Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets sometime in the wee hours of the morning)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link:
Free and Low-Cost ATMs

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Will this show up as a CA?
A: No, Target is not a financial institution.

Q: Even with xxxx cards?
A: Yes, no cards will be charged a CA.

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Yes. Also the balance can be detected and drained if you ask to load more than the value on a prepaid it will just prompt you to give a second payment form. Great for draining random balances.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes. Up to 3 cards can be loaded in one transaction, but each card will be charged $3.

Q: Why load multiple accounts in one transaction?
A: to avoid multiple $1003 transactions on same CC in minutes. This may trigger a fraud alert.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: Any reason not to load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes, when you have multiple small value gift cards to unload because of 7 swipe limit.

Q: The title says withdrawals are 1.3%, is that true?
A: No. Do the math. I'm not very good at math. Under 1.3% includes Costco ATM fees. It is not possible to edit a thread title, the fees are lower due to the ATM limit now being $400.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
Maybe you should select your state on the amex for target website...

https://www279.americanexpress.com/G.../whereToBuy.do
I have the Target stores listed in my area are devoid of these magical devices. Wasn't sure if there was a secret handshake or pass code to gain access.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
I have the Target stores listed in my area are devoid of these magical devices. Wasn't sure if there was a secret handshake or pass code to gain access.
If it wasn't stealing, I would grab one from my local Tar-Jay and mail it to you to register at their registers!

Just grab one the next time you head out of FL.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Alright, anyone have any luck finding this I'm Florida? The Target stores all in my area don't know what this card is or does. I'd probably have better luck at finding Kate than this card.
Yes, at Super Target. You have to scour each & every register as it's usually only at one out of the 30. Cashiers don't know what they are or how to load. I have to train one each time I go.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Anyone have any luck finding cheap or free ATMs on the North Shore [Boston]? Cheapest I can find is Market Basket @ $2
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Yes, at Super Target. You have to scour each & every register as it's usually only at one out of the 30. Cashiers don't know what they are or how to load. I have to train one each time I go.
I'm convinced every ST in Pinellas County does not carry it. I did have one CSR tell me they pulled their stock back late last year. Next time I hit up S. Fla I'll scour the aisles there.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

I now have my 2 cards and I want to start loading - but I am waiting to have a clean 28 or 30 days (depending on what you believe) to carry out the plan in the wiki. My question is around unloading. I have found a free ATM, so on the wiki it states: ATM fee $3. 1st pull of the month is free. Max $400 ATM/card/day. Is that per month or also rolling? My guess, is since these wikis are picked over very well, that the loading is limited to a rolling window, while the unloading is monthly (the one fee free ATM unload) - is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by raccah
I now have my 2 cards and I want to start loading - but I am waiting to have a clean 28 or 30 days (depending on what you believe) to carry out the plan in the wiki. My question is around unloading. I have found a free ATM, so on the wiki it states: ATM fee $3. 1st pull of the month is free. Max $400 ATM/card/day. Is that per month or also rolling? My guess, is since these wikis are picked over very well, that the loading is limited to a rolling window, while the unloading is monthly (the one fee free ATM unload) - is this correct?

Thanks!
If I understand your questions, the first ATM withdrawal each calendar month is free. You can take out $400 max each trip to ATM, but only once/card/day. I haven't tried to unload more than $400/card/month when I'm not meeting minimum spend. That $3 adds up.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

First ATM being Amex-fee-free is first per calendar month. I traveled to a (machine-fee-free) Wawa state for a couple days that spanned the 31st/1st, so I withdrew 400 on the 31st and again on the 1st, completely fee-free.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
First ATM being Amex-fee-free is first per calendar month. I traveled to a (machine-fee-free) Wawa state for a couple days that spanned the 31st/1st, so I withdrew 400 on the 31st and again on the 1st, completely fee-free.
Thanks - that should be added to the wiki to make it 100% clear
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:29 pm

Max amount per rolling 30 days is $2.5k / card or $5k per SSN. HOWEVER this limit can be spread between both cards, so you can load $2k to one and $3k to the other. Because you start the very 1st load with $500 you need to wait for one 30 day period (for both cards) to start doing this kind of load pattern. Otherwise you will be stuck with $18 fee to load both cards to max instead of just $15. (the CPM calks above assume you are doing this).
This is a little unclear. You do not need to do no loads for 30 days, you can go ahead and load twice more up to $2500, then after the first card goes past the first two loads to $1,000 in the rolling 30 days the card you started the next day would be at $2,000 (assuming you buy card number two on day 2 and load card number one that day, then load both the next day, and do the final load to card number two the 4th day). So slightly less than a 30 day wait, and no need to sit out the next 30 days after you purchase the card.

You paid $3 to load $500 no matter how long you wait to continue loading, so no matter what you can not achieve the CPM on your first 5K of loads.

Really this method is expensive no matter how you slice it. I haven't tried it because I haven't needed to, but loading with Am Ex gift cards ordered via a cash back portal (and with zero fees) might help offset costs, since Target is a 1x spend anyway.

I have checked all the ATM's that are listed as fee free for Serve in my immediate area and did not find anything that was fee free. The Costco $2 ATM has been my best bet. McD $2 ATM's have not worked for me and have a $200 limit in my area.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:36 pm

Also, if you don't need the spending you can load $800 for $3 mid month, unload $400 for free or $2 if no free ATM across two months. 6x a year.

That is less than 1% even with a $2 ATM fee, less than .5% if you have a free ATM. If you load with gift cards that were better than free but otherwise hard to unload (Amex gift cards) you can turn it into a very small money maker.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:01 pm

Has anyone been able to load this with off the rack Amex gift cards? I tried to load one today and the system wouldn't allow it. The cashier was very helpful and even tried to load with half the amount, but the system kept rejecting the transaction.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
When I wrote this I couldn't figure out an easy way to describe a more optimal approach so took the path of what is easiest for most to follow. If you see this as a long term play (unlike some prepaids where you want to go in hard as you will be shutdown regardless) then the 1st month inefficiency isn't much of an issue.

Originally Posted by Haleyb
This is a little unclear. You do not need to do no loads for 30 days, you can go ahead and load twice more up to $2500, then after the first card goes past the first two loads to $1,000 in the rolling 30 days the card you started the next day would be at $2,000 (assuming you buy card number two on day 2 and load card number one that day, then load both the next day, and do the final load to card number two the 4th day). So slightly less than a 30 day wait, and no need to sit out the next 30 days after you purchase the card.

You paid $3 to load $500 no matter how long you wait to continue loading, so no matter what you can not achieve the CPM on your first 5K of loads.

Really this method is expensive no matter how you slice it. I haven't tried it because I haven't needed to, but loading with Am Ex gift cards ordered via a cash back portal (and with zero fees) might help offset costs, since Target is a 1x spend anyway.

I have checked all the ATM's that are listed as fee free for Serve in my immediate area and did not find anything that was fee free. The Costco $2 ATM has been my best bet. McD $2 ATM's have not worked for me and have a $200 limit in my area.
For this to be effective you need a better than 2x card which the AGC essentially is (2% CB plus points for purchase). I have access to a fee free ATM (CU) and use 4 AFT cards and buy AGC using APG, so this is 10k MR points plus $107 / month profit after stripping out load and unload fees.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
I'm curious if these cards have been withdrawn. I took a look for them in my nearest Target and could no longer find them.
I'm lucky in that I jumped in a year ago for 4 cards (2 SSN).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:41 pm

I may have missed this somewhere back in the previous 100 pages, but: Target lists some stores as carrying these cards and some as not, on their web site. Will the ones that don't carry them still reload them for you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.