VENMO

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:53 pm

Yeah, the date wasn't there when I checked earlier today, arggh!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone found a useful alternative to Venmo beyond Williampaid and Amazon? I just need something for single-direction transfers.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: many
Thanks for the sweet times venmo, one more dance before the sunset.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
So I am reading this as a yes but want to make sure that "fee-free credit card transactions until May 1st" includes transactions on May 1st also, so I can do a $2K on May1 without the fee? Until includes May1, starting May 2 the fee starts?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I just saw the email and because it is poorly worded it is ambigious, but the bottom part clearly states starting May 1 they will charge (regardless of what until means)

So, what's changing?

Until May 1st,
You can continue using Venmo the way you do now.
You can opt to switch to bank payments at any time by following a few simple steps. Click here to switch now.

Starting May 1st for you (and starting today for new users),
To continue using Venmo for free, you must switch to bank payments.
If you still want to use your credit card, you can set it as your funding source, but you will be charged 3% to cover credit card processing fees.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
So I am reading this as a yes but want to make sure that "fee-free credit card transactions until May 1st" includes transactions on May 1st also, so I can do a $2K on May1 without the fee? Until includes May1, starting May 2 the fee starts?
Honestly, the only way to know will be to take a look on May 1, but I interpret it to mean that they will be charging the fee effective on May 1. I would love to be wrong!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:42 pm

Can I get an invite please?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Telesf
Can I get an invite please?
Because new members are charged fees there isn't much point in signing up at this point. But if you really want an invite PM or post your email and I'll send you one.

Any bets on whether the no-fee policy makes it through April? Myself and XThousand other people will all be sending mass amounts over the next few weeks. For example I was previously sending $1500-$2000 a month total between 3 accounts. Now I will be sending $2000 each month from each account for a total of $6000 per month. all of my accounts are legitimate identities, so I have no concern if I have to verify my information.

When the goose stops laying golden eggs, it's time to fire up the oven!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:47 pm

seems like people are getting different emails, and I suppose that is based on historical usage.

below is mine. note that there is no "no-fee" credit card transaction. Everything gets hit with a 3% charge. Looks like a few lucked out and still have a no-fee limit of <$2000.

"At Venmo, we believe payments should be fun, fast, and easy. We also believe that payments between friends should always be free.

Today, we are taking a big step towards this vision. We are launching free and instant bank payments, which means you can fund payments from your bank account instead of a credit card. We've worked very hard to ensure that these payments are just as easy, fast, and secure as credit card payments.

So, what's changing?

Until May 1st,

You can opt to switch to bank payments at any time by following a few simple steps. Click here to switch now.

If you still want to use your credit card, you can set it as your funding source, but you will be charged 3% to cover credit card processing fees.
When you're signing up your friends, you should know that they can send their first $500 from their credit card for free."
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DrSifu
seems like people are getting different emails, and I suppose that is based on historical usage.

below is mine. note that there is no "no-fee" credit card transaction. Everything gets hit with a 3% charge. Looks like a few lucked out and still have a no-fee limit of <$2000.

"At Venmo, we believe payments should be fun, fast, and easy. We also believe that payments between friends should always be free.

Today, we are taking a big step towards this vision. We are launching free and instant bank payments, which means you can fund payments from your bank account instead of a credit card. We've worked very hard to ensure that these payments are just as easy, fast, and secure as credit card payments.

So, what's changing?

Until May 1st,

When you're signing up your friends, you should know that they can send their first $500 from their credit card for free."
I spoke to them about this via email and even asked they grandfather the true pioneer customers (the very few of us who were with them from their first couple months of business). My response came from a support tech, not a manager, so it's not the final word, but here is the summary:

1) no mention of grandfathering in 'pioneer' accounts
2) we can charge up to our limit for free through May 1st
3) after May 1st, only those accounts *without* a history of charging more than $500 per month will be able to continue charging up to (but not more than) $500 per month fee free

So, if you plan on leaving Venmo, you can shove through money up to your limit through May 1st, then close your account and leave.

Has anyone found another alternative to Venmo?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
3) after May 1st, only those accounts *without* a history of charging more than $500 per month will be able to continue charging up to (but not more than) $500 per month fee free
That's not what the website says:

Please note that after May 1st, your allowance for free credit card transactions will change. If you have made less than $500 in credit card-funded transactions throughout the lifetime of your Venmo account, you will still be able to make free credit card transactions until you have reached the $500 threshold. If the volume of your transactions has exceeded $500 during the lifetime of your Venmo account, and you still choose to fund your transactions via credit card, you will be subject to a small processing fee.
I.e., you won't get $500/month CC for credit card expenditures.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Just paid my $2,000 max today for free. No problem. My account is older than March 16th, so I assume this will be the last. We'll see what happens next month.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mromero07
Just paid my $2,000 max today for free. No problem. My account is older than March 16th, so I assume this will be the last. We'll see what happens next month.
Did you just send $2000 today? Is it a single transaction?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Did you just send $2000 today? Is it a single transaction?
Not a single transaction, but two separate transactions of $1,000 each to different people, maybe within 15-20 min of each other.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mromero07
Not a single transaction, but two separate transactions of $1,000 each to different people, maybe within 15-20 min of each other.
I did $2k in one transaction last month and will do it again this month...i've been able to do about $5500 a month with this gig, sad to see it go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.