Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by XP1
Did you try to link Serve as bank account in PayPal?

Did it get unlinked?
No, I haven't yet, but it sounds like it does get unlinked. I think it's common practice for test deposits to also be withdrawn, and if that's the reason for the unlink then I'm not sure how any of them could add Serve.

Also, though I continue to search the thread, I haven't found which banks might qualify for DD beyond PayPal. If anyone could clear this up, it would be very helpful.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

How do I get serve to provide me with a canceled check to prove that my payment has gone through?

I sent out a bill pay to pay my doctor bill. It's one of those where you need to fill the address and serve is suppose to mail the check. The only thing I see from my account is that my payment was scheduled on this date and it was delivered 5 days later. The doctor's billing staff told me they have no record of receiving such payment.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
How do I get serve to provide me with a canceled check to prove that my payment has gone through?

I sent out a bill pay to pay my doctor bill. It's one of those where you need to fill the address and serve is suppose to mail the check. The only thing I see from my account is that my payment was scheduled on this date and it was delivered 5 days later. The doctor's billing staff told me they have no record of receiving such payment.
Call Serve and open up a case.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9Benua

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Call Serve and open up a case.
And DONT use manual payment again.

People need to realize Serve/BB is NOT a regular bank account - only use it for what it does the best - pay bills to the payees that are in its data base by electronic check.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy
And DONT use manual payment again.

People need to realize Serve/BB is NOT a regular bank account - only use it for what it does the best - pay bills to the payees that are in its data base by electronic check.
Or if you do, take screenshots of pages containing important info before and after, with confirmation.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:31 am

Can someone please explain what exactly is a "Vanilla Swipe Reload" and how does one execute it?

i think a lot of people are having this same question and the ones that keep answering don't provide a detailed answer.

Originally Posted by DrForce
FD reloads are Vanilla Swipe Reloads.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:36 am
XP1

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
Can someone please explain what exactly is a "Vanilla Swipe Reload" and how does one execute it?

i think a lot of people are having this same question and the ones that keep answering don't provide a detailed answer.
A swipe reload is when you take the reload card to the register, the cashier scans the barcode, you swipe your destination card, cashier enters the amount, and you swipe your source card.

Funds from the source card are loaded to the destination card swiped at the register.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:13 am

How is that going to work when the "reload card", ie VNR & moneypack don't 'exist' anymore? are all the retailers that used to get VNR & MoneyPacks getting sent some generic barcodes specifically for this transation?

I've been reading on Vanilla reload website and it almost seems like now they're claiming that you bring your Serve card to the register and it gets swiped and then loaded with some method (hopefully CC method). in that case, how are the fees applied? How does the clerk know to tack on 3.95$ to the load, or for that matter 4.95$ for MoneyPak? can i just argue with the clerk and say "you should actually load it as a vanila reload and not a moneypack so i can save myself $1?"

i have more questions than answers and it doesn't seem well thought out or at minimum not well explained.

i have a very great and reliable source where i've been getting both VNR and MoneyPacks with CC but they've been extremely weary of transactions because of scams so it took a while to develop relationships. i highly doubt they're going to get some training so me going there next week all of a sudden trying to do this with a direct Serve load will no doubt confuse them or trigger some questions.

Originally Posted by XP1
A swipe reload is when you take the reload card to the register, the cashier scans the barcode, you swipe your destination card, cashier enters the amount, and you swipe your source card.

Funds from the source card are loaded to the destination card swiped at the register.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:51 am

"And DONT use manual payment again."

Can you explain this? I have been using manual payments without problems. it seems like sending a check to a business should be an easy thing for American Express to do.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
How is that going to work when the "reload card", ie VNR & moneypack don't 'exist' anymore? are all the retailers that used to get VNR & MoneyPacks getting sent some generic barcodes specifically for this transation?
It will work the same exact way Serve reloads work right now at Walmart and REDCard reloads work at Target. As explained prior, you simply slide the prepaid card you want to load (Serve), tell the cashier how much you want to load, then swipe your debit/GC/CC (if allowed) to actually load the card. This is exactly how it works right now for Serve at Wal-Mart, you do not need to bring anything other than your Serve card to the register, and there is no fee for loading this way as well (at WM).

Of course these other stores may elect to have just one generic barcode to scan to initiate the transaction as you suggested as well.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Ttitle

Can you explain this? I have been using manual payments without problems. it seems like sending a check to a business should be an easy thing for American Express to do.
It's risky/troublesome to do manual payments because you could have a typo in the address, the recipient might reject it because they don't know what the hell it is, etc. Whereas if the payee is in the Serve database there is no risk of that happening.

The only reason to use manual payment is if you are afraid paying the CC you used to load the Serve card will get you flagged. Has anyone reported having an account flagged/suspended/shut down for paying the CC you used to do online loads to your Serve account? I've only done it a handful of times (new MSer here) and have never had an issue
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ttitle

I've used manual payment successfully for some local obligations, but I first send a test payment to see if it works. However, a few people have had problems with using bill pay for their rent. The solution is to send the rent check to yourself, and then deliver it to the landlord.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:02 pm
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
BB to SoftServe, referrals?

1. I want to cancel BB and get SoftServe. Are there any referral offers for Serve/SoftServe?

2. Same, but how about sign up bonuses or credits, again for Serve/SoftServe?

3. I signed into the app and activated my account by accident. I'll try to contact customer service about the Softcard referral offer (I also may just delete this account and make another one).

Code:
Assuming I can get them to apply it, can someone "refer" me? PM for my email.
Edit: PM received. Thanks!

Last edited by daringtofly; Dec 19, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by god_forbids
1. I want to cancel BB and get SoftServe. Are there any referral offers for Serve/SoftServe?

2. Same, but how about sign up bonuses or credits, again for Serve/SoftServe?

3. I signed into the app and activated my account by accident. I'll try to contact customer service about the Softcard referral offer (I also may just delete this account and make another one). Assuming I can get them to apply it, can someone "refer" me? PM for my email.
For you to get the $10 amazon GC, you need to click from the email you receive from Softcard. You do all of it using your phone and once your registration is successful, you get the higher CC/DC load limits; you can then do all your Serve business using your laptop or desktop.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ritley572
It's risky/troublesome to do manual payments because you could have a typo in the address, the recipient might reject it because they don't know what the hell it is, etc. Whereas if the payee is in the Serve database there is no risk of that happening.

The only reason to use manual payment is if you are afraid paying the CC you used to load the Serve card will get you flagged. Has anyone reported having an account flagged/suspended/shut down for paying the CC you used to do online loads to your Serve account? I've only done it a handful of times (new MSer here) and have never had an issue
None. BB has been in existence for almost 2 years now. Nobody has reported issues with bill pay to CCs.

Originally Posted by rabatt
I've used manual payment successfully for some local obligations, but I first send a test payment to see if it works. However, a few people have had problems with using bill pay for their rent. The solution is to send the rent check to yourself, and then deliver it to the landlord.
There is another issue that is how the payee process the payment check.

It did not work for one poster in the BB thread because his apartment management used electronic deposit, i.e. scan the check image to deposit - the BB checks do NOT support this function, and the check was bounced.

If you MUST use the Serve/BB mechanism to pay your bills that only a manual check would do - transfer the money to your linked bank account and then pay from your real bank account.

Amount under $2000 transferred quickly, often next day. Amount over $2000 often takes the full 5 business days because it goes to under review first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.