Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Quick question about limits. The cash load limit is $2.5K per day and $5K per month and the debit card load limit is $200 per day and $1K per month. I've been getting prepaid VISA cardd (gowallet) at OfficeMax or Staples, adding a PIN, and then loading them via Walmart Money Center. These loads are considered cash? (I have loaded a bit more than $1K this month and nothing has been rejected.)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Quick question about limits. The cash load limit is $2.5K per day and $5K per month and the debit card load limit is $200 per day and $1K per month. I've been getting prepaid VISA cardd (gowallet) at OfficeMax or Staples, adding a PIN, and then loading them via Walmart Money Center. These loads are considered cash? (I have loaded a bit more than $1K this month and nothing has been rejected.)
The VGCs that you are loading counts towards 2.5k daily/5k monthly limit. The debit card load limit of 1k (1.5k for softcard) is for the online debit card load.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:31 pm

Used 2k AAA visa gc's to load my Serve (my name) at Walmart via registers on 12/24.

Today, in a different city, I tried to load 500 AAA visa GC to my SO's Serve (her name) at Walmart via registers but was denied for "Invalid PIN". I tried this 3 more times at 2 different Walmarts using 3 different AAA visa GC's and rec'd "Invalid PIN" on all attempts. 1 of these cards, I called and re-entered the PIN and then tried at Walmart again and rec'd the same error. All 4 of these AAA visa GCs were bought at the same time.

I am sure I got the PIN right. And I have not hit the 5k monthly limit on my SO's Serve (not even close).

Anyone ever encounter this before?

My only hypothesis is that b/c these AAA cards literally have my name and address attached to them and I'm trying to load a Serve card in a different name (though same address), that it is kicking it out as an "Invalid PIN".

Am a little worried about cashing these out now.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MilesGator
Used 2k AAA visa gc's to load my Serve (my name) at Walmart via registers on 12/24.

Today, in a different city, I tried to load 500 AAA visa GC to my SO's Serve (her name) at Walmart via registers but was denied for "Invalid PIN". I tried this 3 more times at 2 different Walmarts using 3 different AAA visa GC's and rec'd "Invalid PIN" on all attempts. 1 of these cards, I called and re-entered the PIN and then tried at Walmart again and rec'd the same error. All 4 of these AAA visa GCs were bought at the same time.

I am sure I got the PIN right. And I have not hit the 5k monthly limit on my SO's Serve (not even close).

Anyone ever encounter this before?

My only hypothesis is that b/c these AAA cards literally have my name and address attached to them and I'm trying to load a Serve card in a different name (though same address), that it is kicking it out as an "Invalid PIN".

Am a little worried about cashing these out now.
I'm pretty sure Metabank was (and possibly is still) doing maintenance today. This could be your issue.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:18 am

New member here. I just finished reading the 90 something page newbie thread and about the last 30 pages of this thread. I learned a good deal of information over the past couple days and I thought I had my mind made up and I was gonna roll with Serve instead of BB as I'm located within a minutes walk to CVS/FD/WM and a bank that's on the Amex network for free ATM withdrawals.

It was my understanding that with a Serve card I could load my account with a credit card at CVS. I would just need to watch which card I use to avoid CA charges. Then I start reading the wiki here and the first thing I notice is "
Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only". Has this changed recently?

It seems as if people are still using credit cards to fund their Serve accounts. Are they just doing this over the web(1K max per month) and at WM stores? I thought I had this all figured out until I read that CVS was cash only. Hoping that just applies to loading GC's and Debits. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the wiki. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 am

Depositing cashiers checks and money orders count toward the daily/monthly check deposit limits and not the cash deposit limits, correct?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by istayfly
New member here. I just finished reading the 90 something page newbie thread and about the last 30 pages of this thread. I learned a good deal of information over the past couple days and I thought I had my mind made up and I was gonna roll with Serve instead of BB as I'm located within a minutes walk to CVS/FD/WM and a bank that's on the Amex network for free ATM withdrawals....

It seems as if people are still using credit cards to fund their Serve accounts. Are they just doing this over the web(1K max per month) and at WM stores? I thought I had this all figured out until I read that CVS was cash only. Hoping that just applies to loading GC's and Debits. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the wiki. Thanks!
You cannot load Serve with credit card at CVS or any other merchant. You can load Serve online with CC, 1k max/month with regular Serve or 1.5kmax/month with SoftServe.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:24 pm

Reloadit

Anyone having trouble loading Serve with Reloadit today?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:25 pm

It was my understanding that with a Serve card I could load my account with a credit card at CVS. I would just need to watch which card I use to avoid CA charges. Then I start reading the wiki here and the first thing I notice is "

When they first started having serve loads at CVS you could use a CC. that only lasted about a month IIRC. You can only use cash now.

WM you can use cash or debit. No CC.

You can still use a CC to load $1k/mo online yes. just watch out for the ones that post as cash advance.

Thank you for reading up, btw
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:31 pm
jyx

New to Serve. Read the wiki, realized that the names between CC and Serve need to match. Seems that AU may do the trick. Wondering how Serve may find out the SSN of the CC holder.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:00 pm

anyone have experience switching from verizon softcard to att softcard in the same month? What is the turn around time? Would love to put through two sets of loads in one month... gift horse; face... i know!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant
anyone have experience switching from verizon softcard to att softcard in the same month? What is the turn around time? Would love to put through two sets of loads in one month... gift horse; face... i know!
The switch should be pretty fast, but I don't think you'll get an additional set of loads in the same month.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New member here. I just finished reading the 90 something page newbie thread and about the last 30 pages of this thread. I learned a good deal of information over the past couple days and I thought I had my mind made up and I was gonna roll with Serve instead of BB as I'm located within a minutes walk to CVS/FD/WM and a bank that's on the Amex network for free ATM withdrawals.

First of all, thanks for reading.

Secondly, you may want to make your reading more efficiently - primarily because things change often, old information can often become outdated fairly quickly. Read the WIKI of each related thread. and then the LATEST 10 to 15 pages of such threads to get the most updated information - this way you would not get some very outdated, year-old info such as the CVS CC load to Serve.

Thirdly, use a NotePad and do copy-paste on info that you feel need to remember as you are reading - this way you do not need to go back to search something you have read but not remember clearly.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:31 am

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here. I tried to use my DiscoverIt Credit Card to load my American Express Serve (normal Serve, not the Softcard). I load 1000 dollars (200 dollars per day) and the last loading was on 12-20-2014. The loading was considered purchase not Cash Advance (the monthly statement showed up just today). However, the loading was considered service but not online shopping. In other words, the Cash Rewards for the 1000 dollar loading were 10 dollars but not 50 dollars (Discover is running the 5% online cash back for this quarter-October to December).

Is this normal or not?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by wangxinqing
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here. I tried to use my DiscoverIt Credit Card to load my American Express Serve (normal Serve, not the Softcard). I load 1000 dollars (200 dollars per day) and the last loading was on 12-20-2014. The loading was considered purchase not Cash Advance (the monthly statement showed up just today). However, the loading was considered service but not online shopping. In other words, the Cash Rewards for the 1000 dollar loading were 10 dollars but not 50 dollars (Discover is running the 5% online cash back for this quarter-October to December).

Is this normal or not?

Thanks!
If they didn't consider it a purchase then you're out of luck. However, buying Amex gift cards online does give you the 5% as I got that last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.