Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VENMO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Good point. That said, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this forum/thread regarding Venmo's treatment of AmEx gift cards (it sees them as a debit card and thus charges no fees to send money from them). Subject to Venmo's 6 cards per 6 months and $2999.99/week sending limit. Still probably the cheapest/easiest way to knock out minimum spend for many people. Recently ordered a 3k AGC for a new (no 24 month language) Citi AA card and sent 2999.99 to my brother. He cashed out to bank and reimbursed me via Google Wallet. Total cost was $3.95 AGC purchase fee (used a free shipping promo code). Definitely cheaper/easier than MSing the 3k with Simon VGCs which is my normal method.
Yeah there's a reason no one tries to talk about it...
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Yeah there's a reason no one tries to talk about it...
Perhaps, but this particular cat has been out of the bag for many moons. I profited more from the CVS FB deal in a week than this mechanism permits in a year so I'm not sure why it's verboten on FT when it's all over Reddit etc.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:08 pm

Good point. That said, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this forum/thread regarding Venmo's treatment of AmEx gift cards (it sees them as a debit card and thus charges no fees to send money from them). Subject to Venmo's 6 cards per 6 months and $2999.99/week sending limit. Still probably the cheapest/easiest way to knock out minimum spend for many people. Recently ordered a 3k AGC for a new (no 24 month language) Citi AA card and sent 2999.99 to my brother. He cashed out to bank and reimbursed me via Google Wallet. Total cost was $3.95 AGC purchase fee (used a free shipping promo code). Definitely cheaper/easier than MSing the 3k with Simon VGCs which is my normal method.
The max Amex GC I can get is $500. With a 6 cards per 6 month limit, it's about 3k worth of spend. It's better than nothing but it'll only be useful for 1 card.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:49 pm

Do you mind sharing where you got the 3k AGC from? I opened a few new cards, and this would pretty much knock out the minimum spend on 1 of them without the hassle of MSing.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Do you mind sharing where you got the 3k AGC from? I opened a few new cards, and this would pretty much knock out the minimum spend on 1 of them without the hassle of MSing.
Use this link and FREESHP17A coupon for free shipping.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:09 pm

Thanks JCD! you've been incredibly helpful as I dive into MS.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Thanks JCD! you've been incredibly helpful as I dive into MS.
<3
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Hi everyone. I have been quietly following the MS forum for the past year and utilizing some of the great info that is posted here. However, it has come time for a question that I just could not find the answer to. I apologize in advance if I missed it, but here it goes.

Part of my goal in this hobby is to knock out spending on a pair of DL AMX cards to get the MQM boost and maintain status. That said, I know what AMX says about gift card purchases counting for spend, but we all know differently. However, when you purchase from AMX's website, does that change? Simply put, the link JCD provided... will AMX count purchases from their own portal as eligible spend and give miles/ MR points?

Thanks in advance. I am sure this is elementary and well known but I just could not find it in writing.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

Was going to try venom, then googled "venmo expert review" and decide not use them for anything, my friends told me they are not easy to work with if any issues and use deceptive methods to sign people up. If you want use them, be cautious.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dealtimetn
Was going to try venom, then googled "venmo expert review" and decide not use them for anything, my friends told me they are not easy to work with if any issues and use deceptive methods to sign people up. If you want use them, be cautious.
They are very shutdown happy...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:18 pm

How do I know that Venmo won't charge 3% on amex gift cards? I added an amex gc to my venmo and it still shows up as credit, not debit card. Am I doing something incorrect when adding the card, there's some other way?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by nomii
How do I know that Venmo won't charge 3% on amex gift cards? I added an amex gc to my venmo and it still shows up as credit, not debit card. Am I doing something incorrect when adding the card, there's some other way?
Do a test and send $5 to someone. See if it charges you extra.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by zerosoul
And please report back. I haven't purchased an AGC yet, so I'm very interested to know the results of your test. Have 2 new cards, and will only be able to meet the bonus spend organically on 1 of them, so fingers crossed venmo doesn't charge a 3% fee.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by zerosoul
Fair statement and went ahead and did so. I was hoping to get some advice since Venmo limits you to six cards in six months. It'd be a shame to waste one on a $5 test. As a DP I loaded a standard AMX business gift card from the AMX portal and it was treated as debit. I went to the final step of payment to confirm no fee and then canceled the transaction and deleted the card. Hopefully, I can still use six other cards...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ColdIsCool
Fair statement and went ahead and did so. I was hoping to get some advice since Venmo limits you to six cards in six months. It'd be a shame to waste one on a $5 test. As a DP I loaded a standard AMX business gift card from the AMX portal and it was treated as debit. I went to the final step of payment to confirm no fee and then canceled the transaction and deleted the card. Hopefully, I can still use six other cards...
Thank you for reporting back! Looking forward to using this. I unknowingly added a different CC a few weeks ago, so I used up 1 of my 6 as well. I don't intend to put 6 different cards on in 6 months though, so it probably won't negatively affect me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.