Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: Several dozen
BTW, very creative product placement folk, if you play Coke Rewards you can flip Coke into Land's End giftcards at a 10% discount. It is a deal involving trading Coke codes for giftcard discount codes. So what do we call this new game:

Coke Dealing?

Things Go Better with Coke?

or does someone have a better name?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ya, know - you guyz are beginning to sound like a bunch of retail merchants rather than freeloaders.
Exactly. Retail merchants who buy their inventory at...retail.

What's the point of all of this if you have to resell items for just a 5-10% profit? Do you go to 10% off sales and stock up on retail items to sell later, too? Why not just buy a bunch of merchandise wholesale and sell that on Ebay?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Just had an ACL done. Used a Amex BigCrumbs GC to top off a Delta Biz 45K promo. Got $45 too.

I did query whether I could have paid for the whole operation and get reimursed by the insurance company. A little too complex and maybe risky for me. But maybe a good tack.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
oops, dup

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Jan 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:52 pm

I wanted to share my last round with the Amex Gift cards.
I buy everything in my life at Amazon so I am slanted that way, over 150 orders last year, of course with Prime free shipping.

Bought $5K in cards with the free shipping promo trial
with the BOA Virgin Card 1.5 mi @$ $7.90 in fees = 7500 Mi

Via MyPoints Portal 1 point @$ = to 2400 UA Miles = 2400 Mi

Used cards on Plastic Jungle to buy $5260 in Best Buy
Gift Cards at via MyPoints 5% discount 1 pt @$
equal to 2500 UA Miles free shipping = 2500 Mi

Go to Best Buy and purchase the Kindle Gift cards
that are good on Amazon purchases

Use via Hawaiian Airlines portal for Amazon 1 mile @$ = 5260 Mi
_________
17660 Mi for $7.90
2235 Mi @$

To me a win, win even without the Bigcrumbs $
Big crumbs would be 15260 Miles for $72.10 profit

Cheers!
JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Jan 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Went to office max last night and used my amex bus card to buy some visa gift cards (thanks for the heads up, frequent miler). As i was checking out, i thought i'd throw a litmus test at them and asked if I could ever use an office max gift card to buy another gift card on their rack. the guy at the counter said no, most companies are not allowing that to happen anymore, b/c of some kind of scam going on. I had to chuckle a little under my breath.
Thanks for checking! Yep, that doesn't surprise me. There seem to be very few stores these days that will allow you to buy gift cards using the store's gift cards.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I don't think the out of pocket will be that low, even with the steps outlined in Frequentmiler's excellent blog post. Sears and Kohl's are the only two retailers right now where this hack will work, and the "hack" itself is quite convoluted because it involves buying high-value physical Land's Ends GCs and waiting for them to show up in the mail and then going through Cartera's crappy AA mall to complete the purchase. After the items arrive you have to sell them on eBay and absorb eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping fees.

I followed Frequentmiler's advice when Sears was 10x at UR mall and made a nice bundle of UR points, but I also ended up with some stuff from Sears I wish I hadn't bought, and sold a couple of laptops and cameras on eBay at a bigger loss than I was hoping/planning for. Now, with having to wait for the Lands Ends GCs in the mail and using Cartera's shopping mall, I'll pass. Plus I don't believe anyone has confirmed that buying Land's Ends GCs from UR mall through staples.com nets the full 10x. When I bought an iTunes gift card last month through staples.com using the Ink Bold it was classified as Music, not Office Supplies. I'm waiting to see if the 5x office supply bonus hits, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Buying a Lands End GC at a Staples B&M will likely count, but you lose the 5x UR mall bonus that way, further diluting the value of this route.
Some good points here! Yes, true, the latest plan is a bit convoluted. I don't even plan to do that myself, but I will jump on the 20x if/when Sears goes back to 10x in the UR mall. Sorry to hear that you lost more money than you were hoping when you did this! I did too. I thought I would loose about 10%, but it really came to about 18% loss of cash. When you look at it as buying valuable UR points, though, in my case it came to less than a penny per point which I was very happy with. Some people did even better by selling on Craigslist (I've never tried that).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:32 pm

That said I am hauling in miles at a good clip via other avenues, but finding these miles greatly devalued due to inventory cutting in the airline industry.

Amen.

devulations at IHG
an 8 or even 12 hour trip with a long connection turns out to be 28 hours or you can spend 70k (in CO's scenario) or 50k (in AA's scenario) to get your self some place. Generally finding that points will not get me there unless I am ready to empty the points piggy bank.

I keep saying to myself I need to strategically plan and book what I have been planning for so long. Like NYE 2013 I have been on the sidelines about a Chicago NYC.....maybe not for long.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:38 am

*Just an update* -- wez become a millionaire again! 1,050,356 miles and points now in inventory without the mint or ebay.
Day, week, month or year?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:46 am
xp0

Originally Posted by QL_714
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
*Just an update* -- wez become a millionaire again! 1,050,356 miles and points now in inventory without the mint or ebay

Yeah and how many people in this "wez" business?

Wez .. my wife and I have over a million points as well ... just me by myself is 1/2 as much :P
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
When I bought an iTunes gift card last month through staples.com using the Ink Bold it was classified as Music, not Office Supplies. I'm waiting to see if the 5x office supply bonus hits, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
Where did you see the classification of Music for the ITunes gcard purchase?

I placed an order for a batch of gift cards from various stores, including Itunes, from Staples and received both the mall and Ink bonus points without a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:21 am

The royal wez, of course. My operation is structured like a business, with subsidiaries, partnerships and associates. Since I lend miles back and forth on occasion, some miles are held in reciprocal accounts awaiting my eventual use, if ever. That works well since some of my associates have immediate needs (say to catch a cruise ship in port x on date y, while I just work miles into various trips that take countries off the todo list on the fly whenever the average cost is under $250 per country. Would hardly make the game interesting if money was no object to tag countries. Kinda in the spirit of around the world in 80 days where time was the limiter. Never really got into time as a limiter for RTW trips. My personal best is no contender - took 15 days as I walked, cruised, flew, rode, swam and drove. If you really want to be a contender in the fastest RTW game, my best advice is to avoid riding camels for any segments -ugh!

Originally Posted by xp0
Yeah and how many people in this "wez" business?

Wez .. my wife and I have over a million points as well ... just me by myself is 1/2 as much :P
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:42 am

Current - best days were 70K (metal recycling), 250K (signon stripmining), 60K (debit card farming), 250K (ping ponging). Have to check for weeks and months. Year was 2,000K as that is about all I might consume annually as I'm a wingman, not a 1st class guy. Ya gotta ride on Osterizer Airlines to really appreciate being a wingman! Goal for the year is 1,000K in one week using another technique, but I may just do it in one day to assure Biggles and Fang don't party at my expense.

Unfortunately, the miles just aren't proving all that useful as I'm trying to reach those countries not on most people's todo lists (Paraguay, for example). But I did this week manage to uncover a Skymiles 80K run with a hidden country that is quite difficult and expensive to tag. I get to zip through it on the way to a much better place. Yippee!

Originally Posted by QL_714
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:54 pm

Current - best days were 70K (metal recycling), 250K (signon stripmining), 60K (debit card farming), 250K (ping ponging). Have to check for weeks and months. Year was 2,000K as that is about all I might consume annually as I'm a wingman, not a 1st class guy. Ya gotta ride on Osterizer Airlines to really appreciate being a wingman! Goal for the year is 1,000K in one week using another technique, but I may just do it in one day to assure Biggles and Fang don't party at my expense.

Unfortunately, the miles just aren't proving all that useful as I'm trying to reach those countries not on most people's todo lists (Paraguay, for example). But I did this week manage to uncover a Skymiles 80K run with a hidden country that is quite difficult and expensive to tag. I get to zip through it on the way to a much better place. Yippee!
1,000K in a week would be a dream It would work on my bucket list of Easter Island and the Falklands (I have to see those 3 foot penguins before I die).... Care to share?
Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
1,000K in a week would be a dream It would work on my bucket list of Easter Island and the Falklands (I have to see those 3 foot penguins before I die).... Care to share?
Cheers!
JudyJFLA
You and me both. I'm trying to figure out how to get 500K in AA miles this year with the new Citi Exec M/C to hit LP and some of these folks are talking about more than that in a week. If it's possible I've got some HHonors points I'd be using.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.