Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:52 pm

I remember that Serve frowns on if I was loading into my own acct and then taking the same money out either thru ATM or withdraws to my linked bank acct.

Is it ok to use Serve like Amazon where I load and send money to another Serve member and they could then withdraw the funds via ATM or linked bank acct, and vis versa or does the money received from others have to be used to pay bills?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
Is it ok to use Serve like Amazon where I load and send money to another Serve member and they could then withdraw the funds via ATM or linked bank acct, and vis versa or does the money received from others have to be used to pay bills?
That's a terrible example. You can't compare serve with Amazon Payments.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I posted upthread about my wife's woes in getting CVS to load Serve via CC (we're in MT). She took the advice of other posters, and it just wouldn't work, leading me to conclude that it works only at some CVSs.

Today we're in CA (near PSP) and it worked fine with no special tricks required. Just adding the data point... same Serve card, same woman trying it, same procedure, different state and CVS and different result. $500 loaded via an Amex SPG with no fee, no problems.

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
I remember that Serve frowns on if I was loading into my own acct and then taking the same money out either thru ATM or withdraws to my linked bank acct.

Originally Posted by Gammachu
His example isn't terrible. I believe he's trying to ask if it's better to send Serve $ to another user (as you do with AP) before withdrawing, rather than loading and withdrawing to yourself with no transfer to other individuals.

While I'm not certain of the answer, I believe that the consensus is that it's good practice to *not* simply load and then withdraw to your own bank account with no other transactions mixed in. It's allowable, but could raise flags. So yes, I think that sending the money to other users as part of your mix is a good idea, as is using bill pay (for non-Amex accounts in particular), writing checks, and other activities that appear more normal.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:32 am

?? I think you are misinterpreting his post. I dont think he is trying to compare Serve with Amz. (as we all know which is better). I believe he is asking if Serve can be used the same way as Amz payment--where Amz payments using a CC/debit card to transfer to another member and then taking the money out into the bank acct is also allowed with Serve without raising any red flags.

Last edited by sharka; Dec 30, 2013 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mooper
I posted upthread about my wife's woes in getting CVS to load Serve via CC (we're in MT). She took the advice of other posters, and it just wouldn't work, leading me to conclude that it works only at some CVSs.

I agree. I had posted before that I had trouble with my nearby CVS stores. They gave it a try and Cant load at all. I have not yet tried the other CVS further out. So right now it seems to be hit and miss and not uniform.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:58 am

His example isn't terrible. I believe he's trying to ask if it's better to send Serve $ to another user (as you do with AP) before withdrawing, rather than loading and withdrawing to yourself with no transfer to other individuals.

While I'm not certain of the answer, I believe that the consensus is that it's good practice to *not* simply load and then withdraw to your own bank account with no other transactions mixed in. It's allowable, but could raise flags. So yes, I think that sending the money to other users as part of your mix is a good idea, as is using bill pay (for non-Amex accounts in particular), writing checks, and other activities that appear more normal.
Originally Posted by sharka
?? I think you are misinterpreting his post. I dont think he is trying to compare Serve with Amz. (as we all know which is better). I believe he is asking if Serve can be used the same way as Amz payment--where Amz payments using a CC/debit card to transfer to another member and then taking the money out into the bank acct is also allowed with Serve without raising any red flags.

I probably might have misinterpreted his post, but the way I see it, the only way you can use the funds from amazon payments is you gotta transfer it out, whereas with serve, you have the option to use with the debit card, bill pay, and withdrawl, but we should know by now they don't like deposits/withdrawls. As for sending the money from your Serve card to another serve cardholder and having them withdraw it, I wouldn't know if they would care for that or not. I can't understand why people just don't use it for Bill Pay.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:22 am

How do you recommend switching from BB to Serve? Call in to BB to close account, then apply for Serve?

Originally Posted by whitey4545
Originally Posted by babehwa
Thanks...am still using BB right now. Thinking about switching to Serve next cycle when I use up all the remaining balance. Hopefully it won't be a 31-day-wait like others who switch from Serve to BB.
I just want to give my data point with using Serve and switching from Bluebird to Serve:

When I made the switch I had to call in to cancel my BB account. I was dumb and hadn't fully read the switching forum and asked the CSR if I needed to wait to sign up for Serve. The CSR told me that there was no need to wait so I imediately went to sign up for Serve. I got a notice saying that my account was being reviewed and I would receive an email when a decision was made. About 3 weeks later I received an email from Serve giving me my months statement; however still when I would attempt to log in I would be met with a notice giving the same message that my account was still under review. I had called in multiple times asking to have the review done and allow me to open my account and each time the CSR would tell me that I should be receiving an email any day. Finally after 45 days I was pissed and just wanted to return to my BB account. I called asked for a supervisor and had to go through phone verification and give them detail like DOB and last four of SSN and address to confirm identity. Also they had to call me on the number that I had listed and I had to answer that phone and give all the same info again.

My experience with Serve has been documented in a previous post, but just to shorten it, and not that I don't have a CVS in my region so I couldn't do cash load for free with a CC and that is the main draw, but I tried to load with CC and use BP to pay a different CC and had my ability to load with a CC locked after my first BP. I would be very hesitant to load a Serve account with a CC and then use the BP feature to pay a CC.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:51 pm

Well, adding more data points,loading via cvs at the same store did not work for me the day before, but ok yesterday and when I just tried, it's not working again. At this point, it's just something that's flaky since it won't even let you load with cash. Hope it's not leading to something for credit card only eventually
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:12 pm

To add to the post above, I just finished going to 2 different cvs stores where I have successfully loaded serve before and now in both stores when they slide the card on the machine, it comes up as sale not authorized. I guess they're doing some kind of update on the registers.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by HRHPrincessPam
Just tested loading Serve at the CVS register with a Best Buy vgc, purchased with the $25 AmEx credit on $250 spend. Worked like a charm. Also, Club Carlson did not incur a ca fee when I tested that load to Serve at CVS. Until/unless they change their procedures, this may work for MS'ers that do not have a WM nearby. Has anyone tried an AmEx gc at CVS to load? I'm a little leary to jump in to AmEx gc unless I know it will work.
Yes, I have used Amex GCs. It worked without any problem the first time I tried. On my second attempt a different day, it charged the card and seemed to work, then the register did an immediate refund with a message that the load failed. Took a couple of days for the funds to be refunded to the Amex card. Don't have any explanation for the different results.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:53 am

Switched from BB to Serve

Just to add data point.

I closed my BB, and switched to Serve smoothly without too much of waiting. Closed the BB over the phone, and got a Serve card preloaded from CVS. Registered the Serve online on the second day, and then the system showed account under review with a successful registration. Waited to call in on the third day, and the rep cleared the pending review status right away. I'm able to shop around with the temp card, and just now waiting for the permanent card to arrive!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

To add to the post above, I just finished going to 2 different cvs stores where I have successfully loaded serve before and now in both stores when they slide the card on the machine, it comes up as sale not authorized. I guess they're doing some kind of update on the registers.
Same thing happened to me last week. Have you gotten the load to work again since?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by nix7
Same thing happened to me last week. Have you gotten the load to work again since?
Yea I went to both of them yesterday and went through smoothly loading with credit card.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:50 pm

Talking

Another data point to add.

Went to my favorite CVS today to reload my temp card. Tried to load $300 with 3 GCs(Christmas gifts!), but the 3rd one didn't go through. The system popped out a msg saying something about "Another Payment method needed", can't quite remember the exact msg. In the end, I paid $300 with 2GCs & my CC. So I'm guessing the maximum GC amount is only up to 2 cards at once. I have to say, after the new Serve launched, I love this one better than BB! Can finally no longer rely on the beans!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:55 am

Today we're in CA (near PSP) and it worked fine with no special tricks required. Just adding the data point... same Serve card, same woman trying it, same procedure, different state and CVS and different result. $500 loaded via an Amex SPG with no fee, no problems.

Hi Mooper! If I load $500 Amex SPG to Serve via CVS, will it counts toward my minimum purchase to get bonus. I see that wiki says no points/mile but how about "charges" to meet minimum bonus.

Anyone knows the answer to my question then please chime in. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.