35 am

Originally Posted by gm9928 (Post 20559836)
My WF statement closed yesterday and the transaction went through as a regular purchase.

Something strange: On $2043 in purchases, I got 5088 bonus points -- for a total of 7,131 points on $2043 spend. I can't figure it out. I ain't complaining, either.

From the landing page for their rewards card:

more from your purchases by earning triple rewards points for every $1 spent in gas, grocery and drugstore net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits) for 6 months and 1 rewards point for each $1 spent on all other net purchases with your credit card.

LAX88 Apr 9, 2013 7:19 am

7,131 is not triple 2043 (or, in fact, any whole number multiple) so that cannot explain the situation.

prasha11 Apr 9, 2013 8:01 am

Strange Products.

Banks are rolling out strange products these days, stranger....Now WF disallows loading funds from non WF credit cards because those charges showed up as purchases and not Cash Advances, yet WF itself posts as purchases. 'Purchase' of what? and why? The banksters are full of surprises!

diogenes2011 Apr 9, 2013 8:23 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 (Post 20561636)
Banks are rolling out strange products these days, stranger....Now WF disallows loading funds from non WF credit cards because those charges showed up as purchases and not Cash Advances, yet WF itself posts as purchases. 'Purchase' of what? and why? The banksters are full of surprises!

Yes, there is some sort of pretzel logic going on here.

Look at the variety of closures that have been reported; some consisting of deliberately low key usage and some aggressive. Some balances were refunded by check thru snail mail and some were credited back to the loading CC.

WhateverDude Apr 9, 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by LAX88 (Post 20561450)
7,131 is not triple 2043 (or, in fact, any whole number multiple) so that cannot explain the situation.

Clearly. Without knowing exactly what he spent money on, we'll obviously never know the full explanation unless he wants to offer it. But it explains the lions share of the points. My guess is there was other spending besides the $2043 reported in the post, or perhaps some purchases through their earn more mall. Maybe WF just screwed up. Who knows.