Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:31 pm

That's stupid. That they would catorgize it as a "Cash Advance" to work to their benefit.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
That's stupid. That they would catorgize it as a "Cash Advance" to work to their benefit.
What's so stupid about that? Cash advance is much cheaper to process for Amazon Payments and I see all the valid reasons for a for-profit entity to minimize its costs.

Or it's "stupid" that for-profit Amazon doesn't want to let you take advantage of it? Let me put this way - customers whose only goal is to meet their min credit card spend through sending money to relatives are a bit ... outside of Amazon Payment's target audience. Amazon have to live with having such customers in the mix. But if I were Amazon and there were valid ways to filer out such customers, I will immediately jump on this opportunity.

Many seem to forget that Amazon is a for-profit organization not a charity.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: All of em...
Is it now categorized as a cash advance??
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JimboFish
It's on the front page of lifehacker.com

http://lifehacker.com/5835072/use-am...g-requirements
Goodbye, Amazon Payments. We only had a few short months together, but it was great getting to know you.

Mike
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Is it now categorized as a cash advance??
It's categorized based on the option you choose when initiating a payment. No changes here.

CVG_Kid's question was what gets you banned if you're trying to do [you->relative/friend->you] loop and the answer was that in this case IF Amazon asks you to substantiate why both parts of the transaction were in fact sales of goods/services (note Amazon doesn't ask that automatically) AND you fail/decline to provide this substantiation, ONLY THEN Amazon can state you broke T&C of the service and could ban you.

Cash advance came into discussion only in a sense that you cannot provide explanation "I lended some money to a relative and then got repaid" for a transaction marked "Sale of good and services" because in that case you clearly misrepresented transaction to Amazon and thus violated T&C.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LongviewTX
Unless you're sending money to yourself the only reason I'm aware for which you could be banned is failing/refusing to substantiate transactions if asked to do so by Amazon Payments.

There's nothing wrong in A>B>A transaction as long as you have a clear and concise story what A>B part was for and what B>A part was for (remember you have to substantiate "Sale of goods and services" you cannot just say you loaned the money and then got repaid as it would be "Cash advance")
Does the story really matter. Or do they just shut you down, when they see a pattern?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
I've been doing A>B>C>A among, mine, my sister's and my gf's accounts. $1000 every month for the past 8 months. I make up a reason for the transaction every time. Still alive and going. Have stopped using on Amex though.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
If by "they" you mean AP, why is it stupid?

AP is in business to make money for themselves, not to give anyone a way to earn miles/points/cash back. You'd expect AP to do what's in their own best interest.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:58 am

What's so stupid about that? Cash advance is much cheaper to process for Amazon Payments and I see all the valid reasons for a for-profit entity to minimize its costs.

Or it's "stupid" that for-profit Amazon doesn't want to let you take advantage of it? Let me put this way - customers whose only goal is to meet their min credit card spend through sending money to relatives are a bit ... outside of Amazon Payment's target audience. Amazon have to live with having such customers in the mix. But if I were Amazon and there were valid ways to filer out such customers, I will immediately jump on this opportunity.

Many seem to forget that Amazon is a for-profit organization not a charity.
^^^ --- Saw after I posted and much better put. :-::-::-:
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
I've been doing A>B>C>A among, mine, my sister's and my gf's accounts. $1000 every month for the past 8 months. I make up a reason for the transaction every time. Still alive and going. Have stopped using on Amex though.
Any particular reason?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Does the story really matter. Or do they just shut you down, when they see a pattern?
I cannot speak for every occasion, but from what I read they shut you down if you try to send money to yourself (including using slightly modified names, aliases, different addresses etc.). Which is very logical - I cannot think of a legitimate cover up for buying something from yourself or providing yourself services - why even bother to ask to substantiate in these cases?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Story does not matter.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:35 pm

...I cannot think of a legitimate cover up for ...providing yourself services...
I can think of at least two.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: All of em...
It's categorized based on the option you choose when initiating a payment. No changes here.

CVG_Kid's question was what gets you banned if you're trying to do [you->relative/friend->you] loop and the answer was that in this case IF Amazon asks you to substantiate why both parts of the transaction were in fact sales of goods/services (note Amazon doesn't ask that automatically) AND you fail/decline to provide this substantiation, ONLY THEN Amazon can state you broke T&C of the service and could ban you.

Cash advance came into discussion only in a sense that you cannot provide explanation "I lended some money to a relative and then got repaid" for a transaction marked "Sale of good and services" because in that case you clearly misrepresented transaction to Amazon and thus violated T&C.
Gotchaaa. Sending money back and forth on programs like this seems like an extremely dumb and poorly executed attempt to earn miles. C'mon people...gotta be smart.

Originally Posted by booyaa
Nice work
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: US, AA
This still works? Looking at the T&C:

2.2.1 Personal Accounts. If you have an Amazon Account, we will automatically set up a Personal Account linked to your Amazon Account. Your Personal Account permits you to access the information in your Amazon Account to make purchases wherever Amazon Payments is accepted. Personal Accounts also are eligible to (a) hold balances, (b) make or send payments not only from credit cards but bank accounts or any available balance, and (c) receive payments from other users. <u>Personal Accounts may not receive credit card payments.</u>

2.2.2 Business Accounts. Business Accounts are only for commercial and business use. A Business Account has the same features of a Personal Account but also is eligible to receive credit card payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.