Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
The IRS requests a 1099 for anyone with 200 transactions and $20k, but it's up to Amazon if they give a 1099 for anyone under that.
I recently got an email from Amazon also about having to provide them with my SS# or not being able to sent/receive funds next year. I had orginally thought about the whole 1099 thing and maybe not worth the extra reported income leading to more taxes. But if the above limits are true then I guess I will send them the info and keep the account alive as it would be difficult for someone like me to go above the amounts posted in a given year (I assume the above is for a calender year and not a lifetime thing)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by freezone
I recently got an email from Amazon also about having to provide them with my SS# or not being able to sent/receive funds next year. I had orginally thought about the whole 1099 thing and maybe not worth the extra reported income leading to more taxes. But if the above limits are true then I guess I will send them the info and keep the account alive as it would be difficult for someone like me to go above the amounts posted in a given year (I assume the above is for a calender year and not a lifetime thing)
I also had to provide SSN for both mine and my husband's accounts. My dad was completing his $500 spent on Delta CC and sent each of us $250. He also had to add his SSN.

I am curious what this SSN thing is all about. I hope we won't get anything from Amazon to report to IRS.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if Amazon Payments will count toward Chase Freedom's 5x UR points quarterly bonus next quarter?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Does anyone know if Amazon Payments will count toward Chase Freedom's 5x UR points quarterly bonus next quarter?
+1 That would be amazing!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Some of you wondering about 1099k sound a bit aggressive. I can see $6000 running through ($500 x 12) for the year...
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
More like just under $3K a month * 12 = $35K !!!

JudyJFLA

Still looking for the next bigger thing!
I miss my coins!!!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Dec 20, 2011 at 11:56 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
The IRS requests a 1099 for anyone with 200 transactions and $20k, but it's up to Amazon if they give a 1099 for anyone under that.
Is it $20k in payments received or total of payments sent+received?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Is it $20k in payments received or total of payments sent+received?
Should be, received.

(Want a nightmare for tonight's slumber? 1099-Misc can be generated for any amount and should be generated/reported for any amount over $600 )
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:57 pm

I dont use Paypal or any other competitor to Amazon payments.
If anyone here does, it would be interesting to know how they handle this.
Is paypal ( or any others) now asking for SS# ??
or did they already require it??
This may help to understand what is going on at Amazon.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by bjdsave
I dont use Paypal or any other competitor to Amazon payments.
If anyone here does, it would be interesting to know how they handle this.
Is paypal ( or any others) now asking for SS# ??
or did they already require it??
This may help to understand what is going on at Amazon.
PayPal only asks for SSN after $20k in transactions.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by pcharles
Should be, received.

(Want a nightmare for tonight's slumber? 1099-Misc can be generated for any amount and should be generated/reported for any amount over $600 )
This was my thinking for why I have an ugly feeling that amazon is going to start issuing 1099's (much like Citibank sometimes does for their AA miles on checking accounts).

I dont really see any other valid reason other than for tax reporting purposes on why they would need SS numbers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by pcharles

...Want a nightmare for tonight's slumber? 1099-Misc can be generated for any amount and should be generated/reported for any amount over $600...
Can you give an official (IRS) reference for this claim? And what do you mean by "any amount" over $600? There is a requirement for rents, services, etc. but your statement seems a little broad. The IRS has specific instructions for the 1099-MISC and it should not be confused with the 1099-K.

I know of no such requirement.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:32 am

So what if they issue a 1099k? Sending money to your spouse is not taxable, and sending money to someone else isn't either unless it's a gift and over 11k/year.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by hellothere
So what if they issue a 1099k? Sending money to your spouse is not taxable, and sending money to someone else isn't either unless it's a gift and over 11k/year.
Can you say that it's a gift though? Paypal has a "Gift" radio button that you can select but Amazon Payments only has "Goods/Services" or "Cash" something. Nothing to denote that it's a gift... technically speaking.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Can you say that it's a gift though? Paypal has a "Gift" radio button that you can select but Amazon Payments only has "Goods/Services" or "Cash" something. Nothing to denote that it's a gift... technically speaking.
Well, it's not a gift. And it's not taxable. I send you $1000 on Amazon Payments, you give me $1000 cash. Maybe violates Amazon ToS but definitely not taxable. Sending money to your spouse as most people are doing definitely nothing to be concerned about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.