Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I'm also new to this MS world and tried a debit initial serve load at FD and they said no credit, only debit.

I only did $100 and it was denied. Didn't try a VGC but my actual CC
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by civicmon
I'm also new to this MS world and tried a debit initial serve load at FD and they said no credit, only debit.

Seriously? You tried to load from a CC directly?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:34 am

I have read the Wiki but not necessarily the entire thread. I have been using Serve card now for a while but have not done much MS with the card. Primarily used for regular purchases by loading with debit card bought at Grocery store using the old AMEX Blue thereby giving me 5% cash back - fees on all purchases. Serve card is also linked to ISIS loaded on my son's Android phone (only Android device in house, rest are iPhones) and used his phone for pay with ISIS deals occasionally. Thinking of buying a NFC cashwrap so I don't have to borrow my son's phone. Hence the following questions came to mind:

Does Serve issue Authorized user cards?
Is the Authorized User card number same as primary(live VISA / MC or like AMEX)?
Can the second authorized user card be linked to a second phone without deleting the primary card linked to the existing phone number for ISIS purposes?
Does having an authorized user card increase the potential for more AMEX Sync deals in the future?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:27 pm

Isn't what you said contradictory? How can you try a debit transaction with a CC? What would have entered as the PIN? My goodness. Please don't make this same mistake at a WM or else you will just look dumb.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
Originally Posted by AK321
After reading through FT for months, I finally took the step into the realm of practice and got a Serve account and did couple of loads with CC. It was a daunting first step!! Thanks for all the help that were in the posts.

I am still struggling with a question and cannot seem to get my head clear. One of my main intent is to pay Mortgage via Serve,and get some points. The Mortgage is more than $1K load limit on Serve via CC. I know that the answers are interspersed through this thread, and I do apologize for asking it: what is a good way to load Serve beyond $1K and also *get points*. Possibilities I can think of are:

1. VGC (incurs upfront cost to buy them) & assuming that can be loaded at WM as a debit card. True? (I get the points on the CC I purchase VGC's on);
2. Ask spouse to open another Serve account; load via her CC; and transfer some funds to me (no upfront cost; I do not get points but family as a whole does);
3. Is Amazon Payment an option? Transfer from AM to Serve? Guessing not?
4. Any other?

Will appreciate the guidance/thoughts.

Add a debit card to your serve account and you can go up to 2000. If your mortgage is more than 2000, you may add serve as bank account and withdraw to it from the receiving Amazon payment accounts.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

Try doing thorough research before running off all willy nilly and doing stuff.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Seriously? You tried to load from a CC directly?
That reminds me of the very small window where this could be done at our favorite drugstore for no fee.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Basically, i went to a Family Dollar store a couple of days ago and loaded my Serve card with a Vanilla GC debit, it worked fine. Went there yesterday to do the same, it was the same cashier. After i asked to reload my Serve, he then asked me how much i wanted on the card, i told him $200. He then walks away to talk to his manager, returns and tells me that "he's going to take my debit the last time for the transaction" and next time, i'll have to bring cash. I was going to argue with him and tell him a piece of my mind, but i didn't even bother. I just said okay and left. Seems to me like he made that rule up himself, because they registers work just fine. Do ask him to call a manager next time or is he right about not being allowed to load Serve with a debit card?
A store manager can make up his own rules even the register is not coded. I saw it over and over at different CVSs an other WGs.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:42 pm

Hi all. I am about to sign up for Serve via ISIS (in the next few days).

Crazy thing is I have had both a BB and regular Serve card for almost a year now. The key is that when I signed up for Serve (was a long time ago--two years maybe?) they never asked for SSN. Whenever I log in to Serve there's a blurb up top asking me to provide SSN but I've never done it, for obvious reasons. My Serve card is fairly gimped (can't pay bills from it and my limits for loading from CC are really low) but it's been enough to be able to take advantage of some of the AMEX Sync offers while I used BB for MS.

Truth be told, I'm still conflicted about getting rid of BB because of the checks. I have used those several times when having contractors work at my house (often they don't take CC). But it seems that the Isis Serve has some big advantages over BB, so I think I'm ready to make the switch.

What will be interesting is whether or not I will be able to sign up for the Isis Serve without first canceling my old Serve. Wondering if the lack of SSN means it will fly under the radar or if they will flag it some other way (address and/or DOB maybe). In any case, I will cancel it too if required, but going to try to keep it alive if I can.

Last edited by bookemdano; Aug 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by bookemdano
Hi all. I am about to sign up for Serve via ISIS (in the next few days). Maybe someone could PM me more info about the $10 amazon gc?

Crazy thing is I have had both a BB and regular Serve card for almost a year now. The key is that when I signed up for Serve (was a long time ago--two years maybe?) they never asked for SSN. Whenever I log in to Serve there's a blurb up top asking me to provide SSN but I've never done it, for obvious reasons. My Serve card is fairly gimped (can't pay bills from it and my limits for loading from CC are really low) but it's been enough to be able to take advantage of some of the AMEX Sync offers while I used BB for MS.

Truth be told, I'm still conflicted about getting rid of BB because of the checks. I have used those several times when having contractors work at my house (often they don't take CC). But it seems that the Isis Serve has some big advantages over BB, so I think I'm ready to make the switch.

What will be interesting is whether or not I will be able to sign up for the Isis Serve without first canceling my old Serve. Wondering if the lack of SSN means it will fly under the radar or if they will flag it some other way (address and/or DOB maybe). In any case, I will cancel it too if required, but going to try to keep it alive if I can.

If someone can PM me about the $10 amazon thing that'd be great. I'll delete the request once someone does.
It's likely that you may get away with both accounts since you didn't provide SSN previously. That said, I had some problems getting my SO's Serve with Isis account set up after canceling her BlueBird. According to tech support (which means this may not be accurate...), her phone number was the problem and they suggested applying using a different number. Again, anything Serve tech support says has to be taken with a huge dose of skepticism. But if you can't register on the first try, maybe try using a different phone number before canceling your other account.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by dboston1
It's likely that you may get away with both accounts since you didn't provide SSN previously. That said, I had some problems getting my SO's Serve with Isis account set up after canceling her BlueBird. According to tech support (which means this may not be accurate...), her phone number was the problem and they suggested applying using a different number. Again, anything Serve tech support says has to be taken with a huge dose of skepticism. But if you can't register on the first try, maybe try using a different phone number before canceling your other account.
The phone number has to match the ISIS account. You can change the Bluebird phone number before you close it. There's no verification, so you put a fax number, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by bookemdano
Hi all. I am about to sign up for Serve via ISIS (in the next few days). Maybe someone could PM me more info about the $10 amazon gc?

If someone can PM me about the $10 amazon thing that'd be great. I'll delete the request once someone does.
I sent you info about the GC via PM.

regarding your plan to switch, if you want to keep your BB account, why not sign up your spouse to Serve-Isis (this one is better than just the reg Serve because of higher load available to you)? Then you can enjoy both but I tried both and like Serve-I a lot better even if it doesn't have paper checks.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:25 pm

Unsure if its mentioned -- anyone finding ISIS for iphone on VZW?

Seems the page is no longer loadin gproperly
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miadeals
Here's the thing though: I tried using the exact same single first line, as it is in my Barclay's profile, and it failed. IE, I put "Apt 999" and it failed. So copying the first line doesn't seem to work. As I found out, it only checks the first word/number on the first line, not the whole first line. I wouldn't be surprised if someone with "1234 main st" was able to just put in "1234" as their entire address.

I mean, it could be more complicated than that, but that's what I found out so far.

Anyways, I'll try to put everything on one line, and see what happens. But now, it let's me load - I think it only checks the address on the first time you try to "link" the card, and now you could have any address in there you want.
Not sure why it failed on you.

I learned about the issue from the Buxx thread. I updated my address on any of my cards that did not conform to the single line format as described, not just A+ but any card I may want to link to TD GO or Serve.

Address Line 1 - Street number, Street name, Apt Number
Address Line 2 - empty
City, State, Zip

No issue with TD GO nor with Serve - both were successfully added on first try.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I sent you info about the GC via PM.

regarding your plan to switch, if you want to keep your BB account, why not sign up your spouse to Serve-Isis (this one is better than just the reg Serve because of higher load available to you)? Then you can enjoy both but I tried both and like Serve-I a lot better even if it doesn't have paper checks.
Thanks all. I'm not married but am in an LTR. My GF has no problem with my getting a Serve card with her name/DOB/SSN but all her mail goes to her address in Dallas. I guess I'm not sure, but I figured that if I were to sign up for a Serve account in her name/SSN I would need to use her address. Doesn't AMEX have a way of checking that?

I know from the threads that lots of people here have additional Serve/BB cards for extended family members--do you all use that person's home address when signing up?

I mean I guess I could do that and just have her forward the card to me when it comes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.