Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Mentions of Softcard (formerly ISIS) are purely incidental to setting up and using Serve/Softcard. Softcard does not hold money, and you cannot load to it.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Normal Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Serve/Softcard Check if your phone/network is compatible
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month (NOT a gift card with a PIN that some people call a "Debit card")
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

The SD card in the iPhone case used for Softcard is account specific. Once an account has been registered to a card, it cannot be used for another.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

As of 10/09/14, coding of credit card loads changed. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as before; see below for information on point earning. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:
For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

Several people have reported no problems with loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card. YMMV.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal*, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve or Serve/Softcard
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching to Serve/Softcard
  1. Call up Bluebird or Serve and close account. Make sure your account is at $0.00 before calling. Just close it, don't ask for a temp Serve or anything. CSR will say account is now closed and you have 30 days to change your mind should you decide to re-open it.
  2. Download the Softcard mobile app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If you're an iPhone user you have to buy the NFC CashWrap case from your carrier store.
  3. Launch Softcard Mobile App and create Softcard account. You'll be asked if you want to open a Serve account; Yes you do. Start the registration through Softcard mobile app for a Serve account, once you are finished you will be told you will receive an Email from Amex with your account approval. I waited a few hours and called Serve customer service like the wiki says and completed the registration.
  4. Once I got off the phone with Serve I received an email from Serve where I verified my account and email; at this point Amex Serve is open.
  5. Launch Softcard Mobile app again click add new
  6. Activate card with Softcard and select Amex Serve. Follow the instructions & you're good to add. Once this is complete a Serve Card will populate in Softcard. Must activate physical card to get full load limits. Check account status and it automatically credits to your serve account based on who you signed up with. (Verizon - $25, T-Mobile - $50, AT&T - $30 (For AT&T: Get $15 w/activation. Earn additional $15 w/account replenishment))

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #8530
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon Payments.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Well luckily both times after the error occurred the manager on duty told me to reswipe my card to get my funds back. I then immediately went outside to call the OV phone number and confirmed my funds were still there on both cards. It wasn't until I got back home and went to onevanilla.com and confirmed that the $500 was successfully debited but then was credited $500 back on both my cards.

I consider myself lucky since it seems like others were less fortunate since the FD cashiers/manager were not aware of how to clear it out. I am just hoping everyone understands now that to clear out their error which is to tell them that you need to reswipe your card to get your funds back. I assume that is what the FD POS system is complaining about after the failed load in that it needs to return your funds to your card before the POS system resets itself to process more customers. I find it really stupid that the FD POS system would even allow the $500 to be debited if their internal system is going to reject it anyways. The FD POS system should first check to see if their system will allow the transaction to go through before it tries to debit the debit card. Its ridiculous that this kind of thing is happening in the first place. Any other store and the POS system would have rejected the transaction from even happening first before debiting your funds just like how WM did with the OVs.
Well, did you use OV? I was using VGC and the manager asked me to reswipe to get the fund back but it never went through. Now I gotta wait for him to ask his Corp instruction how to refund the money.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:59 am

I cancelled my bluebird and went to download ISIS, clicked the phone that I have (DROID RAZR Maxx) that I just got the enhanced chip for at the verizon store and it says my device is not compatible. The guy at the Verizon store seemed to think it was fine. Help!!!
doubleheader is online now Alert a moderator to this post Edit/Delete Message
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by doubleheader
I cancelled my bluebird and went to download ISIS, clicked the phone that I have (DROID RAZR Maxx) that I just got the enhanced chip for at the verizon store and it says my device is not compatible. The guy at the Verizon store seemed to think it was fine. Help!!!
I just answered this question in the other thread.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
Originally Posted by onthego15
Same timing for me. In June I made 2 Home Depot Sync purchases and 2 Exxon Sync purchases. Those 4 purchases were made on 3 different dates. All the credits posted yesterday. So, I am thinking that Serve now processes Sync bonuses as a batch.
I think you are right. I just got my credits yesterday as well. 1 Dunkin and 1 BP.

Now I just wish they would give me my $50 DD bonus. Perhaps they caught on and shut it down. There's nowhere to check the status of that, is there?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gammachu
Just received my $15 credit in my serve account today for the home depot offer from last month. Guess we really had to wait after the promotion to get the credit this time.

Edit:
Edited wiki to include Discover under the "treated as purchase earns cashback" for online credit card loads to serve.
Naw didn't have to wait until after the promotion. I got money for a purchase that I just did on last Friday (the 4th). Possible that there was an error in the system or like someone said they are doing them in batches.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:37 pm

close BB and get serve ASAP

Today I am transferring all money from BB to my bank account, and tomorrow I will call to close BB and then open serve. I have several questions:
1. I already loaded $5000 to BB. If I get serve this month, can I load another $5000 to serve? Or do they share the $5000 limit?

2. what is the best way to open serve ASAP?
according to wiki,
3) at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)

Do I have to bring $500 cash to CVS to buy a temp serve card?

thanks
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ziwei
Today I am transferring all money from BB to my bank account, and tomorrow I will call to close BB and then open serve. I have several questions:
1. I already loaded $5000 to BB. If I get serve this month, can I load another $5000 to serve? Or do they share the $5000 limit?

2. what is the best way to open serve ASAP?
according to wiki,
3) at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)

Do I have to bring $500 cash to CVS to buy a temp serve card?

thanks
If you have an Isis compatible phone, follow these instructions in the Wiki: "Adding Serve Account to Isis ".
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:06 pm

I am new to Serve and never use this feature before. I have some questions but could not find the answer in the wiki. Therefore all the answers are appreciated.
My first question is can I load Prepaid Visa Gift Card into my Serve account? If yes, how? go to Wal-mart and ask the cashier to load it and choose which option to pay? Credit or Debit? Second is can I transfer fund from my Serve account into my bank account?
Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by melonscent
I am new to Serve and never use this feature before. I have some questions but could not find the answer in the wiki. Therefore all the answers are appreciated.
My first question is can I load Prepaid Visa Gift Card into my Serve account? If yes, how? go to Wal-mart and ask the cashier to load it and choose which option to pay? Credit or Debit? Second is can I transfer fund from my Serve account into my bank account?
Thank you.
I suggest reading up.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
If you have an Isis compatible phone, follow these instructions in the Wiki: "Adding Serve Account to Isis ".
Thank you.
according to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22838889-post3746.html

1) I need to get a phone like F6 first. Do I need to go to a T-mobile store to get a secure SIM?
2) when can the $3 per day data plan be canceled? How many days do I need it?

Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:37 pm

anyone done enough digging to determine the timeframe for loads at FD? Anyone able to hit multiple FD's in a short time frame to see if it still blocks you
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Thank you.
Since some people would rather simply tell you to "go read"..even if you have already spent a huge amount of time reading and researching...and even if they know the exact answer to your question... instead of simply helping a person out and answering a question that may only require a short easy reply....

....I will do my best to help you with what little i know.

I believe BB and Serve are said to be very similar programs so they kind of follow the same rules about what they accept and do not accept. From what I can gather I believe the current thought is that neither system will accept anything "Vanilla" related...regardless of what version it is. I believe the bank version that is also said to have issues is Bancorp...but im not confident on that. From what I have deducted if you can find a gc that is not a vanilla and is not from that bank it should work. Maybe the Mastercards even though they are a bit more of a pain? I'm not sure. I have seen some people say non vanilla cards from Simon Malls still work...and cards from US Bank work...but I can not confirm either.
So from my understanding...not just "any" card will work...but if you can find the right ones they still work.

As far as how to load them....I believe you would load them exactly how you would load normal bluebird or serve...and those directions can be found with a simply google search on how to load bluebird....most importantly is to not let anyone see its a gift card.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:09 pm

Thank you.

The wiki on FT is good, but you need to do some digging.

Try this thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/churning/com...hy_amex_serve/

Mods: let me know if a link off FT is not allowed. I don't remember if there was such restriction.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:22 pm

After setting up Isis, will I ever need the case again for MS?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.