Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
I agree but with no other way 20k for $133 max is appx .06 per mile or $166 for 25k thats still a small price for a free Transcon.I know I know no EQMs+ on a free tkt

This said , no I wouldnt do it as I dont have to , I probably cancel more CCs every couple of months then miro ever had. But if I was in miros situation and wanted to fly somewhere that 20k does come at a very cheap price, of cause they still will be 5k short and have to figure a way to get the last 5k
I hear you. Though for us a Transcon usually costs no more than $250. In fact we flew 2 CO transcons at $240 and $187 ai. in Janaury and March respectively. (all paid by airline currency derived from TYP redemption, with residual value balance to spare.) Is it worth it to risk losing the few, may be the only, credit card you have, just to save a couple hundred bucks?

My point being, given miro's low FICO situation, he should not do anything that could trigger a review on his BofA issued credit card, and a real risk of having that card being closed. Then he would have hard time to get another CC due to his FICO and the current financial climate.

I still think the priority of the poster, should be on building back up his FICO and not to be tempted into activities like this.

Besides, since he does not have an AAdvantage card, he is NOT eligible for the offer anyway, not to mention the offer is only good for opening a Checking Account, which carries monthly maintenance fee if you have less than $6000 in account balance. Saving account is NOT qualified.

I honestly dont know what miro is thinking, trying to bypass not 1, but 2, requirements of said promo, with a potential very high cost both in term of $ and in term of his financial well-being.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 25, 2009 at 2:41 pm
Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
No, not another data point for this offer.

In your case Bank of Amerca ran the charge as a cash advance.

In the case of this thread, Citibank has always run these charges through as purchases.

But I'm ultra-cautious, and have always gotten my cash advance limit set to zero 'just in case' past practice changes.
^
Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:32 pm

Has anyone tried funding a new account with Wells Fargo with a credit card?

On their website it says they accept credit cards but...
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:06 am
Suspended

min time it takes after calling in and giving your CC info till your CC is charged? and the $$ appears in your acct?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:09 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
min time it takes after calling in and giving your CC info till your CC is charged? and the $$ appears in your acct?
I did mine Monday and received ATM card Fri and PIN Sat but still no sig cards. Citi did call Thursday wanting faxed "verification" of my phone number and address. I guess having a Citi HH Visa for eight years (and churning myriad AA cards since then) at same address/phone counts for nothing!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Thanks everyone who helped me , still couldnt figure out why it was never funded.

called Citi new accts dept and was told they tried but it was Declined, could it be they processed it as a Ca$h Adv and with a $0 limit it was declined

then @:-) hit me, since its a very new CC I was using,still my 1st month, no statement, must be the Fraud dept took over.

Yep so to those who are using a pretty new CC where you havent built up any kind of a record, be prepared for a no go and having to call the issuing bank of the CC used to let them know a charge for $xxxxx should be coming thru and you are fully aware of it

Acct now Funded
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
No Hard Pull and # of accounts to open

I've seen posts claiming that hard pulls on credit are being made by Citibank to open accounts. Prior to opening my first Citibank Checking account, I confirmed with a CSR that no hard pull will be done on my credit. Has anyone seen EVIDENCE of this on their reports?

Also, I am hoping to open another account shortly. Any idea on a limit of accounts one can open or have open at the same time? I've seen posts indicated that there is probably a limit, but no solid number...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:00 pm

I have opened many accounts for myself and others over the past few months witn NO hard pulls. Citibank froze my ability to open accounts online after four new accounts. As always, YMMV.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I had hard pulls every time I opened a new City checking/savings account. No idea what determines whether they do pulls. Otoh, I got well past four accounts until City started giving me trouble.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:11 pm

Talking

I have had a lot of success too, but have been cut off. After several hundred thousand points (between thank you points before devaluation, Aadvantage points, United Miles, Marriott Rewards Points and Disney Dollars, Princess Cruise dollars [I have a nice $750 onboard credit for our cruise next month to cover the tips and other expenses]) on various cards between my wife and myself, I got the dreaded call saying I must open all further accounts at a branch. I felt like a drug addict being cut off from his supplier!!!!! Have tried a few months later, the account opens and then disappears a day later Will try again in a year or so. Great source of points though. Advice is to stay under the radar and only open one account a month and never have more than a few open at one time. One month I opened five between my wife and myself and that must have raised flags after about the third month. I had like 10 accounts open.

Added perk is if you time it the right way, just after cycle closes for the month, you get almost a month's interest on the money before having to pay the credit card off.

Last edited by abouna; Jul 28, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
What kind of an answer you expect?

This is about the dumbest question ever asked in this thread.

Enough information has been posted here, including gleff's link, and some people still ask such questions!
That's why I advise friends, families and FT confidants to keep their mouth shut and do most of the talking via e-mail or PM, after make them swear secrecy...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by abouna

Added perk is if you time it the right way, just after cycle closes for the month, you get almost a month's interest on the money before having to pay the credit card off.
At these amazing interest rates..
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mikensf74
At these amazing interest rates..
5% APY, FDIC insured

I verified, they are FDIC insured and no limit on how much money you can earn at the 5% APY. Now, I am breaking with my own tradition by openly posting this here...please do me a favor, shhhhhhhhhhh!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Guava
5% APY, FDIC insured

I verified, they are FDIC insured and no limit on how much money you can earn at the 5% APY. Now, I am breaking with my own tradition by openly posting this here...please do me a favor, shhhhhhhhhhh!
Looks very interesting, at least on a "pay as you go" basis.

Mike
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by mikeef
Looks very interesting, at least on a "pay as you go" basis.

Mike
Am I understanding this right? That you fund this card using PayPal (via CC) and than go to an ATM and get the money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.