Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Never said 5 days.

Nope.

When's the last time you tried? Last I checked, it didn't work.

Of course I don't, but do you own the rights to blast it all over the place? And not to make this personal, but aren't you the one trying to get people to PAY to come the the DO to learn more information about it? I'd say that shows more of a sense of entitlement/ownership than anything else. Shame on you.

Not the last time I checked.

Flawless logic...

Let's not turn this into a personal battle. The fact of the matter is I have a report that it did not work on last attempt.

From another thread, regarding FT members as a whole:

Agree...this is a group of people that meticulously read the rules and details of programs to find loopholes or lucrative bonuses, not cheat, lie, and steal. Not to say that it doesn't happen.

Hello, JD, just curious and confused on where you stand. On one hand you *seem* to be involved, and approve of this Costco "buy and return high priced items scam", and on the other hand, you *seem* to hold the line with miles earnings at "not cheat, lie, and steal".

I have no intention of starting a fight or debating this with you, just curious on where you stand since your 2 posts noted above *seem* to be at opposite extremes of thought.

If I am missing the sarcasm in your posts, or missing the actual points you were making, then please advise.

Thanks very much.

JB
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Jack Burton
From another thread, regarding FT members as a whole:

Hello, JD, just curious and confused on where you stand. On one hand you *seem* to be involved, and approve of this Costco "buy and return high priced items scam", and on the other hand, you *seem* to hold the line with miles earnings at "not cheat, lie, and steal".

I have no intention of starting a fight or debating this with you, just curious on where you stand since your 2 posts noted above *seem* to be at opposite extremes of thought.

If I am missing the sarcasm in your posts, or missing the actual points you were making, then please advise.

Thanks very much.

JB
No worries. IMO, this isn't a "scam" and there's no need to lie, cheat, or steal to have taken advantage of this loophole within a set of policies. A loophole that has since been closed, ime. They allow you to purchase via a certain method and return via another. In the other thread, the OP was considering outright lying to the airline AND violating their T&Cs.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, I suggest we take it off this thread so as to stay on topic. Feel free to PM me.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
No worries. IMO, this isn't a "scam" and there's no need to lie, cheat, or steal to have taken advantage of this loophole within a set of policies. A loophole that has since been closed, ime. They allow you to purchase via a certain method and return via another. In the other thread, the OP was considering outright lying to the airline AND violating their T&Cs.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, I suggest we take it off this thread so as to stay on topic. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the reply, and no need to continue OT. I happen to disagree with the thoughts behind the Costco "deal", and won't be getting involved, but to each their own.

I only jumped on this thread because the blatant waste of perfectly good food really got me going.

Have a good day!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:06 am

What's the difference between blasting a deal and joining in on the conversation? Seems to me MP is not the person who started any of the threads on returning items. So unless you count the people who read about it on his twitter.. you posting in here "blasts" a deal just as much as the other person.

It seems that you are upset because you've actually taken things back to Costco and don't want people to talk about it even though you state it no longer works. To me, if you know for a FACT (some people seem to think that their beliefs are) that Costco is losing out on money every time you return things.. would this not be stealing?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Costco quirk

Everyone knows that costco only accepts Amex in its stores. They do however accept any card when shopping on line..
So I made an online purchase a few weeks, and decided to return it a local store over the weekend. Apparently I had paid with a visa online, and since they don't process anything but Amex in stores, they had to give me cash back.
Thought this was kind of interesting, and figured I'd share..
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:46 am

Brb, ordering $10,000 diamond necklace with VISA
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
There was a biug in their system before when folks had got very expensive items with Visa/MC and returned to the store to get cash/cashier's check. I had thought that they resolved the issue (i remember some FT threads from before) and would refund back to the card that the purchase was made.

How much was the amount of your purchase? May be for smaller amounts they stil give cash back.

Originally Posted by d20513
Everyone knows that costco only accepts Amex in its stores. They do however accept any card when shopping on line..
So I made an online purchase a few weeks, and decided to return it a local store over the weekend. Apparently I had paid with a visa online, and since they don't process anything but Amex in stores, they had to give me cash back.
Thought this was kind of interesting, and figured I'd share..
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by rambo
There was a biug in their system before when folks had got very expensive items with Visa/MC and returned to the store to get cash/cashier's check. I had thought that they resolved the issue (i remember some FT threads from before) and would refund back to the card that the purchase was made.

How much was the amount of your purchase? May be for smaller amounts they stil give cash back.

I received EIGHT (crisp) one hundred dollar bills, a few twentys, and some change. ^
I'll add that this was totally on accident..
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Several dozen
And the stampede to COSTCO online begins....

Originally Posted by d20513
I received EIGHT (crisp) one hundred dollar bills, a few twentys, and some change. ^
I'll add that this was totally on accident..
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:52 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
It's all fun and games until someone get's stuck with a 8 carat ring they "thought" they could return...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
And the stampede to COSTCO online begins....
I'll sit this one out. Should be FUN from the sidelines!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:33 am

I'll sit this one out too, but good to know in the case of a legitimate return.

Originally Posted by Bender464
I'll sit this one out. Should be FUN from the sidelines!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Didn't MarathonMan do this and Costco told him not do to it again? This is one scheme where I definitely won't participate.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by vtqanh
Didn't MarathonMan do this and Costco told him not do to it again? This is one scheme where I definitely won't participate.
I didn't look up the FT thread where MM tells the story,
but IIRC he was more like "banned for life" !

Maybe twice in 10 years I returned some small item to the store
that was bought online non-amex, and yes,
they gave either cash or a cash card.
Not too useful as a "scheme", but convenient.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:32 am

This has always been in place. I believe there's an upper level cap on what they will return to you in cash. I do not know what it is though, but don't expect to get $10k in cash back. Also, Costco tracks EVERYTHING, so don't try to push it with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.