Getting spending up without the Mint

Old Nov 9, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Majikow View Post
The thing that catches my eye is that the same bloggers that are laying out these spoon-feeding strategies and making it plain as day how to exploit this opportunity are also getting referral money from these same banks.
I am not going to defend the bloggers detailing 100% of how to make this deal work for everyone, but have any of you read the comments on the MMS blog after he posts detailed instructions, most of the questions have no idea what he is writting about and are completly confused over how exactly this will work, then they want assurance that if they follow to the exact letter they will get the bonus and there is no adverse potential. from reading those comments i dont think there will be harm to the deal, i think that those who have been participating are ramping up efforts now becasue of a perceived threat to the program and they are goign to kill it trying to get all they can out of it before it goes away
Old Nov 9, 12, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mshah View Post
Forex fee 2% to 3%, unless you use one with no forex fee!
I do not believe I was charged a forex fee at my hotel. The receipt used the same exchange rate in and out for that day. (govt rate) They told me up front though that it depended on how much USD they had on hand. (sofitel, beijing) Makes sense if they don't have to go through the bank and just have to run back to the safe to grab a few bills a different tourist exchanged that morning. May depend on hotel policy and stuff though, so ymmv.
Old Nov 9, 12, 1:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Yes, stampeding the herd can prove deadly to all.

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
i think that those who have been participating are ramping up efforts now because of a perceived threat to the program and they are goign to kill it trying to get all they can out of it before it goes away
Old Nov 9, 12, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors
I think there is a general sense on FT that we are a lot more important to or impactful upon our counterparts (banks, stores, etc.) than we really are. Delusions of grandeur, if you will.
Old Nov 9, 12, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Yes, stampeding the herd can prove deadly to all.
Originally Posted by sk8uno View Post
I think there is a general sense on FT that we are a lot more important to or impactful upon our counterparts (banks, stores, etc.) than we really are. Delusions of grandeur, if you will.
Agreed. Keep Calm and Carry On.
Old Nov 9, 12, 3:46 pm

The Sky has Fallen

Normally this would go under "And Now for Something Completely Different."

However, for those of us customers at The First Bank of the Spook we may be seeing bonus miles this season:

http://newsmakeup.com/cia-resorts-to...r-budget-cuts/

Or not - David Petraeus just resigned.
Old Nov 9, 12, 3:53 pm

More like we are the unwanted houseguests at the party. As financial termites we are individually small, but collectively we do get noticed.

But in the end, banks rise and fall, airlines fly and crash, countries are born and die, but termites are eternal!

Originally Posted by sk8uno View Post
Old Nov 9, 12, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by tkarrade View Post
I do not believe I was charged a forex fee at my hotel. The receipt used the same exchange rate in and out for that day. (govt rate) They told me up front though that it depended on how much USD they had on hand. (sofitel, beijing) Makes sense if they don't have to go through the bank and just have to run back to the safe to grab a few bills a different tourist exchanged that morning. May depend on hotel policy and stuff though, so ymmv.
I was talking about your CC charging forex fee for the conversion. Most CC do charge when the charge is made international.
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by k2o View Post
That's what I like about you...you play the game hard and serious but look at it and yourself with a sense of humor. I don't always have a lot of comments to make but I love chuckling at your banter.
Lol
Wasnt it jimmy buffett who said if we couldnt laugh we would all go insane?

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
Hey MM,

I can't be bothered to search back for the post, but as promised i'm replying to say I got miles for my USPS MO.
Awesome
Forgot what bank that was that you was talkin bout but one does work indeed! So let em all find out own their own lol

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC View Post
Amen Brother Amen
Haha yah!
100% spot on.

Which is why the board should be used to discuss failures, rather than successes.
I tried that with a thread on what i got booted from and it caused many wars

In the end, what i have come to learn is this:

The cops (banks, security, fraud team, chase or amex compliance, whatever) know we speed and know we pass through a stop sign at 4 am cuz no one is affected. Just dont get caught by them doing it when they are out a catchin and yer a doin'

This has come to be true with all things miles
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best fraud and security folk are creative, but the field does tend to attract those that are not entrepreneur-minded. Too much money to be made playing cops and robbers on the opposing team, I suppose.<g>

I will say the creativity and effort over here is top notch. Just keep drawing all the colors within the lines.

"I tend to think that in many cases, people in here are very creative and those who work in say, fraud security or customer service management at stores or in banks are not."
Yah but the best ones aint workin for banks or stores chasing miles freaks. They work in like qatar or china haha
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majikow View Post
The thing that catches my eye is that the same bloggers that are laying out these spoon-feeding strategies and making it plain as day how to exploit this opportunity are also getting referral money from these same banks.

Now, unless these banks are totally ignoring the content of these blogs and only looking at traffic (which I find hard to believe these days when associating with the wrong so-and-so's can get you in a lot of trouble if they do something stupid), they surely must see what these same bloggers (that they are paying for referrals) are advocating.

For that reason, I think that the banks must be doing alright even with the increased payout for buying beans at certain farmers markets.

Either that, or they are hoping the bloggers will lead the sheep to the slaughter and help them weed out the less profitable customers from their customer base.

I guess only time will tell.
Agreed
And so the solution is to become a blogger too!
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshah View Post
Forex fee 2% to 3%, unless you use one with no forex fee!
Now theres a way to get baited lol

I guess it can work but if the chinese were to find all of us at a DO working this scheme en mass they would sure find a way to hold our funds. Would make vanilla chase shut down fears look like a 4 year old girl's ballet class when she is sad cuz she tripped during a new routine.
Old Nov 9, 12, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Now theres a way to get baited lol

I guess it can work but if the chinese were to find all of us at a DO working this scheme en mass they would sure find a way to hold our funds. Would make vanilla chase shut down fears look like a 4 year old girl's ballet class when she is sad cuz she tripped during a new routine.
I think the Chinese government might just be the absolute last group I'd ever play this game with .
Old Nov 9, 12, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
I think the Chinese government might just be the absolute last group I'd ever play this game with .
I concur doctor

And yet i bet the chinese are better at this than we are and may just be players
Old Nov 9, 12, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I concur doctor

And yet i bet the chinese are better at this than we are and may just be players
QFT. And I'm leaving in 6 days to live there just when I started to warm up here in the States. I hope they can teach me some new points game not introduced to the US. Vanilla has had an unintended side effect of getting cash overseas at a great discount.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: