Getting spending up without the Mint

Old May 15, 2011, 8:11 pm

You can pay with your credit card:

car insurance
medical insurance
most of other bills (cable, cell phone bill, etc.)
buy gift card to the grocery store you go to, you can pre-pay 2-3 months in advance
find a good deal on slickdeals.net and sell it on ebay, you might not make any money (it'll cost you about 15% to sell things on ebay) but be able to hit your spending limit (computers, camera, etc)

hope this helps
Old May 15, 2011, 10:22 pm

My problem with the "buy GCs now for later spend" angle is that there seems to always be a new card with a new spending requirement, or a retention bonus to meet, or something. I feel like I shuffle cards with my wife weekly and tell her which one to use exclusively - until the next week.

So we were never catching up on the gift cards. We finally did, and now I avoid them like the plague because they just sit around and work their way to the bottom of the stack.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Just curious, what card are you using that gets you a 3+% return?
If you only use it to get to a spending threshold, plenty of cards give you 3+% return. $1500 spend (about $40 fee) for 75000 miles, for example.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by josephstern
My problem with the "buy GCs now for later spend" angle is that there seems to always be a new card with a new spending requirement, or a retention bonus to meet, or something. I feel like I shuffle cards with my wife weekly and tell her which one to use exclusively - until the next week.

So we were never catching up on the gift cards. We finally did, and now I avoid them like the plague because they just sit around and work their way to the bottom of the stack.
it's all about choices, innit?
Old May 16, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by arvin charles
Can you pass the pm along to me as well? This whole back order issue is getting me a bit antsy as to meeting the deadline...
To me as well if you wouldn't mind?
Old May 16, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by arvin charles View Post
Can you pass the pm along to me as well? This whole back order issue is getting me a bit antsy as to meeting the deadline...

Me too, please, if not too much trouble....
Old May 16, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA
PM'd both of you, so MM doesn't have to. And yes, the message is verbatim from what I rec'd.
Old May 16, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
Prepaid phone cards
Travel deposits

Originally Posted by cynicalbuthopeful
insurance
memberships
Old May 16, 2011, 9:57 am

I buy lots and lots of gift cards, for groceries, gas, hardware store, big box stores, etc. and use over several months to cover what would have possibly gone on the card anyway. Not that I am "promoting" taking advantage of the system, but some store will even give you your cash back when asked, on gift card purchases.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:09 am

PM'd both of you, so MM doesn't have to. And yes, the message is verbatim from what I rec'd.
Me too please guys. Just got 3 BA cards approved in my family. Will definitely help. Thanks
Old May 16, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by noname
I buy lots and lots of gift cards, for groceries, gas, hardware store, big box stores, etc. and use over several months to cover what would have possibly gone on the card anyway. Not that I am "promoting" taking advantage of the system, but some store will even give you your cash back when asked, on gift card purchases.
heck, please DO promote it! What stores still do that??? Used to be possible here years ago but I have been looking for other ways to cash out a GC for many moons now. I might even MR to your city and meet you for beers if you show me the places that do it where you live !!!
Old May 16, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
If someone could pm this information to me as well, I'd appreciate it. Thanks very much.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
If someone could pm this information to me as well, I'd appreciate it. Thanks very much.
If you could PM me the info when you get it, I'd appreciate it.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aegt123
Me too please guys. Just got 3 BA cards approved in my family. Will definitely help. Thanks
I'll join in with all the other beggars for that PM. Thanks guys.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Sure, why not? Add me to the PM list ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.