FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

ddallas Dec 28, 2012 2:44 am

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 19931754)
Can't verify. ... He told me to get another card. Asked him if another form of ID was acceptable, like a passport, was told no. Asked what if I didn't drive a car. He put me on hold and said to bring some bills to the store. I have a feeling it's a bunch of BS.

Can't wait to hear how that goes. They have a hard enough time following the prompts on the register without something not following the script. I guess it is worth a try but I think it might be faster to get an updated driver's license.

forextrader Dec 28, 2012 4:57 am

My mom had an old New York State "non driver" license ID - she used this to buy her original Amex Target temporary card. Everything worked just fine at the purchase stage.

However, she had huge issues to get her card verified by Amex Target - I did some online research and found out that in 2010 (give or take a year) New York State changed something in the way they produced licenses.

I suggested to my mom that she go to Motor Vehicles and apply for a new ID, which she did.

Once she had new ID, she called Amex Target and asked them to try and verify her address details again - within 24 hours I could see online that her account had been verified.

So I would suggest getting your drivers license updated.

mbodio Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am

yes, I have been able to use an Amex Prepaid card to fund my Target card.

nross222 Dec 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by reaper99999 (Post 19913201)
Yea, I believe only the Targets that sell the reload cards can do reloads. So basically there is no use in getting a card from a Target outside your area if none of the Targets in your area sells the reload cards.

This has not been my experience. I bought a card in Colorado (a state where cards are sold at local Target stores) and have refilled that card in Washington (a state where such cards are not sold in my area). No problem. In and out in two minutes.

cardinalkid1891 Dec 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Reloading the cards at stores/states that DON'T sell them is definitely a YMMV experience.

nwflyboy Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm

deleted

(sent via PM instead)

webazoid Dec 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Does the one free $400 ATM widthdwal per month refer to calendar month, day of first transaction, etc? Also, how much is safe amount to withdraw every month or how much have u been withdrawing per month?

cardinalkid1891 Dec 28, 2012 6:10 pm

The free $400 ATM withdrawal is per calendar month. No one knows how much is safe to withdraw. I know someone who has withdrawn as much as $2000 in a month. Probably not the smartest move, but I think AMEX makes enough money off the $3 ATM and reload fees that it isn't hunting down people who abuse the ATM privilege.

Nottafatslob Dec 29, 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by webazoid (Post 19935775)
Does the one free $400 ATM widthdwal per month refer to calendar month, day of first transaction, etc? Also, how much is safe amount to withdraw every month or how much have u been withdrawing per month?

Someone must have thought of a trick to get money off this card by now :D

The only free ATM's I know of are $200 limit and that is a slow crawl to remove that amount once a month. Take it to PM if you don't want to post it publically. Hmmm what could I buy that I can turn into cash with little or no fees??

mnscout Dec 29, 2012 10:42 am

Originally Posted by forextrader (Post 19932115)
My mom had an old New York State "non driver" license ID - she used this to buy her original Amex Target temporary card. Everything worked just fine at the purchase stage.

However, she had huge issues to get her card verified by Amex Target - I did some online research and found out that in 2010 (give or take a year) New York State changed something in the way they produced licenses.

I suggested to my mom that she go to Motor Vehicles and apply for a new ID, which she did.

Once she had new ID, she called Amex Target and asked them to try and verify her address details again - within 24 hours I could see online that her account had been verified.

So I would suggest getting your drivers license updated.

Yeah, I guess, that's the only way, although I was told that I would still have to get another card regardless.

thetobster12345 Dec 29, 2012 6:09 pm

has anyone tried funding this with a target gift card? it says "using any tender type accepted by Target" in the terms and conditions

MileMiser Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by thetobster12345 (Post 19940652)
has anyone tried funding this with a target gift card? it says "using any tender type accepted by Target" in the terms and conditions

Target POS system pops up with a warning when card is scanned for reload.."item cannot be paid for with a Target gift card". Cashier must acknowledge warning. Almost certain POS is hard coded against it.

TTnC4me Dec 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by thetobster12345 (Post 19940652)

Not permitted

Nottafatslob Dec 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891 (Post 19935892)
The free $400 ATM withdrawal is per calendar month. No one knows how much is safe to withdraw. I know someone who has withdrawn as much as $2000 in a month. Probably not the smartest move, but I think AMEX makes enough money off the $3 ATM and reload fees that it isn't hunting down people who abuse the ATM privilege.

To pay them the $3 ATM fee plus whatever the ATM you are using charges doesn't make sense to me. If you pull $400 and even if you know of a free ATM then add the $3 fee you paid to load the card. Even if you risked card closure and loaded the Max allowed of 1k in one load say twice that is $6 loading for 2k and then 5 ATM $3 Fees to pull the 2k so $21 in fees on 2k.

Just over 1% in fees so I would have to need to make a minimum spend or a bonus Really Hard in order to want to pay over 1% or more than a penny a mile.

Anybody know if you have a Target CC if you can transfer funds from the PP to the CC for little or NO Fee some how?

Superorb Dec 30, 2012 4:16 pm

These things are everywhere in CO Target stores. I've seen them on multiple cashier lanes and every Target store I've been to (and I go to almost all of them in the metro area for work) has a healthy supply of these.

I don't have one and I just saw this thread. No CVS stores in CO so I've been looking for ways to help meet minimum spend on my recent AOR without buying beans.

Has anyone tried buying a Money Order with the ATC?

StephenW Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 19945019)
These things are everywhere in CO Target stores. I've seen them on multiple cashier lanes and every Target store I've been to (and I go to almost all of them in the metro area for work) has a healthy supply of these.

I don't have one and I just saw this thread. No CVS stores in CO so I've been looking for ways to help meet minimum spend on my recent AOR without buying beans.

Has anyone tried buying a Money Order with the ATC?

You'd essentially have to find a place that accepts CCs for MOs, which would eliminate the need to load the ATC to begin with.

The PIN is only used for ATM withdraws, not PIN-based debit purchases.

Superorb Dec 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by StephenW (Post 19945261)
You'd essentially have to find a place that accepts CCs for MOs, which would eliminate the need to load the ATC to begin with.

Ahh, gotcha.

Nottafatslob Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by StephenW (Post 19945261)

But how would you get the money off there without paying over 1% to make it worth it? Will the question have to me asked for weeks and months?

DaveInLA Dec 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob (Post 19946150)
But how would you get the money off there without paying over 1% to make it worth it? Will the question have to me asked for weeks and months?

I don't see the Target AMEX as a moneymaker. It's more of a way to meet minimum spend and to consolidate/liquidate gift cards. For example, I took advantage of the Staples Visa/MC gift card deal about a month ago, so I ended up with ~$2K in Visa gift cards ($200/each). Target AMEX was perfect for this.

booyaa Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19946237)
I don't see the Target AMEX as a moneymaker. It's more of a way to meet minimum spend and to consolidate/liquidate gift cards. For example, I took advantage of the Staples Visa/MC gift card deal about a month ago, so I ended up with ~$2K in Visa gift cards ($200/each). Target AMEX was perfect for this.

Exactly. I consolidated almost 30 rebate cards using Target Amex. Went to CS counter to do it so wouldn't hold up checkout line. Then used Amazon Payments to cash out. Pretty painless. $3 well-spent IMO.

DaveInLA Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 19946244)
Exactly. I consolidated almost 30 rebate cards using Target Amex. Went to CS counter to do it so wouldn't hold up checkout line. Then used Amazon Payments to cash out. Pretty painless. $3 well-spent IMO.

You used the Target AMEX to fund Amazon Payments? That's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of that. But isn't this a way to get the good ol' AMEX FR if you load $1000 and then pay $1000 in a short amount of time?

booyaa Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19946420)
You used the Target AMEX to fund Amazon Payments? That's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of that. But isn't this a way to get the good ol' AMEX FR if you load $1000 and then pay $1000 in a short amount of time?

I used it for some small regular purchases at Target too. And I am not doing some crazy withdrawals like some people are. Everything in moderation. My purpose of getting the Target Amex was solely to consolidate and cash out rebate cards, and since rebate cards come in such small amounts, it's only once in a while I get enough to go load $1000.

StephenW Dec 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob (Post 19946150)

Same question I've been fiddling with as well. Like others have mentioned, I used this to help meet my minimum spend for a mini-AOR I just did.

QL_714 Jan 1, 2013 2:20 pm

Can you load this with a BB?

Superorb Jan 1, 2013 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714 (Post 19954801)

Why would you want to?

ferrari_fan Jan 1, 2013 2:29 pm

• Pin is for ATM use only and not for POS transactions.
  • Cannot use to load BB.

the_jaguar Jan 1, 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714 (Post 19954801)

no, you cannot. I tested this out personally, and it's a no-go. need to figure out another way to liquidate.

ferrari_fan Jan 1, 2013 3:03 pm

GC=>AFT=>VR=>BB

sktnyc Jan 1, 2013 3:36 pm

AFT=>VR - will they (stores that insist on cash or debit) accept this prepaid card as a payment for VR purchase?

ferrari_fan Jan 1, 2013 3:59 pm

Only if you trick it/negotiate it :D There are stores and gas stations that don't accept GC but do accept CC. This comes in handy there.

farwest101 Jan 1, 2013 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 19946244)

Painless? Not for me. About a month ago I tried to load 5 $200 gcs and it was bloody blue murder. 4 employees plus 2 managers couldn't figure it out. 20 minutes later finally loaded each card - and I paid the $3 fee for each - I just wanted out of there and didn't argue.

It's hit or miss with Target. Mostly miss. If I had VRs available, I'd never use AEFT (American Express For Target). Still hoping fervently that VRs hit NorCal one day...so tantalizing to walk into my CVS and see 3-4 empty slots where they "should" be...

Superorb Jan 1, 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19955541)
Painless? Not for me. About a month ago I tried to load 5 $200 gcs and it was bloody blue murder. 4 employees plus 2 managers couldn't figure it out. 20 minutes later finally loaded each card - and I paid the $3 fee for each - I just wanted out of there and didn't argue.

It's hit or miss with Target. Mostly miss. If I had VRs available, I'd never use AEFT (American Express For Target). Still hoping fervently that VRs hit NorCal one day...so tantalizing to walk into my CVS and see 3-4 empty slots where they "should" be...

At least you have CVS stores, there are NONE in my state :(

farwest101 Jan 2, 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 19955602)
At least you have CVS stores, there are NONE in my state :(

A CVS without VRs is the same as no CVS. :mad:

For the time being, slogging on with the AEFT will have to do.

vacaloca Jan 2, 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ferrari_fan (Post 19955015)
GC=>AFT=>VR=>BB

Not a bad idea... although a bit convoluted. Requires a few visits to Target and CVS to liquidate a big amount.

Superorb Jan 2, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19959617)
A CVS without VRs is the same as no CVS. :mad:

For the time being, slogging on with the AEFT will have to do.

There's a better chance your existing stores will begin to carry beans than there is that CVS will begin building stores in CO ;)

farwest101 Jan 2, 2013 3:49 pm

Anyone have success loading with Citi Amex? I tried it but wouldn't load - was hoping since using Amex to load Amex, it might work. I know Cities is notorious for charging cash advance but sometimes they don't.

The Citi Amex is my most troublesome card to manufacturer spend. Guess have to buy gcs and do it that way...

Rojo Jan 2, 2013 7:01 pm

I just reloaded with Citi AA Amex... Reloaded AFT and bought some cereal in the same receipt. I had to guide the cashier step by step (I am now qualified to work at target - lol). I thought Citi was going to decline the transaction, but it went through. Cashier asked me what type of card AFT was since she had never seen it. Gave her a quick explanation and left the store. A minute later I got a txt from citi about the transaction...

StephenW Jan 2, 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 19962020)
Anyone have success loading with Citi Amex? I tried it but wouldn't load - was hoping since using Amex to load Amex, it might work. I know Cities is notorious for charging cash advance but sometimes they don't.

The Citi Amex is my most troublesome card to manufacturer spend. Guess have to buy gcs and do it that way...

I'm guessing it was probably a fraud alert trigger (declined purchase) rather than any issue with that card loading the Target AMEX.

livestrongforever Jan 2, 2013 7:27 pm

Has anyone tried loading this with AMEX prepaid cards at target. not the Amex Gift Cards but AMEX prepaid cards that you find at Office Depot.

Thanks!!!

ferrari_fan Jan 2, 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rojo (Post 19963009)
I just reloaded with Citi AA Amex... Reloaded AFT and bought some cereal in the same receipt. I had to guide the cashier step by step (I am now qualified to work at target - lol). I thought Citi was going to decline the transaction, but it went through. Cashier asked me what type of card AFT was since she had never seen it. Gave her a quick explanation and left the store. A minute later I got a txt from citi about the transaction...

Thanks for datapoint. Can you please confirm no cash advance?