Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets sometime in the wee hours of the morning)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link:
Free and Low-Cost ATMs

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Will this show up as a CA?
A: No, Target is not a financial institution.

Q: Even with xxxx cards?
A: Yes, no cards will be charged a CA.

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Yes. Also the balance can be detected and drained if you ask to load more than the value on a prepaid it will just prompt you to give a second payment form. Great for draining random balances.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes. Up to 3 cards can be loaded in one transaction, but each card will be charged $3.

Q: Why load multiple accounts in one transaction?
A: to avoid multiple $1003 transactions on same CC in minutes. This may trigger a fraud alert.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: Any reason not to load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: Yes, when you have multiple small value gift cards to unload because of 7 swipe limit.

Q: The title says withdrawals are 1.3%, is that true?
A: No. Do the math. I'm not very good at math. Under 1.3% includes Costco ATM fees. It is not possible to edit a thread title, the fees are lower due to the ATM limit now being $400.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by FredFnord
Hah. Thanks. Those things are a bit silly. Just because some of us are a bit quiet.

Ah well. I guess it keeps the vandalism to a minimum.
So true. Some of us actually learn by researching/searching for answers w/o posting instead of making redundant posts that inflate post count like "How do I find a Target that sells AFT?!?!".
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by brc01
So true. Some of us actually learn by researching/searching for answers w/o posting instead of making redundant posts that inflate post count like "How do I find a Target that sells AFT?!?!".
Kind of an ironic post, no
It prevents vandalism.

The admin controls make it really easy to set a minimum post number as a permission and really hard to use join dates.

(I am an admin somewhere else, which is how I know this.)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
NOT WORTH IT

5K = $75 so 60k points on delta would = $900 spend...
agreed, aft is a horrible way to liquidate agc. Terrible, don't use it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by vinhboy
Umm... So what happened? Was the fee waived?
Yes he waived the $3 reload fee.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by brc01
I have 4 targets here and only one sells it even though it is listed on all of AMEX Target locations..

Is there I a way I can just block people on FT?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by sethjvm
Even if you did 3 cards at $400 each load pulled for free each month work? $2 for the ATM but $1200 a month pull for $6 ATM and $9 load fee's is still high..
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:28 am

I have 4 targets here and only one sells it even though it is listed on all of AMEX Target locations..

Is there I a way I can just block people on FT?
yes, just click on my username and a little menu will pop-up that will allow you to ignore me.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Even if you did 3 cards at $400 each load pulled for free each month work? $2 for the ATM but $1200 a month pull for $6 ATM and $9 load fee's is still high..
Yep, I agree. With your numbers, horrible approach.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:00 pm

Maybe this has to spelled out for some people... AFT is most worthwhile when you've already got a ton of CB and are looking to liquidate easily. Obviously, straight up CC loads at 1.3-1.5% isn't that hot.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:50 pm

yes, just click on my username and a little menu will pop-up that will allow you to ignore me.
Done... ^^
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:16 pm

Not sure if the number is right or not, or how you came up with this number.

If you are using the 3x portal for Delta, isn't it $5k = 20k points?

So $75 x 3 = $225 gets you 60k of Delta points.

You can get an extra point/mile if you use an Arrival card.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

I was being facetious. The AFT is an easy way to accelerate spending to meet 90 day minimum spend requirements. If one reviews the AGC thread, there are some pretty obvious clues regarding how to avoid losing money (albeit at the cost of time and effort.) And if you can find a surcharge free ATM, you can reduce your cost further.

Originally Posted by sosamo

Last edited by sethjvm; Apr 9, 2014 at 1:46 pm Reason: changed the comment to "reduce your cost."
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:47 pm

I was being facetious. The AFT is an easy way to accelerate spending to meet 90 day minimum spend requirements. If one reviews the AGC thread, there are some pretty obvious clues regarding how to avoid losing money (albeit at the cost of time and effort.) And if you can find a surcharge free ATM, you can reduce your cost further.
Ohhh. I see.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo

I am not sure about the delta points (maybe I should be) but even if you only got 3 individuals x $5k x 2Delta Points / $ and you valued the Delta Points at $0.01 per point, you are still coming out ahead. You get $5000 x 2 Points/dollar X $0.01 = $300 USD of Delta point value for $75 spend. You may also have meet some level of minimum spending which is what MS is about.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:16 pm

AFT is obviously not the best way to MS but it is A way to MS for miles and points. I use it to meet min spend and then I put $800 a month on 2 AFT cards. I shop at Target often and live directly across the street from a fee free ATM. It's not going to get me an Explorer Award with AA (but then again, nothing will anymore), but every little bit counts. It's slightly less than the current 100% trade bonus for US Air points at 1.5 cents a mile with my US card but I am starting to rack up my Club Carlson points and get 5/$1 with that card and I value those points very highly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.