Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 5:55 pm
Suspended

should have asked this before this

But has anyone used a Chase CC and been successful if getting the Pts or Miles associated with that CC?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by craz
should have asked this before this

But has anyone used a Chase CC and been successful if getting the Pts or Miles associated with that CC?
yes. more than once.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
Has anyone used a BoA CC and been successful if getting the Pts or Miles associated with that CC?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by superflyer99
Has anyone used a BoA CC and been successful if getting the Pts or Miles associated with that CC?
Yes, with an AS card. However: You need to understand is that past performance may not necessarily guarantee success for you. This is -like churning- a huge YMMV situation.

Citi will ultimately curtail your ability to open/fund accounts online, but this can occur after just a handful of accounts, or after more than a dozen. YMMV.

Citi may decline your card (regardless of issuer), and if you call them up, your request may go through on a different card. Or the one that was initially declined. YMMV.

The biggest issue is: Will this go through as a purchase? It always has for me and everybody I know. But: YMMV. There are precautions you can take, such as setting your cash advance limit to zero. But hypothetically, the purchase can go through, and then some auditor may find out what has happened and re-code it as a cash advance. Unlikely, but because it is a cash advance, there wouldn't be anything you can do.

No need to keep asking questions (this is not addressed at superflyer99 specifically, but to everybody who's unsure of whether to get in on this deal): there is no guarantee that this will work for you. It is a great opportunity, and has worked for others in the past; if that is enough for you, go out and try. If this exceeds your tolerance for risk, don't sweat it; there are other opportunities. Good luck!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpdx

No need to keep asking questions (this is not addressed at superflyer99 specifically, but to everybody who's unsure of whether to get in on this deal): there is no guarantee that this will work for you. It is a great opportunity, and has worked for others in the past; if that is enough for you, go out and try. If this exceeds your tolerance for risk, don't sweat it; there are other opportunities. Good luck!
for some its not a question if they should do it or not.

But rather if they will gain any Pts or Miles. As I said years ago I purchased 10k worth of some Financial instruments and it went thru as a purchase but still didnt get any Miles

So if I knew that a AS CC wouldnt work in getting the Miles even thou it went thru as a purchase Id use a different CC and hope that will end in getting some Pts or Miles

not a question of Should I do it or Not, but rather with which CC should I do it with
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Has anyone tried funding a new account with Wells Fargo with a credit card?

On their website it says they accept credit cards but...
I opened Wells Fargo accounts last week and funded with a credit card. They posted as purchases.

Visa/Mastercard only. $500 max per account.

Last edited by PhilC; Aug 4, 2009 at 11:09 am
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhilC
I opened Wells Fargo accounts last week and funded with a credit card. They posted as purchases.

Visa/Mastercard only. $500 max per account.
Do you mean $500 max CC funding per account?

If so, may I ask what are the benefits, given the amount is so small?

If it is used to meet the minimum purchase for signup bonus, wouldn't the coins a much better option?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:04 pm

Why not make a sticky, or a wiki at the beginning of this threat(where posters can add info)?
Everybody is clear that it's YMMV. I wonder if people have funded chase bank accounts with (i) Chase CC (ii) non-chase CC and it's shown up as purchase or cash advance?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:06 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
So this is one of the offers I assume are being discussed here.
  1. Open a Citibank regular checking account in a qualifying package and deposit a minimum of $1,000 by 8/15/09.
  2. Make 1 direct deposit or 2 electronic bill payments or five or more qualifying non-PIN purchase transactions using your Citibank debit card for 3 months and earn 10,000
    dvantage bonus miles
  3. Continue for the next 9 months and earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles.

From what I'm seeing here number 1 is taken care of by the deposit via CC which comes out as a purchase.

Numbers 2 and 3 cannot be done using a credit card so gleff would shoot them $1 via Paypal every month. I assume there is some Paypal method for direct depositing money in a bank account?

I guess I'd use my CC to get the money to Paypal. Does that also show up as a purchase or would that be considered a cash advance?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
No need to keep asking questions ......
Since the topic isn't just Citibank... it's funding saving accounts in general. Or is Citibank the only bank that allows this? I did not know that opening a BoA checking account and funding it with a Citi AA card would post as a cash advance (Originally Posted by jim5518, #44).
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by superflyer99
Why not make a ... wiki at the beginning of this threat(where posters can add info)?
Wouldn't that be nice? Please read this thread and see why this long-waited-work-in-progress feature isn't available on FT yet.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...s-threads.html

ps. The last update from IT was from January 2009.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Do you mean $500 max CC funding per account?

If so, may I ask what are the benefits, given the amount is so small?

If it is used to meet the minimum purchase for signup bonus, wouldn't the coins a much better option?
Yes, $500 max CC funding per account. I actually needed to open the accounts so was relating my experience to a question that was asked earlier.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I think my risk tolerance is just a bit below where this one is coming in at, but it's always exciting to see the new ways people find to earn miles.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I assume there is some Paypal method for direct depositing money in a bank account?
You take your paypal balance and withdraw it, transferring to your linked bank account.

My own method is I pull $$$ out of Fatwallet over to my paypal account and always keep a small balance to shoot over to Citi a couple times a month.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by gleff
You take your paypal balance and withdraw it, transferring to your linked bank account.

My own method is I pull $$$ out of Fatwallet over to my paypal account and always keep a small balance to shoot over to Citi a couple times a month.
Dagnabbit. If I keep following your blog I'm going to end up with a second full time job just to keep up with this stuff. How do you get money into Fatwallet? Can I just charge a credit card to put some money on Paypal and then use that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.