FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

mshah Nov 5, 12 8:35 pm

Where do you think the bloggers picked it up from :rolleyes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-cities-2.html

caGALINDO Nov 5, 12 9:18 pm

way to bring more publicity to it... :rolleyes:

mmamminna Nov 5, 12 9:40 pm

@daveinla My BB card came in the mail in a week (registered/requested online).

jk2 Nov 6, 12 6:29 am

I bought Target AMEX prepaid card in Super Target using SPG Amex and purchase was NOT classified as "grocery". It was shown as "MERCHANDISE & SUPPLIES - WHOLESALE STORES".

mia Nov 6, 12 8:21 am

Moderator action

Two new threads discussing this product have been appended to the older discussion.

DaveInLA Nov 6, 12 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 19633154)
I bought Target AMEX prepaid card in Super Target using SPG Amex and purchase was NOT classified as "grocery". It was shown as "MERCHANDISE & SUPPLIES - WHOLESALE STORES".

I mentioned that my Target purchase with Visa was billed as a grocery purchase. I wonder if this is because it's a different type of Target (not Super), or do you think Visa and AMEX classify purchases differently?

jk2 Nov 6, 12 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19634453)
I mentioned that my Target purchase with Visa was billed as a grocery purchase. I wonder if this is because it's a different type of Target (not Super), or do you think Visa and AMEX classify purchases differently?

I have no idea. From my experience, if you buy only groceries in walmart or target, it would be classified as "grocery" (I checked it when I use Chase Freedom card), but if you purchase at those stores is a mixing of groceries/other stuff, it wouldn't be a "grocery" purchase. YMMV.

jk2 Nov 8, 12 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19634453)

Now I can say (checked myself) that AMEX and Citi classify Target differently - AMEX as WHOLESALE Store, Citi as "grocery".

bearcat74 Nov 8, 12 1:28 pm

I purchased a diet coke and some mints at a Target on an AMEX the other day to test and that showed up with the above description. Much better ROI if it will show as Grocery for me. Going to test a few others to see if there is a difference.

Marathon Man Nov 8, 12 1:35 pm

I got my TGT Amex.
Thought about it. Used it for something thereby now giving it a $0 balance.
Will sit on this one til I figure out best uses and other ways to cash out.

kunk00 Nov 11, 12 10:06 pm

did you get the spg points from this transaction?

jk2 Nov 13, 12 9:07 am

Originally Posted by kunk00 (Post 19666508)
did you get the spg points from this transaction?

Why not? it show as purchase at Target.

DaveInLA Nov 14, 12 9:39 pm

I just activated my permanent Target AMEX account and logged in. I noticed that if I click on the "set up DD" link, there's a routing number and account number, just like with BB. Couldn't I use this to pay credit card bills like you can with BB?

y2chen Nov 15, 12 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19685563)
I just activated my permanent Target AMEX account and logged in. I noticed that if I click on the "set up DD" link, there's a routing number and account number, just like with BB. Couldn't I use this to pay credit card bills like you can with BB?

I'd bet that like BB, you can only push funds in, not pull funds from another account.

DaveInLA Nov 15, 12 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen (Post 19688590)
I'd bet that like BB, you can only push funds in, not pull funds from another account.

I didn't realize that you can't "pull" funds out of BB. It's currently set up as a funding account for my AMEX credit card accounts. I haven't tried paying my CC bills via the main AMEX website, but if you're right, it won't let me. I'm not about to try it now, but what will it say?