FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

ttlmmky Dec 6, 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap (Post 23954321)
Well, cashiers are not confused about splitting payments ($996 + $7 etc.) and loosing 15 points or miles / month (180 per year) is not that significant loss IMO.

$997 + $3 makes a nice, round number for AGCs.

There's nothing to be confused about really, just swipe AGC #1 with $1,000 balance and the register will auto drain it. Then the cashier will say $3 please.

touristtrap Dec 6, 2014 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky (Post 23954539)
There's nothing to be confused about really, just swipe AGC #1 with $1,000 balance and the register will auto drain it. Then the cashier will say $3 please.

...as long as u r not dealing with my cashiers:confused:

TAWS Dec 6, 2014 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky (Post 23954539)

I did this one time and the cashier messed up. It turned out my card never got $1000 loaded and had to call Amex and fax them the receipt to fix it.

Haleyb Dec 6, 2014 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell (Post 23952041)
No... each card had a very minimum balance on it before the 12/5 load. I guess it let me load $6000 over that 28 days -- must have been a fluke. I'll try to re-load $1000 each when my 11/24 load drops off.

Not a fluke.
You can load 6k if you load the last 2k in a single transaction.

Every month.
It gets mentioned every now and again in the thread.

weezl Dec 7, 2014 5:31 pm

How many AFT, RB, BB, Serve can one have per SS#?

I know you cannot have Redbird with BB or with Serve (one only of the 3 allowed per SS#) and I am pretty sure you CAN have AFT with Redbird, with BB or with Serve, but how are you getting >1 AFT per person? I assume that you are not talking about 2 AFTs split between one person and their S.O., because it would not make sense that the above posts on max loads cannot be >$5000 for both cards. How would both cards be looked at together by Amex if they are owned by separate people?

This then leads me to believe that one person can have 2 AFTs, is this true? AND they can have these 2 AFTs with a Redbird, or with a BB or with a Serve card?
And if that is true, between them and their S.O., they can have 4 AFTs with 2 Redbirds, or with 2 BB or with 2 Serve cards?

The Wiki is not clear here. It implies "both" cards as such:

Max 1 purchase per ss# per day....

Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.

but does not spell it out.

Once clarified, I'm happy to update the Wiki.

THANKS!

Edit: While I'm at it, what does the Wiki mean wrt multiple loads?

Q: Why load multiple accounts in one transaction?
A: to avoid multiple $1003 transactions on same CC in minutes. This may trigger a fraud alert.

Loading 2 AFT cards with 2 separate swipes of the same CC could trigger a fraud alert. Shouldn't the Q be:
"Q: Why you should NOT load multiple accounts in one transaction"

rama13 Dec 7, 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 23958530)
This then leads me to believe that one person can have 2 AFTs, is this true?

Yes

AND they can have these 2 AFTs with a Redbird, or with a BB or with a Serve card?

Yes

And if that is true, between them and their S.O., they can have 4 AFTs with 2 Redbirds, or with 2 BB or with 2 Serve cards?

Yes

weezl Dec 7, 2014 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by rama13 (Post 23958605)
Yes
Yes
Yes

Thanks, Wiki updated. Seems like one could come up with a load schedule on the Wiki for 4 cards if they wanted to be so bold. Too bold for me...

bworrell Dec 7, 2014 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Haleyb (Post 23955174)
Not a fluke.

Every month.

Interesting. I've been following this thread from the beginning and must have missed that. I think I'll stick with the $2K loads per time... might as well!

JunkDiver Dec 8, 2014 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Haleyb (Post 23955174)
Not a fluke.

Every month.

Never heard of this. So would the setup be thus?
You have 2 AFTs, already loaded $2K on each earlier. You reload both of them for $1K each in 1 transaction for a total of $6K ($3K on each)?
This helps a lot actually.

zgrzfg Dec 8, 2014 4:44 pm

I must miss something. How can you load two cards in one transaction?

Originally Posted by JunkDiver (Post 23961408)
Never heard of this. So would the setup be thus?
You have 2 AFTs, already loaded $2K on each earlier. You reload both of them for $1K each in 1 transaction for a total of $6K ($3K on each)?
This helps a lot actually.

ttlmmky Dec 8, 2014 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by zgrzfg (Post 23964094)
I must miss something. How can you load two cards in one transaction?

Just like you buy two gallons of milk in one transaction. Instead of paying for the first load, ask the cashier to swipe your second card.

weezl Dec 8, 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ttlmmky (Post 23964518)
Just like you buy two gallons of milk in one transaction. Instead of paying for the first load, ask the cashier to swipe your second card.

Does that cost $3 or $6 for the load(s)?

dcpilgrim Dec 8, 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 23964835)
Does that cost $3 or $6 for the load(s)?

$6.

nadir576 Dec 11, 2014 11:09 am

It must be mentioned here but I am not seeing a reference here. Does this card allows you to WD the money, more than you have in your account, essentially going into -ve balance?

Slickw Dec 13, 2014 8:14 am

Originally Posted by nadir576 (Post 23980496)
It must be mentioned here but I am not seeing a reference here. Does this card allows you to WD the money, more than you have in your account, essentially going into -ve balance?

Choose credit card instead of checking and see what happens.

nadir576 Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Slickw (Post 23990528)
Choose credit card instead of checking and see what happens.

I am pretty sure no one uses this card as a credit and it is mainly use as to WD money from no or little fees ATM. I am seeing -ve balance on one of my cards where I accidentally WD more money that it has.

Blootch Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Anyone else having trouble loading with VGCs? I've been sitting on two that I had intended to feed to Kate...after several fruitless trips to WM, figured I would just load my AFT. Went to service desk as I always do and the rep told me "oh no, you can't use any of those gift card types to load"

Perhaps this is a YMMV. Seemed strange

Mrmeatus Dec 13, 2014 7:41 pm

Where in NJ?

Slickw Dec 14, 2014 5:43 am

Originally Posted by nadir576 (Post 23991301)
I am pretty sure no one uses this card as a credit and it is mainly use as to WD money from no or little fees ATM. I am seeing -ve balance on one of my cards where I accidentally WD more money that it has.

I know everyone uses it to drain via ATM. My point is maybe choosing "credit" instead of "checking" when withdrawing from the ATM might account for it, similar to a CA, regardless of whether it should allow it.

Blootch Dec 14, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Mrmeatus (Post 23993100)
Where in NJ?

Fairfield store

smoothmunkey Dec 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blootch (Post 23993007)
Anyone else having trouble loading with VGCs? . . . Went to service desk as I always do and the rep told me "oh no, you can't use any of those gift card types to load"

The system allows any payment method accepted in store, aside from Target GC. Could be that the CSR is misinformed, has been instructed by a supervisor (fraud concerns), or is confused by the message on the screen about Target GC. You could try another Target, or another cashier/CSR. If you continue to be told that, you could try politely asking the CSR to try swiping and see if the system will allow it (it will).

adlibitum Dec 15, 2014 5:01 pm

2 vgcs in one transaction

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23996778)
The system allows any payment method accepted in store, aside from Target GC. Could be that the CSR is misinformed, has been instructed by a supervisor (fraud concerns), or is confused by the message on the screen about Target GC. You could try another Target, or another cashier/CSR. If you continue to be told that, you could try politely asking the CSR to try swiping and see if the system will allow it (it will).

And to confirm, if I load two vgcs of, say, $500 and then $497, I would enter PINs for both? I assume I need to allow $3 load fee?

Thanks

jsmithj88 Dec 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum (Post 24003183)
And to confirm, if I load two vgcs of, say, $500 and then $497, I would enter PINs for both? I assume I need to allow $3 load fee?

Thanks

run as credit

Bryant Leeds Dec 16, 2014 4:47 am

Originally Posted by adlibitum (Post 24003183)

Thanks

Maximize your loads / reduce the fee %: pay the $3 with a credit card or another card (load the full $1k + fee)

andimal Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am

Has anyone gotten this error message when trying to add their second card to the online account?
"Authentication failed. You have exceeded the maximum attempts allowed for authentication and your session has been ended. Please contact Customer Service at 1-888-872-9105 for assistance."
CS was clueless about this error, but tried a variety of things to reset the account, none of which worked. Any ideas?

EkekoBWI Dec 28, 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Blootch (Post 23993007)
Anyone else having trouble loading with VGCs? I've been sitting on two that I had intended to feed to Kate...after several fruitless trips to WM, figured I would just load my AFT. Went to service desk as I always do and the rep told me "oh no, you can't use any of those gift card types to load"

Perhaps this is a YMMV. Seemed strange

Bad interpretation of the "no Target GC" policy.

seahawksunite Dec 28, 2014 5:35 pm

delete.

FindAWay Dec 29, 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by andimal (Post 24062956)
Has anyone gotten this error message when trying to add their second card to the online account?
"Authentication failed. You have exceeded the maximum attempts allowed for authentication and your session has been ended. Please contact Customer Service at 1-888-872-9105 for assistance."
CS was clueless about this error, but tried a variety of things to reset the account, none of which worked. Any ideas?

Yes. Several reports. Unfortunately, you probably need to create a second login for the second card. One person reports an unintended benefit from this though (search this thread ).

bugjuice11 Dec 29, 2014 11:18 am

Is this card discontinued? I went in 5 targets, all 5 had no cards and 1 of those 5 had an empty rack showing where the cards would have been. The other 4 targets had no rack at all. I dont know if I should keep checking back at the 1 with the empty rack for a new shipment.

andimal Dec 29, 2014 11:36 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 24067378)
Yes. Several reports. Unfortunately, you probably need to create a second login for the second card. One person reports an unintended benefit from this though (search this thread ).

Definitely interested in that. Unfortunately, trying to create a new account gives me the same error message!

trubador Dec 29, 2014 1:36 pm

anyone else having problems loading their cards? I have $3700 on my two cards with 4 $1000 transactions in the last 30 days (2 on each) and I can't get the last $1000 to load. I may just hit the ATM and try again.

bworrell Dec 30, 2014 6:02 am

Originally Posted by bugjuice11 (Post 24067859)
Is this card discontinued? I went in 5 targets, all 5 had no cards and 1 of those 5 had an empty rack showing where the cards would have been. The other 4 targets had no rack at all. I dont know if I should keep checking back at the 1 with the empty rack for a new shipment.

It depends on location. They're still all over our Utah Targets....

bugjuice11 Dec 30, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by bworrell (Post 24071844)
It depends on location. They're still all over our Utah Targets....

thank you for letting me know.

miadeals Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

They shut my account down with no notice.

Logged in today and it says "closed."

Called and they told me I have to call back in 3-5 days, the account is being reviewed internally.

The last time I used my card (bout a month or two ago) I had a failed load at Target, and had to go through all the hoops (faxing in, etc) to get them to straighten it out.

My balance is only a dollar but I can't get it in any way. Thank god it wasn't higher!

cbn42 Jan 25, 2015 12:39 am

Please continue the discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...et-2015-a.html