FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

brajalle Oct 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Just to note, I'm in a location that had a ton of stores listed as having Amex for Target. Now that Redbirds are out, these stores no longer appear to have Amex for Target. They have a ton of Redbirds - I checked 5 stores, found 2 employees in total (2 diff stores) that seemed knowledgeable, they remembered the Amex for Target cards, said they got moved from the register when the Redbirds went in...and after searching in other card locations & in carts where they've pulled stock, can't locate them.

I have a strong suspicion that these cards are being pulled & trashed per corporate when the new redbirds go up. Might want to stock up now if your store still has them. Nobody thinks redbird will last forever, but these cards may be able to survive.

jeremybe Oct 20, 2014 10:16 am

Meeting Minimum Spend

I Have the Amex for Target permanent card - Haven't used it yet - Can I use this to meet minimum spend on an Amex card? Say the Platinum??

Thanks

seahawksunite Oct 20, 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by brajalle (Post 23703191)
Just to note, I'm in a location that had a ton of stores listed as having Amex for Target. Now that Redbirds are out, these stores no longer appear to have Amex for Target. They have a ton of Redbirds - I checked 5 stores, found 2 employees in total (2 diff stores) that seemed knowledgeable, they remembered the Amex for Target cards, said they got moved from the register when the Redbirds went in...and after searching in other card locations & in carts where they've pulled stock, can't locate them.

I have a strong suspicion that these cards are being pulled & trashed per corporate when the new redbirds go up. Might want to stock up now if your store still has them. Nobody thinks redbird will last forever, but these cards may be able to survive.

I just went to a store in my state which stocks them, there were more than plenty there. although my state does not have the Redcard, that might be the reason.

sfriann32003 Oct 20, 2014 11:42 am

can i bill pay using the amex for target card? Can I pay my citi card off?

healthnut Oct 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by sfriann32003 (Post 23706084)
can i bill pay using the amex for target card? Can I pay my citi card off?

No, it is not a debit card. Everything processes as credit.

GetawaysRus Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm

My bride loves it when we use our points for travel, but she doesn't like doing the dirty work.

We've got a Target store about 15 or so miles from our house that sells the AFT cards. But I haven't been able to drag her over there to sign up for a card. We have another Target store very near our home, but they do not sell the AFT card.

I have 2 questions. If I pop into the Target that does sell the card, and if I pick up a starter pack for her:
1. could I get it activated there for her if I bring her drivers license along? Or must she be there in person?
2. can I purchase the starter pack at the distant Target but then bring her and get it activated at our nearby Target store?

Thanks.

ericdabbs Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 23706477)
My bride loves it when we use our points for travel, but she doesn't like doing the dirty work.

We've got a Target store about 15 or so miles from our house that sells the AFT cards. But I haven't been able to drag her over there to sign up for a card. We have another Target store very near our home, but they do not sell the AFT card.

I have 2 questions. If I pop into the Target that does sell the card, and if I pick up a starter pack for her:
1. could I get it activated there for her if I bring her drivers license along? Or must she be there in person?
2. can I purchase the starter pack at the distant Target but then bring her and get it activated at our nearby Target store?

Thanks.

1. She should be the person present when buying the AFT. Technically its ID theft if you buy the card on her behalf because not only do you have to present the DL along you have to enter her SSN and its will mighty suspicious if you just do it for her. Never draw attention to yourself. Just tell her to sacrifice like 1 to 1.5 hrs of her life and have her come along you with you just once just to buy the card and play the safe side.

2. Yes once you buy the starter pack and register the temp card you can then load AFT at your local Target.

trouble747 Oct 21, 2014 8:26 am

How quickly can you get the temp PIN? Minutes, or hours?

GetawaysRus Oct 21, 2014 8:54 am

Maybe I can ask this question one more time. Sorry, but I didn't phrase it correctly.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 23706641)
2. Yes once you buy the starter pack and register the temp card you can then load AFT at your local Target.

What I am wondering about is this: if I make the drive to pick up a starter pack at a (more distant from home) Target store BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE IT at a register there, can I then bring my wife along with me to our local Target store (which does not carry the starter packs) and get the starter pack activated at the nearby store?

Yes, I do understand that once the card has been activated, I can reload at the nearby Target store.

OPAcolt Oct 21, 2014 9:40 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 23710834)
Maybe I can ask this question one more time. Sorry, but I didn't phrase it correctly.

What I am wondering about is this: if I make the drive to pick up a starter pack at a (more distant from home) Target store BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE IT at a register there, can I then bring my wife along with me to our local Target store (which does not carry the starter packs) and get the starter pack activated at the nearby store?

Yes, I do understand that once the card has been activated, I can reload at the nearby Target store.

so you want to "borrow" a card from the further target and bring it in to the closer store? You can't just walk out of the store with it....

0limits Oct 21, 2014 10:03 am

Originally Posted by brajalle (Post 23703191)

I've seen the same thing. My local Target seems to have gotten rid of the AFT and has Redbirds everywhere. I'm keeping my AFT for backup when CC load on Redbird goes away.

JunkDiver Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by 0limits (Post 23711225)
I've seen the same thing. My local Target seems to have gotten rid of the AFT and has Redbirds everywhere. I'm keeping my AFT for backup when CC load on Redbird goes away.

Exactly this. Redbird is all around better than AFT, but MS is all about options. Keep it around for volume as well :D

wlfng2005 Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am

Can I use this card to buy money order from USPS or walmart? Thanks

bar19900 Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am

Originally Posted by wlfng2005 (Post 23711838)

Seriously man. I'm usually nice, but good lord this is such a ridiculous question.

0limits Oct 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by wlfng2005 (Post 23711838)

Gotta ditto the "Seriously?" sentiment. Look, we were all noobs to this at one point, and exist somewhere on the noob to master spectrum, but YOU need to do some reading on your own like we all did. A lot of noobs get flamed because they haven't even done the bare minimum of research and ask 101 questions. Go to the noobie thread to ask those.

Edit: Better yet, spend some time (more than 30 minutes please) reading threads on FT - the info is here.