FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

smoothmunkey Jul 1, 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 23125813)
All of this is sage advice.

Why thank you, good sir, for your kind and dapper words :cool:

skibum3d Jul 1, 2014 10:57 am

Originally Posted by workaccounttoday (Post 23125790)
Just the last four of the last card? Or on all cards?

All cards, unfortunately.

somdave2005 Jul 1, 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 23124835)
You were told you can't load WITH prepaid cards, or you can't load prepaid cards?

If it's the first, it's usually because they get an alert that says the AFT can't be loaded with a Target gift card. You're not doing that, so you're in the clear there. Also, there's nothing that pops up on their screen that says what you're using for payment. Stand where you can see their screen next time.

If it's the second (i.e., they don't know that you're able to reload the AFT at the register) just tell them to SWIPE the AFT on their terminal (not scan it), and the screen will walk them through the rest.

Cashier told me I can't load WITH "prepaid cards." It was at guest services.

skibum3d Jul 1, 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 23126861)
Cash told me I can't load WITH "prepaid cards."

I have great luck at the service counters, I don't even bother with the cashiers any more. The service counter reps seem to be much more adept with AFTs, and much less caring about what you're using to swipe with.

somdave2005 Jul 1, 2014 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d (Post 23126877)
I have great luck at the service counters, I don't even bother with the cashiers any more. The service counter reps seem to be much more adept with AFTs, and much less caring about what you're using to swipe with.

I was at the guest services counter though...not regular cashier. When I swiped my AGC, she told me "It said you can't use prepaid cards." That's why I was wondering if something popped up on her screen. I'll just try again.

skibum3d Jul 1, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 23126918)
I was at the guest services counter though...not regular cashier. When I swiped my AGC, she told me "It said you can't use prepaid cards." That's why I was wondering if something popped up on her screen. I'll just try again.

Cool. Perhaps I'm too "bold", but I would have then gone over to a cashier had this happened to me (though again, I'm lucky around here with 6 targets close by and service counter people who know how to deal with them well enough.)

sosamo Jul 1, 2014 1:37 pm

Nope. I am sure it's just the cashier, not the screen. I had people telling me that their Manager told them no GC, any GC, not just Target GC.

So just left and went to another Target.

Tuppins Jul 1, 2014 1:53 pm

If this is indeed what she said, then yes, she was confused about what the screen says. They get a big yellow Caution triangle that says "Cannot be loaded with Target Gift Card"

Let them know that it's not a Target Gift Card, and that was the restriction that popped up on their screen. Politely, as always.

smoothmunkey Jul 1, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 23127045)
If this is indeed what she said, then yes, she was confused about what the screen says. They get a big yellow Caution triangle that says "Cannot be loaded with Target Gift Card"

Let them know that it's not a Target Gift Card, and that was the restriction that popped up on their screen. Politely, as always.

^

smoothmunkey Jul 1, 2014 2:24 pm

I've also run into cashiers too lazy (surely not illiterate) to follow the on-screen directions. Some of the CSR at the service desk near me get really annoyed when a cashier sends me over.

somdave2005 Jul 1, 2014 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 23127045)

Just got back from Target. Boy, loading this Target card is not as easy as a Bluebird.

First Target @ Guest Services: Asked to load $1K on my Target card. Swiped my $1K AGC. Cashier asked to see ID and my Card...I reluctantly handed over my AGC, when he told me I cannot load with any gift cards. Explained that its not a Target GC. He called over manager and manager said same thing. I said Thank you and left.

Second Target: Tried regular cashier this time, who didn't know how to load it and called over the guest services person. I swiped my $1K AGC and she asked for ID and card. Gave her ID and AGC, and she loaded it. She then looked at my AGC and said "can you load these with gift cards?" I said "yes, I've done it before. " Left as quick as I could. haha

Am I doing anything wrong here? Seems very ymvv on loading these. Biggest barrier being gift card loading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MDWCommuter Jul 1, 2014 7:23 pm

My preferred Target has turned into a bear recently. They must have had something happen as they now immediately react to me swiping my credit card by telling me it has to be cash or debit. :rolleyes:

So then I have to go though the pain of getting them to call a manager who then has to okay the credit card swipe. But wait, it gets better! The manager then comes over and examines the credit card to make sure it matches the AFT and couldn't give a flip about whether or not my credit card matches my driver's license. Oh boy.

payeco Jul 1, 2014 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 23128360)
Just got back from Target. Boy, loading this Target card is not as easy as a Bluebird.

First Target @ Guest Services: Asked to load $1K on my Target card. Swiped my $1K AGC. Cashier asked to see ID and my Card...I reluctantly handed over my AGC, when he told me I cannot load with any gift cards. Explained that its not a Target GC. He called over manager and manager said same thing. I said Thank you and left.

Second Target: Tried regular cashier this time, who didn't know how to load it and called over the guest services person. I swiped my $1K AGC and she asked for ID and card. Gave her ID and AGC, and she loaded it. She then looked at my AGC and said "can you load these with gift cards?" I said "yes, I've done it before. " Left as quick as I could. haha

Am I doing anything wrong here? Seems very ymvv on loading these. Biggest barrier being gift card loading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

They take longer to come but you could try getting your AGCs personalized with your name.

somdave2005 Jul 1, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23128585)
They take longer to come but you could try getting your AGCs personalized with your name.

Yeah mines were personalized with my name on them....but the cashiers always seem to ask for my ID and card, and then see that it is a gift card.

Tuppins Jul 1, 2014 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 23128360)
Second Target: Tried regular cashier this time, who didn't know how to load it and called over the guest services person.

Whoops. There's your problem. You want to head that off at the pass. If YOU can be the one to train the cashier, you're better off.

Just tell them, it's easy, just swipe it on your terminal, and it will walk you through the rest. Hasn't failed for me yet.
Also, if you want to avoid further weirdness, you can ask for a $997 load, which with the fee comes to $1k. That way you won't have to swipe multiple cards.