FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

FederalFlyer Dec 8, 12 5:47 pm


Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19820397)
Sadly, looks like they have stopped allowing Target Amex prepaids to be loaded with Amex GCs. My usual gc load was denied today on the screen after swiping and giving last 4 digits of my gc. Worked like a charm before. Anyone having similar issues?

Bums me out as this was a prime method of gc churn for me...

I wonder if all GC loads are blocked? Or just amex?

tonyflyer Dec 8, 12 7:13 pm

Have not tried Amex GC but Visa GC/Debit loads today worked fine.


Originally Posted by FederalFlyer (Post 19820633)
I wonder if all GC loads are blocked? Or just amex?


farwest101 Dec 9, 12 3:45 am


Originally Posted by tonyflyer (Post 19820926)
Have not tried Amex GC but Visa GC/Debit loads today worked fine.

Good. I'm hoping that my problem was that I had bought the Amex GC about 20 minutes prior to my attempted load at Target and that the cashier was just spewing the same "we don't allow gcs to buy gcs" mantra.

I've since read that Amex puts a several hour hold on the funds as fraud prevention (but isn't mentioned anywhere that I know). Will retry later today and report back. I'm really hoping the short time between buying the gc and attempted load is the problem!

Question: Which sort of Visa gc did you use? Vanilla or Giftcardmall type?

JoeJetplane Dec 9, 12 7:05 am

(sorry, posted in wrong thread...)

st.exupery Dec 9, 12 7:51 am


Originally Posted by tonyflyer (Post 19820926)
Have not tried Amex GC but Visa GC/Debit loads today worked fine.

It's not clear to me which Visa gift or pre-paid cards can be registered as debit.

nross222 Dec 9, 12 12:06 pm

My daughter is doing a card promotion for XXXXX airline and needs to meet the minimum $1,000 spend to earn the bonus miles. I recently obtained an AMEX for Target prepaid card while on a business trip in a state that sells the card and have now made test loads at a local Target store (located in a state that does not sell the card) using CITI, Chase and AMEX cards. All test loads showed up as purchases on each card.

In order to help my daughter meet her minimum spending requirements, I was hoping to have her use her promotional credit card to load $1,000 on my AMEX for Target card. It seems like this should work as long as both cardholders are present.

Have any of you had someone else use their mileage earning card to load money onto your AMEX for Target card?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Minos Dec 9, 12 12:10 pm


Originally Posted by skynerd (Post 16828297)
I would like to thank Astrophsx for sharing his discovery of this card at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16822687-post409.html .

The "American Express for Target" reloadable prepaid card is being tested in Atlanta, Baltimore (reportedly includes DC and much of Northern Virginia), Chicago, Denver and Miami metropolitan areas.

Edited 7/31/2011: Thanks to MyTravels for pointing out that the $10/card annual fee would add about 0.1% to the costs of depositing $1k per card every 5 weeks, and that the maximum reload per person per 28 days in the terms and conditions is $5k, not $4k. I am sorry I don't know a way to change "1.3%+" to "~1.4%" in the thread subject. Also, thanks to BeachMiles for noting "Baltimore test area includes Washington DC and much of Northern Virginia."]
.

Anyone knows of a no-fee ATM in the Atlanta area. PM me if necessary.

I am asking since this card is tested in the Atlanta market and have not yet found any fee-free ATM around here despite all my best efforts.

Minos

AlohaDaveKennedy Dec 9, 12 12:17 pm

Which bank? There are many card tricks out there.


Originally Posted by nross222 (Post 19824016)
My daughter is doing a card promotion for XXXXX airline and needs to meet the minimum $1,000 spend to earn the bonus miles. I recently obtained an AMEX for Target prepaid card while on a business trip in a state that sells the card and have now made test loads at a local Target store (located in a state that does not sell the card) using CITI, Chase and AMEX cards. All test loads showed up as purchases on each card.

In order to help my daughter meet her minimum spending requirements, I was hoping to have her use her promotional credit card to load $1,000 on my AMEX for Target card. It seems like this should work as long as both cardholders are present.

Have any of you had someone else use their mileage earning card to load money onto your AMEX for Target card?

Your thoughts are appreciated.


nross222 Dec 9, 12 12:26 pm


Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 19824087)
Which bank? There are many card tricks out there.

I understand that there are many card tricks out there. I've used pretty well all of them. My question though is limited to the use of the AMEX for Target card and whether my daughter would be permitted to charge $1,000 to her BofA card when adding money to my AMEX for Target card.

mrstraveler Dec 9, 12 1:32 pm

I've checked my local Target and they don't sell these cards. Will check out others in the area in the coming weeks. But I don't believe my area is part of the "test" market.

JoeJetplane Dec 9, 12 1:36 pm


Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19820397)
Sadly, looks like they have stopped allowing Target Amex prepaids to be loaded with Amex GCs. My usual gc load was denied today on the screen after swiping and giving last 4 digits of my gc. Worked like a charm before. Anyone having similar issues?

Bums me out as this was a prime method of gc churn for me...

After his last rant, I would sure hate to be the person who has to explain this one to Mein Fuhrer.

forextrader Dec 9, 12 1:55 pm

No problem about 1 hour ago loading $1000 with SPG Amex onto Target Amex Prepaid

jrreynolds Dec 9, 12 2:22 pm

Have to wait before loading
 
You tried to load the Target card to soon after purchaing the gift cards.
I have done the same, bought visa gift cards from Staples and called when they didn't go through. Even though they were activated, it takes up to 17-20 minutes beofre you can use them.






Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19822358)
Good. I'm hoping that my problem was that I had bought the Amex GC about 20 minutes prior to my attempted load at Target and that the cashier was just spewing the same "we don't allow gcs to buy gcs" mantra.

I've since read that Amex puts a several hour hold on the funds as fraud prevention (but isn't mentioned anywhere that I know). Will retry later today and report back. I'm really hoping the short time between buying the gc and attempted load is the problem!

Question: Which sort of Visa gc did you use? Vanilla or Giftcardmall type?


somogyi03 Dec 9, 12 5:23 pm

I tried using Amex gift cards to load my target card and the cash register would not take the gift card. I was able to use my charge card. Posted as purchase on my charge card.

farwest101 Dec 9, 12 5:35 pm


Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19822358)
Good. I'm hoping that my problem was that I had bought the Amex GC about 20 minutes prior to my attempted load at Target and that the cashier was just spewing the same "we don't allow gcs to buy gcs" mantra.

I've since read that Amex puts a several hour hold on the funds as fraud prevention (but isn't mentioned anywhere that I know). Will retry later today and report back. I'm really hoping the short time between buying the gc and attempted load is the problem!

Question: Which sort of Visa gc did you use? Vanilla or Giftcardmall type?

Bad news. Went back today - same problem. Target not allowing Amex gift cards to load the Target Amex prepaid. I checked the Amex gift card balance to make sure it was fully loaded, so that's not the issue. I successfully loaded the Target prepaid using my Amex Gold, but that's a booby prize as far as I'm concerned.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.