FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

jsmithj88 Jul 28, 14 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23268189)
I've got 10 AFTs and I didn't get a mailer with a PIN for any of them. I don't know why that's still printed on the letter.

wow, is that 10 under ur own name ????

payeco Jul 28, 14 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsmithj88 (Post 23271717)
wow, is that 10 under ur own name ????

No, that isn't possible. Two are under my name, the other 8 are in 4 different people's names. Well, technically 4 are in "my" name since my father and I share the same name.

smoothmunkey Jul 28, 14 4:11 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on why AFT doesn't limit customers to a single card with the same limits and fees :confused:
There must be a reason, but it's that time of day when my brain poses questions and then farts when I attempt to reason out an answer :o

tonyflyer Jul 28, 14 4:25 pm

Profitability & greed.

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23272140)
Anyone have any thoughts on why AFT doesn't limit customers to a single card with the same limits and fees :confused:
There must be a reason, but it's that time of day when my brain poses questions and then farts when I attempt to reason out an answer :o

mintcilantro Jul 28, 14 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23272140)

I think they are hoping you will lose one of the cards and not notice it :p

A lot of my clothing store and kohl's store credits expire from time to time.

I certainly don't understand the unbanked or the financial institutions that want to serve them

smoothmunkey Jul 28, 14 8:49 pm

Agreed, there is very likely a profit motive behind it (is there ever not :rolleyes:), but I cannot figure out what the difference is to Amex between one card versus two.

I assume that most of the target market, the underbanked, won't utilize two cards - most of them are not going to load thousands of dollars into AFT the way MSers do. They are most likely loading (relatively) small sums at the register and/or getting DD to AFT.

The more I ponder this great conundrum the more it bugs me :confused:

bobert24 Jul 28, 14 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 23271213)
Any tips on a good way to zero out the balance on these cards other than spending it?

Doing the math, with a $5000 card balance and each withdrawal "costing" $4.25 ($3 fee plus $1.25 ATM fee [1st withdrawal of month only $1.25]) you end up with $152 left.
Another $4.25 to withdraw $140 more and leaving $7.75 does not seem very efficient.

TYIA

You're trying to adjust the wrong end. If you're going to have $7.75 left over, make your next load $492.25.

unkinected Jul 29, 14 7:24 am

Originally Posted by psone (Post 22804243)
If someone needs a card, PM me and for a few bucks I'll grab you one or two and mail them. Our stores have loads of them.

Thanks for the cards psone, just got them last night! Now let's hope my Targets accept them!

exarkun Jul 29, 14 8:23 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 23273432)
You're trying to adjust the wrong end. If you're going to have $7.75 left over, make your next load $492.25.

Thanks! I knew I was missing something obvious.

workaccounttoday Jul 29, 14 9:17 am

For those of you grabbing cards for others, are you like... basically just stealing them?

Or do they allow you to walk out of there?

A store right by where my gf lives in Dallas has two lanes full of them and I was going to grab some extras but forgot to go back to do it.

EkekoBWI Jul 29, 14 10:05 am

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23273327)
Agreed, there is very likely a profit motive behind it (is there ever not ), but I cannot figure out what the difference is to Amex between one card versus two.

I assume that most of the target market, the underbanked, won't utilize two cards - most of them are not going to load thousands of dollars into AFT the way MSers do. They are most likely loading (relatively) small sums at the register and/or getting DD to AFT.

The more I ponder this great conundrum the more it bugs me

One possible intended use of AFT is, in effect, using it as a first DC to store childrens' allowance: dad loads monthly and 2 children debit from AFT monthly until they reach a hard stop. Safer--or perceived as safer--than handing children a wad of cash and more controlled.

Could also be used as a remittance system at a preferable rate to WU

smoothmunkey Jul 29, 14 10:27 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 23276119)
One possible intended use of AFT is, in effect, using it as a first DC to store childrens' allowance: dad loads monthly and 2 children debit from AFT monthly until they reach a hard stop. Safer--or perceived as safer--than handing children a wad of cash and more controlled.

That does not get at the root of my question: why not just have a limit per account, rather than per card?

dfw_plt_aa Jul 29, 14 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by workaccounttoday (Post 23275875)
For those of you grabbing cards for others, are you like... basically just stealing them?

Or do they allow you to walk out of there?

A store right by where my gf lives in Dallas has two lanes full of them and I was going to grab some extras but forgot to go back to do it.

You are stealing them if you don't get permission first. A manager might not care and could give you permission to take some unactivated cards.

mintcilantro Jul 29, 14 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 23276119)

remittance makes sense as well.

I'd prefer the serve sub accounts for allowance. It will work beautifully. I have actually started using serve sub accounts for online subscriptions. I just do a transfer for 9.99 and use it up.

This would be more difficult with AFT. Citi has a virtual accoutns feature but it's a pain to obtain compared to serve.

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey (Post 23276247)
That does not get at the root of my question: why not just have a limit per account, rather than per card?

the 5k limit is shared per account. So you can load 2k to one card and 3k to another.

rtwvagabond Jul 29, 14 6:24 pm

I give up, tried 3 times to escalate the 'could not verify your identity' to their risk dept. Each time the risk dept. indicated no go. I made sure each time the address in their file matched what was on my driver's license. Why can't I talk to someone directly in the risk dept.?!?! Absolutely ridiculous.