FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

wlfng2005 Oct 30, 14 11:04 am

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23763234)
If anything, Target would have increased its cybersecurity safeguards. In any event, no point in being an ostrich, otherwise you'd have to give up Chass cards too (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ot-hacked.html).

There are several services that offer free credit report monitoring. Although the premium services offer more comprehensive coverage, the free versions are sufficient to see when there's been a fraudulent pull on your report.

The third rule of MS club, after don't call and see rule one, is CYA, and by A, I mean your credit report :D

Smoothmunkey: My concern is on how the data is stored. I'm not worried about Chase since the sensitive info is already encrypted, meaning you'll need a key to see the plain text version. However, when signing up for this Amex card for target, your driver license is recorded, and you'll need to enter your SSN. The thing is, on the confirmation page, it shows both your SSN and phone number in plain text. So I am wondering if the customer's info is encrypted at all.

cajunguy Oct 30, 14 11:31 am

I just received 2 new CC's and wanted to make sure they wouldn't bounce me for Fraud Alerts when I go to load up.

AmEx was a breeze, I used their online chat and let them know I was going to make large purchases at Target.

Citi not so easy, I guess I could have sent them a Secured Message but I decided to call. They transferred me to a Security blah blah blah group and they had to verify everything....and send a text message to me for confirmation. Then asked me what date I might be making the large purchase and how much. Of course I will be making several in the next 3 months so I through out a date and amount. Oye!

Hopefully I won't have to deal with the clerk at Target telling me my load(s) didn't happen.

nwflyboy Oct 30, 14 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy (Post 23763675)
I just received 2 new CC's and wanted to make sure they wouldn't bounce me for Fraud Alerts when I go to load up.

Happens all the time (in fact, it happens to me at Target nearly every time I go there). If that makes you skittish, this game is not for you.

smoothmunkey Oct 30, 14 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by wlfng2005 (Post 23763531)
Smoothmunkey: My concern is on how the data is stored. I'm not worried about Chase since the sensitive info is already encrypted, meaning you'll need a key to see the plain text version. However, when signing up for this Amex card for target, your driver license is recorded, and you'll need to enter your SSN. The thing is, on the confirmation page, it shows both your SSN and phone number in plain text. So I am wondering if the customer's info is encrypted at all.

Yea, I appreciate your concerns. However, I operate under the assumption that all of these systems (stores/banks/issuers/whatever) are going to be breached at some point. I choose to monitor my reports regularly, rather than going into hiding. Will I be exposed to greater risk of ID theft that way? Probably. But to MS or not to MS? That is the question.

TheDapperDon Oct 30, 14 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 23762938)
I called them and was told 7 calendar days. Will have to patiently wait.

This product has a bunch of issues. I'm not impressed with how often transactions don't work correctly.

cajunguy Oct 30, 14 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 23764928)
Happens all the time (in fact, it happens to me at Target nearly every time I go there). If that makes you skittish, this game is not for you.

Nope, I'm good ;)

Yeshu JP Oct 30, 14 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy (Post 23763675)
Citi not so easy, I guess I could have sent them a Secured Message but I decided to call. They transferred me to a Security blah blah blah group and they had to verify everything....and send a text message to me for confirmation. Then asked me what date I might be making the large purchase and how much. Of course I will be making several in the next 3 months so I through out a date and amount. Oye!

Citi blows when it comes to this. Was denied recently at target when loading the prepaid redcard and had to spend nearly 20 minutes answering every damn thing on this planet before they removed my security holds. Fortunately, I had another credit card and used it to load my target prepaid.

bworrell Oct 30, 14 8:49 pm

"Void Value Load"

I think this is a common occurrence right now. It seems to be a technical problem... this happened to one of my SO's cards. We waited about 5 days, but it was still voided and the CC charge went through. Talked to CS and they said it would be fixed in 2-4 hours... of course wasn't, so talked to them again and got someone that fixed it immediately.

Today I had the same thing happen to one of my cards. I called in and was given the run around... have to fax in receipt etc (who uses fax machines anymore?). HUCA. Then got someone to load it immediately.

lmagnott Oct 31, 14 6:20 am

Originally Posted by tracerit (Post 23760984)
Update. The charges have since posted and the funds never went into my AFT card. Another user said same thing happened to him and he went back to the store and showed them the transaction and they voided it. I wont have the time to try this until Saturday myself though.

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 23756785)
Mine ended up loading and then voiding the load later the same day. So, I called AFT and seemed to get to someone who understood. I faxed in a copy of my load receipt. I called back and was told that it looked good and my AFT account should be credited with the load within 48 hours.

After reading these two posts, I called and finally got a knowledgeable rep. The "void value load" is a known problem. You might have to call multiple times, but they do have the ability to put the money back onto your AFT card while you're on the phone. No need to go back to Target or to fax anything in.

FindAWay Oct 31, 14 6:31 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott (Post 23767950)

Originally Posted by tracerit (Post 23760984)
Update. The charges have since posted and the funds never went into my AFT card. Another user said same thing happened to him and he went back to the store and showed them the transaction and they voided it. I wont have the time to try this until Saturday myself though.

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 23756785)
Mine ended up loading and then voiding the load later the same day. So, I called AFT and seemed to get to someone who understood. I faxed in a copy of my load receipt. I called back and was told that it looked good and my AFT account should be credited with the load within 48 hours.

After reading these two posts, I called and finally got a knowledgeable rep. The "void value load" is a known problem. You might have to call multiple times, but they do have the ability to put the money back onto your AFT card while you're on the phone. No need to go back to Target or to fax anything in.

Thanks for the post. I definitely have to call again (will be call #4) as I keep hearing the 24-48 hours response and never see the funds reappear.

miadeals Oct 31, 14 3:16 pm

Yeah, I spent 45 minutes on the phone today, had to fax in receipt twice, gov ID and copy of card and still haven't seen my balance fixed, even though they said it would be. Guess its time to call again.

Edit: Finally credited. Wow that was awful.

tracerit Nov 1, 14 10:42 am

for those calling in to fix the Void Value Load problems, did they question you on your transaction activities? This is assuming you're just loading and ATM withdrawing only, which I think the majority of us are doing.

bworrell Nov 1, 14 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tracerit (Post 23774083)
for those calling in to fix the Void Value Load problems, did they question you on your transaction activities? This is assuming you're just loading and ATM withdrawing only, which I think the majority of us are doing.

No questions.

miadeals Nov 1, 14 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tracerit (Post 23774083)

Nope.

And I only have target loads and ATM withdrawals.

MSerforfun Nov 2, 14 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 23762938)
I called them and was told 7 calendar days. Will have to patiently wait.

I had the same situation happen to me. The second day, I went to the bank and told them that cash had been withdrawn from my Amex account yet no cash was dispensed. The lady told me that they perform a reconciliation of the cash dispensed versus the cash that was paid on daily basis in which, they will identify that card and the person who doesn't collect his cash.

Essentially, you're at the mercy of the bank to find your missing cash and almost 99% of the time, they will identify your card and give it its cash back. I think the problem is on Amex's network side because this issue is repeated throughout the this thread but at the end of the day, it still works out