VENMO

Old Jan 2, 11, 4:06 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: United: 1K
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
With such a small monthly limit ... Not sure it will die that quickly.
Have you used the service?
Have you confirmed the information you are posting?

I'd be more worried about what QL mentioned, this isn't a bank account and Venmo isn't too big to fail like PayPal is.
dweick is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 4:13 pm
  #17  
xp0
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by dweick View Post
Have you used the service?
Have you confirmed the information you are posting?

I'd be more worried about what QL mentioned, this isn't a bank account and Venmo isn't too big to fail like PayPal is.
I do not have an account so I can only go off of what their website/others say. But yes, my biggest fear would be like what QL mentioned and that if they go under, You might be saying goodbye to your money you have invested.
xp0 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 4:54 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Unfortunately when someone tries to warn about would could happen they are accused of wanting the deal all for themselves. Some donít care what happens as long as them make their buck or get their referrals. Please remember this is a very small startup company. If this company gets exploited the way the mint does it will not last a week.

I wonder if anyone really cares.
QL_714 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 12:53 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
This actually looks really handy for all the times I go out to dinner with friends.. I hope it doesn't die
bismark is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 1:18 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: City with Tax-Payer subsdized AA Maintance Base
Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Posts: 1,853
Originally Posted by dweick View Post
It doesn't matter what you set your cash advance limit to. Banks aren't obligated to not process a cash advance if your limit is zero and credit card charges can and are recategorized by your bank without regard to your cash advance limit.

It's been discussed many times.
Actually it does matter about setting your cash advance limit to zero.

Search for the threads about FT'ers that were able to fund a Citi Savings/Checking account with credit cards that had a cash advance limit above $0 and Citi treating the funding of the account as a cash advance.

Hence the reason for my commentary/question.
Max M is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:48 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Venmo is a small company and they will not let you use your cc for funding which is very small anyway.

My account was suspended after I got this email:

Your account has been suspended for using Venmo to provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or helping others to do so).
All of the remaining funds in your account will be refunded to the source credit card(s).

If you would like to petition for reinstatement, we request:

a scan or photograph (please ensure clarity) of a government issued ID
the following information: full name, date of birth, permanent address, social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.
a scanned copy of the attached Venmo Transaction Waiver asserting that you will not participate in any sort of attempted money laundering or cash advance activity
dolcee is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 5:16 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: United: 1K
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by Max M View Post
Actually it does matter about setting your cash advance limit to zero.

Search for the threads about FT'ers that were able to fund a Citi Savings/Checking account with credit cards that had a cash advance limit above $0 and Citi treating the funding of the account as a cash advance.

Hence the reason for my commentary/question.
Actually it doesn't matter and telling me about someone who was charged a cash advance fee when they had a cash advance limit > 0 is irrelevant.

If you search the threads for people who had set their cash advance fee to $0 and were still charged a cash advance fee you would be searching for something relevant.

One more time, the bank isn't constrained in the slightest by you having a cash advance limit of $0, they are free to give you cash advances or charge you cash advance fees for transactions that are quasi-cash transactions.
dweick is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 10:23 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
So I got invited to Venmo a week ago, and was very excited about it. I started accepting payments on it for my small company, and encouraged my clients and friends to join it. It seemed really cool, allowing customers to pay with their cellphones, or by credit card. But my company doesn't have very much liquidity, what I get paid I use to pay my provider etc. So cash flow is very important.

Being careful, before I accepted payments, I made sure that my bank account was properly linked. I then accepted payments and immediately tried to withdraw those funds to my bank account. Then, my clients received e-mails from Venmo telling them to prove their identity, and they froze my account. Myself and all my clients have to provide a ridiculous amount of information and worst of all we have to sign a legally binding document asserting that we didn't violate the Terms of Service and other things. The problem with this is two-fold. One, my clients don't know the law and won't sign a legal document like this. And two, the TOS, are literally of book length, and until I seek legal counsel I can't sign a document of that nature myself. In fact, if you read the TOS you would likely never use their service, it says that they can confiscate $2500 of your funds for little or no reason with no recourse.

So I have about $15,000 in frozen funds. It says pending to my bank account, it has said this for a while, but my clients can't pay me and it tells them that I'm frozen. I need these funds to pay my bills, because I already provided the product to my clients, who to no fault of their own, already paid. While the TOS are Orwellian, if they confiscated 2500, and let me keep the rest while things are pending, at least I'd be able to pay off my bills. But right now they are violating their own TOS.

I'd advice EVERYONE, to stay away from venmo until these types of issues are resolved. At least be very careful with the funds you put in. I am racking up credit card interest and this is turning out to be very expensive.

I will update you if things change, I'm not just a hater, I actually liked this service, until they stole all my money.
DKhanna is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:13 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Posts: 2,563
Originally Posted by DKhanna View Post
So I got invited to Venmo a week ago, and was very excited about it. I started accepting payments on it for my small company, and encouraged my clients and friends to join it. It seemed really cool, allowing customers to pay with their cellphones, or by credit card. But my company doesn't have very much liquidity, what I get paid I use to pay my provider etc. So cash flow is very important.

Being careful, before I accepted payments, I made sure that my bank account was properly linked. I then accepted payments and immediately tried to withdraw those funds to my bank account. Then, my clients received e-mails from Venmo telling them to prove their identity, and they froze my account. Myself and all my clients have to provide a ridiculous amount of information and worst of all we have to sign a legally binding document asserting that we didn't violate the Terms of Service and other things. The problem with this is two-fold. One, my clients don't know the law and won't sign a legal document like this. And two, the TOS, are literally of book length, and until I seek legal counsel I can't sign a document of that nature myself. In fact, if you read the TOS you would likely never use their service, it says that they can confiscate $2500 of your funds for little or no reason with no recourse.

So I have about $15,000 in frozen funds. It says pending to my bank account, it has said this for a while, but my clients can't pay me and it tells them that I'm frozen. I need these funds to pay my bills, because I already provided the product to my clients, who to no fault of their own, already paid. While the TOS are Orwellian, if they confiscated 2500, and let me keep the rest while things are pending, at least I'd be able to pay off my bills. But right now they are violating their own TOS.

I'd advice EVERYONE, to stay away from venmo until these types of issues are resolved. At least be very careful with the funds you put in. I am racking up credit card interest and this is turning out to be very expensive.

I will update you if things change, I'm not just a hater, I actually liked this service, until they stole all my money.
Please keep us posted in how this plays out.
johndeere19 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 4:11 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: BOS
Programs: All, but no status!
Posts: 751
This sounded like a good service until the last couple of posts! Glad I read the whole thread -- and sorry for the problems some of you are having.
pawtim is offline  
Old Jan 9, 11, 2:57 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by DKhanna View Post
So I got invited to Venmo a week ago, and was very excited about it. I started accepting payments on it for my small company, and encouraged my clients and friends to join it. It seemed really cool, allowing customers to pay with their cellphones, or by credit card. But my company doesn't have very much liquidity, what I get paid I use to pay my provider etc. So cash flow is very important.

Being careful, before I accepted payments, I made sure that my bank account was properly linked. I then accepted payments and immediately tried to withdraw those funds to my bank account. Then, my clients received e-mails from Venmo telling them to prove their identity, and they froze my account. Myself and all my clients have to provide a ridiculous amount of information and worst of all we have to sign a legally binding document asserting that we didn't violate the Terms of Service and other things. The problem with this is two-fold. One, my clients don't know the law and won't sign a legal document like this. And two, the TOS, are literally of book length, and until I seek legal counsel I can't sign a document of that nature myself. In fact, if you read the TOS you would likely never use their service, it says that they can confiscate $2500 of your funds for little or no reason with no recourse.

So I have about $15,000 in frozen funds. It says pending to my bank account, it has said this for a while, but my clients can't pay me and it tells them that I'm frozen. I need these funds to pay my bills, because I already provided the product to my clients, who to no fault of their own, already paid. While the TOS are Orwellian, if they confiscated 2500, and let me keep the rest while things are pending, at least I'd be able to pay off my bills. But right now they are violating their own TOS.

I'd advice EVERYONE, to stay away from venmo until these types of issues are resolved. At least be very careful with the funds you put in. I am racking up credit card interest and this is turning out to be very expensive.

I will update you if things change, I'm not just a hater, I actually liked this service, until they stole all my money.
If you run a business (well, even with personal finances), you can't afford to not read the T&C of anything you touch. Period! You will run into bankruptcy in no time!

Venmo says that it is a small operation intended for small amounts of money and by small they mean the cost of splitting a meal or a movie between friends ($10-15)!

When you get close to their limit you get flagged. In your case you were big time abusive of their system. They can't eat the cost of the CC transactions.

I agree that what they request to undo the freeze is a joke. In your case the fiasco is huge as you can't ask them to reverse the payments since you already provided the goods (it will be hard to get paid for the stuff you already provided). I think you should ask them to pay their expenses about 3-4% of the total and release the money to your bank.

I feel bad for you but you can only blame yourself.
dolcee is offline  
Old Mar 1, 11, 7:39 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FAT, LHR
Posts: 6,558
Thanks for the post. Was thinking about using this service, but may second guess it now.
chanp is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 12:24 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CMH
Posts: 891
Does anyone have a recent experience with this?
FlyerInCmh is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:10 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh View Post
Does anyone have a recent experience with this?
Can you say banned?
QL_714 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 11, 8:20 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 209
I think they banned us all plus anybody who ever sent or received money from one of us.
ddutil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread