Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: Several dozen
Lucky I passed on NS - that fish just didn't smell fresh.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:05 am

Can I get a picture and sell your story to the WSJ and NPR? This is front page stuff - frequent flyers abusing cows.

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
I found a new way to churn / get spend up without the mint. It involves dairy products, so churn is an appropriate term!

Buy milk in those big, heavy, glass bottles that have deposits associated. The deposit can be paid with a credit card or gift cards. After finishing your milk, return the bottle to the grocer. You will get cash!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by centrifuge41
I found a new way to churn / get spend up without the mint. It involves dairy products, so churn is an appropriate term!

Buy milk in those big, heavy, glass bottles that have deposits associated. The deposit can be paid with a credit card or gift cards. After finishing your milk, return the bottle to the grocer. You will get cash!
Good one but I would substitute Kegs of Beer and after finishing return the keg to the liquor store for the cash refund. You will have more friends that having a milk party LOL
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I imagine everything all of us did was perfectly within the terms they provided to us

So what i propose now is that if theyre going to shut us down for improper business, that we do the same to them

Everyone here who experienced this issue MUST write to their AGO and to the BBB. Those agencies act when they see similar complaints and ns needs to be out of biz
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:25 am

[QUOTE=Frequent Miler;19281547]
Originally Posted by piecerate
Why not just load up the account as high as you can and then cancel the account without any transactions? You'll get a check for the balance minus $5.95 (or so) for the check cutting fee
I have a unactivated new NS card in the SO's name. What would be the best way to use it fast and then get out with an almost zero balance before closure or even better yet any ideas on ways to stick it too them?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I imagine everything all of us did was perfectly within the terms they provided to us

So what i propose now is that if theyre going to shut us down for improper business, that we do the same to them

Everyone here who experienced this issue MUST write to their AGO and to the BBB. Those agencies act when they see similar complaints and ns needs to be out of biz
Yes AG's office Consumer Divison and the BBB are great places to write and perhaps google the terms Netspend Card Reviews and then any websites or blogs they are on post a lovely review.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Nottafatslob;19282197]
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler

I have a unactivated new NS card in the SO's name. What would be the best way to use it fast and then get out with an almost zero balance before closure or even better yet any ideas on ways to stick it too them?
Buy the loaders
See them all clear as charged in full at your cc
Load hard and fast
See them post as avail
Go to like $10k

Then either ach to pay the cc or do a cash advance or two at bank or buy mos at wm
Try and load $5k more
Do same
Factor in any ns fees (like $2.50 for ca) and bring it to zero
Then wait for it to close

I dont think one can load all $15k to it at once but i do think thats their rough life time of card limit before shut down
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:12 am

I had only loaded 5k and got shut down with 3500 remaining which was much faster but I didn't make many real purchases which is probably why the Cardinals bird pooped on me. [QUOTE=Marathon Man;19282354]
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob

Buy the loaders
See them all clear as charged in full at your cc
Load hard and fast
See them post as avail
Go to like $10k

Then either ach to pay the cc or do a cash advance or two at bank or buy mos at wm
Try and load $5k more
Do same
Factor in any ns fees (like $2.50 for ca) and bring it to zero
Then wait for it to close

I dont think one can load all $15k to it at once but i do think thats their rough life time of card limit before shut down
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:47 pm

Creative Ways to Meet Spending Req.

My wife and I have just received two AMEX Business Gold cards that will require a combined $10,000 spend by Jan. I think we can make it but it will be a stretch. Any suggestions on how to meet this besides just buying a lot of stuff?
Also, I assume only the actual dollars spent count towards the req. In other words, if we spend $500 on gas but receive double miles (1000), we just get $500 toward the spend req. right?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:19 pm

If you don’t know how to use NS it would be best to just leave them alone and stop making all this noise. Find some other pond to fish and stay out of the ocean without a life jacket!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
If you don’t know how to use NS it would be best to just leave them alone and stop making all this noise. Find some other pond to fish and stay out of the ocean without a life jacket!
You make me chuckle sometimes man.

You always sound like one of those people who loves to tell someone off but wont give a solution. Not that I am personally looking for one with NS at this point, but this is consistent with your postings in here. I would think many have come to ignore you for that methodology.

I imagine most of us here did pretty much the same thing with NS. I ran about $15k through it and got my money out so I was fortunate. I do not need another try with them but if you had real actual advice and step by step helpful info on this thing, you should offer it instead of say things like your post above.

To me, you sound a bit like this guy from another thread I had going:

Originally Posted by sonofzeus

Let us know what your personal banker says.

It won't apply to my bank, but it will be fun to read.

He wanted to know what MY info was, but when asked, he never did tell what bank he used in this situation when asked to help the thread by providing that info. I even asked him twice. No reply. None. So I think he was blowing smoke up peoples' arses.

Surely you have some decent tricks up your sleeve... many here do. But to sit there with your 'ways and means' and always act like you know it all just because you post these one liner snags to the thread is NOT really helping that many people. Again I dont need your tricks on this gig (and havent really ever seen any of your tricks on any gig for that matter) so I wish you would step up and offer something of use here or, as you say, "just leave [people] alone and stop making all this noise."

hey no hard feelings eh? MM

correction... the guy in that thread DID eventually tell us what bank he used. It took a bit but he did.
Now it's your turn to tell us your grande method for NS use.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
[QUOTE=Centurion;19280540] You can go way above 5k on a car purhcase if you stay away from Penske

You got that right. Penske will NOT allow over 5K CC spend.

...and that's where I pulled off this maneuver.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
You make me chuckle sometimes man.
We have been down this road many times. You know my position on these deals and it has not changed. Many have had their hard work posted because some cannot keep what they learn via a PM private. These same members now won’t even help via PM anymore. If you want to open this can of worms again go right ahead. All I ask is if you get caught fishing in a pond just move on to a new pond. No need to go kicking and screaming.

Last edited by QL_714; Sep 9, 2012 at 5:54 pm
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:42 pm

retail arbitrage

Since this thread is about getting the spend I figured someone must have at least considered retail arbitrage.
Please don't call it RA!
It will only confuse noobs like me.
lol
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:51 pm

A bunch of folks have done it. Popular toward the holiday season on "hot" items.

Check into the cash rebate sites and discounted gift cards. Saw some JC Penney last week at 67% of face.

Originally Posted by kellrobinson
Since this thread is about getting the spend I figured someone must have at least considered retail arbitrage.
Please don't call it RA!
It will only confuse noobs like me.
lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.