Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funding bank account with credit card [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
Not necessarily. Citi & Chase are smarter than that. Pls see my post (#10) above.
In all honesty, I haven't read through all of this thread because it seems to be focused on WHAT you can fund with a credit card, as opposed to peoples experiences using different credit cards to fund said accounts. Also I figured a lot of the older stuff was no longer applicable as the credit-card company's have gotten pretty good at catching on to trends.

I am in the process of opening a Citi Savings account because I need to (not because I'm trying to rack up miles). However, if I have the opportunity, why not?

So from what I have read, if you're funding a new Citi savings/checking account general advice is to:

1) Avoid using a Chase or Citi card.

2) Set your cash advance limit to 0 and print something confirming that your cash advance limit is 0.

3) Try to fund. If it goes through, you should be OK. If not, the transaction is obviously being looked at as a cash advance.

Trying not to repost....just trying to update the post with a helpful summary.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
...but bear in mind that card issuers' and the deposit institutions' rules evolve.
It should also be pointed out that some FI’s also monitor these types of threads.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by High PSI
In all honesty, I haven't read through all of this thread because it seems to be focused on WHAT you can fund with a credit card, as opposed to peoples experiences using different credit cards to fund said accounts.
<snip>

Trying not to repost....just trying to update the post with a helpful summary.
How can you claim to be posting a helpful summary when you admit you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
It should also be pointed out that some FI’s also monitor these types of threads.
+1. A fact that seems lost on many as they post with gay abandon across this forum.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by User Name
How can you claim to be posting a helpful summary when you admit you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread?
I'm asking for a helpful summary. I couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread because it's now a mis-mash of information that's YEARS old - i.e., most of this thread is now complete junk (example - your post).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:41 am

I'm asking for a helpful summary. I couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread because it's now a mis-mash of information that's YEARS old - i.e., most of this thread is now complete junk (example - your post).
As is this one, and the last one in which I just posted.

How about we stay on topic and not clutter up this site more tring to just get our post count up.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:24 am

Lose the attitude. You wrote that you were trying to update the thread with a helpful summary. Your post cannot be classed as a helpful summary if you couldn't be bothered to take the time to read the thread. I'm struggling to understand why you tried to claim your post was something that it wasn't.

Now you seem to be changing your tune. You are asking someone else to provide a helpful summary.

You are the one providing the clutter on the thread - I'm just calling you on it. If you had a simple question I don't know why you didn't ask it in the first place instead of pretending to position yourself as being "helpful". Questions and fine. Smoke and mirrors less so.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
As is this one, and the last one in which I just posted.

How about we stay on topic and not clutter up this site more tring to just get our post count up.
How about walking the talk? People are just beating around the bush and engaged in wishful thinking. Whether it is a credit card issued by Citi, Chase, US bank etc, it doesn't matter; this is DEAD for the most part. Of course people don't want to hear this, so keep trying to find loopholes. There may be some loopholes but IMHO this is simply not worth it. It is over.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by User Name
Lose the attitude. You wrote that you were trying to update the thread with a helpful summary. Your post cannot be classed as a helpful summary if you couldn't be bothered to take the time to read the thread. I'm struggling to understand why you tried to claim your post was something that it wasn't.

Now you seem to be changing your tune. You are asking someone else to provide a helpful summary.

You are the one providing the clutter on the thread - I'm just calling you on it. If you had a simple question I don't know why you didn't ask it in the first place instead of pretending to position yourself as being "helpful". Questions and fine. Smoke and mirrors less so.
I read the last ~50-pages (of ~113 with how my settings are), which is everything from the last TWO AND A HALF YEARS (do I REALLY need to go back further than that?? Yes,I read the first 10-pages or so as well) - and summarized it into THREE POINTS looking for a yay or nay. Sorry I forgot the question mark or to ask implicitly.

I'm struggling to understand why you are posting...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by gv111
How about walking the talk? People are just beating around the bush and engaged in wishful thinking. Whether it is a credit card issued by Citi, Chase, US bank etc, it doesn't matter; this is DEAD for the most part. Of course people don't want to hear this, so keep trying to find loopholes. There may be some loopholes but IMHO this is simply not worth it. It is over.
I haven't seen this stated anywhere. People have said that with the Citi Savings funding, Citi no longer works, Chase no longer works, and AmEx never worked - nothing implicit about it being completely DEAD. The last good chunk of this page is people trying to find other accounts to fund (presumably because they already went the citi savings route).

What does "DEAD for the most part" mean? There hasn't been crap for data points on this in years for either cause. Will a Marriot card work, a US Airways card, etc....

Whatever, the last few comments from the peanut gallery display well enough why this thread (and site) has gone to *&%^.

Last edited by High PSI; Jun 8, 2012 at 6:01 am Reason: Unsubscribing so that I don't fill up my inbox with more garbage from people with too much time on their hands.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please write about the topic, not about each other. Contact a moderator to have the thread reopened if you have a substantive contribution to post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.