FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

healthnut Feb 7, 2014 2:16 pm

Went to a Super Target today and asked about this card. They had no idea and pointed me to the AMEX Target gift cards. :(

Do only some carry it? I assume I then have to find a place that knows how to load it! :)

dcpilgrim Feb 7, 2014 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22306514)
Went to a Super Target today and asked about this card. They had no idea and pointed me to the AMEX Target gift cards. :(

Do only some carry it? I assume I then have to find a place that knows how to load it! :)

Only some carry it. They never know how to load it. Just tell them to swipe it at the register and the rest is self explanatory.

OnTheRocks Feb 7, 2014 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22306514)

It is easy to get them to load it but it seems like fewer and fewer stores are carrying the actual card. The store where I got my cards no longer sells them and said they won't be getting any.

healthnut Feb 7, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks to you all I found one and I have it loaded with $10 until I get the legit one.

NOW to find fee-free ATMs and to learn about the mins/maxs! :)

Tofe Feb 7, 2014 10:05 pm

so its $3 per load per $1000 then three ATM withdrawals to get the money out which is $9 at minimum correct? this is based on my last experience. I am trying to understand if it just makes sense for me to buy regular $500 visa GC to meet my Citi Executive spend. It ends up costing me $14 to load/unload $1000. Target Amex however would cost me $12 to clear $1000 assuming no fees on the ATM side. Best case scenario, a savings of $2 but requires 3 ATM withdrawals. Am I overlooking something?

flyertalker9867674 Feb 7, 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff (Post 22110201)
Picked up one at Target in Burleson, TX yesterday. just south of DFW

Damn you and your population of non-money launderers!

BBPlaya13 Feb 7, 2014 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tofe (Post 22308528)
so its $3 per load per $1000 then three ATM withdrawals to get the money out which is $9 at minimum correct? this is based on my last experience. I am trying to understand if it just makes sense for me to buy regular $500 visa GC to meet my Citi Executive spend. It ends up costing me $14 to load/unload $1000. Target Amex however would cost me $12 to clear $1000 assuming no fees on the ATM side. Best case scenario, a savings of $2 but requires 3 ATM withdrawals. Am I overlooking something?

First ATM withdrawal each month is free, take that into account as well.

I have 2 AFTs, load/unload each for $2k, total cost is $36.

Tofe Feb 7, 2014 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by BBPlaya13 (Post 22308667)

Forgot about that first free ATM withdrawal. In any case, buying $500 GC with $6.95 fee and loading to BB still works out to be cheaper -> For $2k it is ~$28 + gas to drive to WM (negligible for me since its less than 1mi away). I am only trying to find the cheapest way to meet my $10k spend for Citi Exec. I do realize Target Amex is another avenue but since I have two BB's I think I will go with the Visa GC's > BB. If anyone has a better alternative, please let me know. thank you.

Tofe Feb 7, 2014 11:21 pm

Wait, I just re-read what you wrote. So you have 2 AFT's that you load with 2k total or 2k each? Is the $36 for total of $2k or $4k load?

OnTheRocks Feb 8, 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Tofe (Post 22308735)

Wait, I just re-read what you wrote. So you have 2 AFT's that you load with 2k total or 2k each? Is the $36 for total of $2k or $4k load?

That works out to $36 for 4k total so 2k each card

Minos Feb 8, 2014 11:28 am

My local Target is a pain. Half of the time they refuse to reload the card with an AMEX gift card. Any idea how to bypass this hurdle?

Their computer show "No Target GiftCard" but given how educated they are, they make up rules and this somehow translates into "No Giftcard"

Minos

healthnut Feb 8, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Minos (Post 22311144)
Mu local Target is a pain. Half of teh time they refuse to reload the card with an AMEX gift card. Any idea how to bypass this hurdle?

Their computer show "No Target GiftCard" but given how educated they are, they make up rules and this somehow translates into "No Giftcard"

Minos

What are they saying as to why they won't accept them? Your name's not on it?

If that's the case, order personalized ones. I have not tried AMEX GC's before but the CC kiosk is so far from the cashier, they could not see what I am putting through there. They didn't even ask.

Minos Feb 8, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22311531)
What are they saying as to why they won't accept them? Your name's not on it?

If that's the case, order personalized ones. I have not tried AMEX GC's before but the CC kiosk is so far from the cashier, they could not see what I am putting through there. They didn't even ask.

Well, the usual music. You can't reload with a gift card. This is a Target policy, even if their screen displays "No Target Gift Card".

healthnut Feb 8, 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Minos (Post 22311659)
Well, the usual music. You can't reload with a gift card. This is a Target policy, even if their screen displays "No Target Gift Card".

So are they physically seeing the card or is it coming up as a GC on their computer?

rdover1 Feb 8, 2014 2:20 pm

Moved to Wiki