FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

glocklt4 Dec 9, 12 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19825555)
Bad news. Went back today - same problem. Target not allowing Amex gift cards to load the Target Amex prepaid. I checked the Amex gift card balance to make sure it was fully loaded, so that's not the issue. I successfully loaded the Target prepaid using my Amex Gold, but that's a booby prize as far as I'm concerned.

So try Visa/MC instead...

farwest101 Dec 9, 12 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4 (Post 19826238)
So try Visa/MC instead...

I tried Vanilla Visa already, couldn't get to work. Have you been able to get to work???

I can get all credit cards I've tried to work, but that is a waste of what was one of the few outlets to cash out decent quantities of Amex gcs...

Will try once more. I called in and registered the Amex gcs (took 25 minutes including 10 minute initial hold due to "high call volume"). Perhaps that might help.

glocklt4 Dec 9, 12 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19826283)
I tried Vanilla Visa already, couldn't get to work. Have you been able to get to work???

I can get all credit cards I've tried to work, but that is a waste of what was one of the few outlets to cash out decent quantities of Amex gcs...

Will try once more. I called in and registered the Amex gcs (took 25 minutes including 10 minute initial hold due to "high call volume"). Perhaps that might help.

I used a MC $500 gift card (about 2 weeks ago though). Haven't tried amex or visa.

the_jaguar Dec 9, 12 9:37 pm

just got a temp card and split loaded with a visa GC and regular CC, so it still works...

ThePointsCollector Dec 9, 12 9:50 pm

On those cards it says $3 per load. Lets say I use 3 different cards on one occasion. Would they charge $9 for load or $3 ?

ThePointsCollector Dec 9, 12 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar (Post 19826594)
just got a temp card and split loaded with a visa GC and regular CC, so it still works...

Did they charge $3 on each card or $3 total on load?

cardinalkid1891 Dec 9, 12 10:19 pm

Used a MC gift card today, so just another confirmation that it still works.

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 19826657)
On those cards it says $3 per load. Lets say I use 3 different cards on one occasion. Would they charge $9 for load or $3 ?

It would be $3. The fee is imposed once per load, it doesn't matter how you fund that 'load'. It could be with 3 different cards, the register just splits the payment for that transaction.

tonyflyer Dec 9, 12 10:23 pm

$3 total if you can find a knowledgeable cashier who knows how to do split tender load.

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 19826660)

booyaa Dec 9, 12 10:35 pm

you dont even need a cashier to split if you are draining gift cards. Register will automatically deduct all that it can from card and then ask for next payment method.

the_jaguar Dec 9, 12 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 19826660)

$3 total, and as others have pointed out the register is clever enough to empty out the first card and load the remaining amount from the next card.

forextrader Dec 10, 12 7:49 am

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19826283)

farwest 101 - is your Amex Gift Card the kind where the 15 digit card number is "flat" or "raised"?

The flat numbers are with the cards that have a set amount (for example $200) - the raised numbers are with the cards that you can load from $1 to $3000.

I know I have used several of the "raised number" cards, no problems at all, including yesterday.

I have never tried the "flat number" cards - perhaps their is a difference as far as loading Target cards is concerned - just a thought.

farwest101 Dec 10, 12 11:31 am

Originally Posted by the_jaguar (Post 19826594)

Where are you located? And what type of Visa gift card did you use? (Vanilla, GiftcardMall-Blackhawk)

farwest101 Dec 10, 12 11:37 am

Originally Posted by forextrader (Post 19828237)
farwest 101 - is your Amex Gift Card the kind where the 15 digit card number is "flat" or "raised"?

The flat numbers are with the cards that have a set amount (for example $200) - the raised numbers are with the cards that you can load from $1 to $3000.

I know I have used several of the "raised number" cards, no problems at all, including yesterday.

I have never tried the "flat number" cards - perhaps their is a difference as far as loading Target cards is concerned - just a thought.

All the Amex gift cards are printed that I've ever seen (even the $3K ones bought directly from Amex). You can't load them.

The Amex gcs worked like a charm until this weekend. Now, they are being rejected. I registered them (never had to before), so hopefully that's the problem. Will make a trip today to see if that resolves the problems.

farwest101 Dec 10, 12 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19829497)
The Amex gcs worked like a charm until this weekend. Now, they are being rejected. I registered them (never had to before), so hopefully that's the problem. Will make a trip today to see if that resolves the problems.

Ah, success! After registering the Amex gcs, they are now working again...

Registering Amex gcs can only be done by phone, so it's a pain, but better than the alternative...

the_jaguar Dec 10, 12 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19829446)
Where are you located? And what type of Visa gift card did you use? (Vanilla, GiftcardMall-Blackhawk)

bay area. Vanilla card.