Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Section 107
This is entertaining reading so I will add my $.02:

the US, and many other countries, have extensive and extremely sophisticated underwater listening networks in ALL the worlds' waters (in addition to billion $ submarines) that can distinguish a seahorse's fart from an octopus' burp. If that plane hit, or even landed in, the ocean, it was heard.

I havent heard anything mentioned about such data - has anyone else heard of it and I missed it?
SOSUS was (and maybe still is) concentrated at various choke points of the ocean. I don't believe the USN ever had the entire ocean "wired" for sound.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
SOSUS was (and maybe still is) concentrated at various choke points of the ocean. I don't believe the USN ever had the entire ocean "wired" for sound.
Actually that is true. If you understand Wave Physics and Wave Acoustics and Autec, which is a military research base for underwater activities, you fully understand that a plane crash in the ocean would produce an acoustic signature.

So that is another reason the government is NOT telling the truth. A plane does not go missing from underwater to in the sky or on land. From satellite (post project Corona) with advantage imaging for land based situations or with technologies to monitor the water, and so on and so forth, this whole story is being covered up from the getgo and all the information via the internet channels or mass media are not forthcoming.

Today we all take for granted satellite imagery for free which is poor grade declassified technologies and yet digitalglobe which is a commercial satellite imagery firm, was having people search for the plane using its own data. Governments purposely limit the nature of the time on these satellites as well as image resolution.

Something is horribly amiss here.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
Isnt jet A fuel tightly regulated? How would a group of terrorists or the hijacker get their hands on enough to refuel without raising any suspicion?
Assume the plane took the northern route and landed at an improvised runway in a country that ends in "stan." OBL and his friends are known for having long term plans and taking years to accomplish a single task. And the B!n L*d!n family business is heavy construction. A few bulldozers at night could make an airstrip on some hard ground.

US and NATO forces have been paying private contractors for 10 years to deliver fuel by truck (at up to $400 per gallon delivered so I have read--your tax dollars at work) into Afghanistan and some of this is turbine fuel for helicopters. If the locals steal 20 gallons a day for a few years they have enough to refuel a jumbo jet and no one will miss it. Many fuel trucks have been burned in attacks, and no one knows if that burning truck had 1000 instead of 5000 gallons in it when the RPG hit it.

I am sure much turbine fuel is "diverted" all the time as kerosene is used for cooking and heating fuel in rural areas worldwide. Jet fuel is just high grade kerosene with additives to not freeze at FL400. Works great in a cook stove.

What I know for sure about this plane: It is missing, and it did not have enough fuel to reach Howland Island.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:45 pm

There were a fair few planes around, not least SQ68 that it was thought MH470 may have shadowed. Here's just. Before disappearance. Cancel playback and set new playback time to circa 1800 UTC to see the SQ68 departing presumably not too far from MH370 as we are led to believe.

http://fr24.com/2014-03-07/17:21/12x/MAS370/2d81a27
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Why isn't China doing more to assist with the search? More than half the missing passengers are Chinese nationals. China supposedly has a large navy now, but I guess they are incompetent or incapable of mobilizing on short notice. I don't understand why USA, Australia and NZ are expected to provide the bulk of resources for the search effort. Maybe China can reimburse us from the billions that it receives in forex every year. Seems like Malaysia can also pay up since they are requesting even more aid from the USA for the search.

Honestly this is not our problem. Yes, I am sympathetic to the passengers' families, but I find it hard to justify spending millions of tax $$$ taken from working people here to search the ocean for a missing airplane that has zero links to the USA (excepting 3 passengers). This is not a humanitarian mission like saving millions of refugees from the scourge of war, natural disaster etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...f19_story.html
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Honestly this is not our problem. Yes, I am sympathetic to the passengers' families, but I find it hard to justify spending millions of tax $$$ taken from working people here to search the ocean for a missing airplane that has zero links to the USA (excepting 3 passengers).
The missing plane is a Boeing. There's your connection.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why isn't China doing more to assist with the search? More than half the missing passengers are Chinese nationals. China supposedly has a large navy now, but I guess they are incompetent or incapable of mobilizing on short notice. I don't understand why USA, Australia and NZ are expected to provide the bulk of resources for the search effort. Maybe China can reimburse us from the billions that it receives in forex every year. Seems like Malaysia can also pay up since they are requesting even more aid from the USA for the search.

Honestly this is not our problem. Yes, I am sympathetic to the passengers' families, but I find it hard to justify spending millions of tax $$$ taken from working people here to search the ocean for a missing airplane that has zero links to the USA (excepting 3 passengers). This is not a humanitarian mission like saving millions of refugees from the scourge of war, natural disaster etc.
1. This could very well become our problem if there is a rouge 777 out there. 'Have you forgotten??' Even if not our problem directly, it will be used against one of our allies, and thus become OUR problem indirectly. Why do you think OZ is taking over the search of south Indian Ocean?

2. Yes, there is a cost. But it's not as much as you think. The SAR operations just displace other 'regularly scheduled' activities that our Navy was going to undertake. It's not all incremental. You can either spend your time training for a SAR mission, or you can actually perform a SAR mission -- either way, you pay the troops, and you burn fuel.

It's similar to how the public sees Air Force flyovers of sporting events as 'wasted taxpayer dollars' when the reality is that those fighter pilots were going to go booming somewhere that day one way or the other.... it's just a matter of whether you get the pleasure of watching them!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...f19_story.html
Er, not sure what you're going on about. China has military ships, and aircraft searching Chinese terrain and, at least a week age, had dedicated satellite resources. What more would you suggest?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:32 pm

1. NO it wasnt a terrorist attack so stop thinking about it. theres no one claiming they usually do, no reported terrorists linked to the passengers list. and if so someone would of sent some kind of communication, phone/text or otherwise.

2. NO it wasnt a suicide. theres too many ppl onboard that could of stopped him, and from his friends this is something he wouldnt do.

with that in mind it only leaves an accident. not a large accident or debris of been found straight away. nor was it a long known accident or someone would of communicated much like the terrorist idea.
any other alarmed problem would of been reported as im fairly certain its standard protocol to radio in major faults.

This only leaves a progressive accident that went undetected by any alarm on the plane until it was TOO late. (slow decompression on a "red eye" shift)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by brett1982
2. NO it wasnt a suicide. theres too many ppl onboard that could of stopped him, and from his friends this is something he wouldnt do.
A better argument against suicide is that no one spends 7-8 hours committing suicide, and this is far too complex a way to do it. You'd just fly the plane into the ground or the water and be done with it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1
A better argument against suicide is that no one spends 7-8 hours committing suicide, and this is far too complex a way to do it. You'd just fly the plane into the ground or the water and be done with it.
correct
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by adamj023
The airplane likely crash landed in the ocean or on terrain or was parted and individuals will piece out the airplane.

Anyone remember the crashed Stealth bomber over China? It was while Colin Powell was General. China attempted to reverse engineer the craft. Iran's airline has all outdated parts and planes and this 777 could improve their engineering capabilities.
I think you're referring to the F-117 stealth fighter that was shot down in Kosovo. No B-2 stealth bomber has crashed, in China or elsewhere. Nor is there any evidence that China (or anyone else) reverse engineered a F-117 to produce their own version.

China Southern which is the system these tickets were bought under is actually expanding JFK to Guangzou direct flights and Biman Bangladesh is also instituting flights direct to JFK amongst other routes. Both firms are modernizing their fleets and have Boeing 777's.
So you're suggesting that China Southern captured this aircraft in order to reverse engineer...their own 777? ...modernized parts for their 777? That doesn't make any sense, financially or otherwise.

I note the Captains girlfriend looked to be a captain for AirAsia a competitor. Both airlines fly the Malaysian to China route that this flight was on. Why wasn't Air Asia's ATC recordings released? As I said, we haven't heard from any pilots in the sky or eyewitnesses who would surely have been able to see if this jet truly made weird turns or even cameras in the area or classified data. The coverup of evidence here is absolutely horrible.
- Air Asia doesn't have "ATC recordings" - only ATC facilities have recordings of the communications on their respective frequencies (aside from CVRs).

- I thought the Captain was married and I hadn't heard that he had a girlfriend who was a pilot for another airline. But if that is all correct, why would that indicate a plot by Air Asia to do something nefarious with this aircraft?

- How on earth would other pilots be visually locating, or routinely photographing, other aircraft as they fly at 30,000ft+ with miles of separation between them?

- "cameras in the area"? Where? There aren't traffic cameras or red light cameras in the sky.

Last edited by 84fiero; Mar 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:45 pm

i still think the auto pilot took them out to sea, when they are all already dead via lack of oxygen. they were flying at night, they felt tired they thought it was natural.

ppl are saying about a mayday call. but that greece flight didnt make a mayday call. well it did but it was on the wrong frequency so no one heard it. it is possible that after he said goodnight he changed the frequecy then turned around in the confusion of oxygen deprivation and forgot to turn it back. actually made a mayday call that no one heard. but collapsed.??? leaving the auto pilot to continue the flight.

he may of actually done anything during his confusion, miss typed something into the computer either way a route was being taken by the auto pilot. so this route will be known.

match up the way points find its path follow it and you will find it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Originally Posted by brett1982
This only leaves a progressive accident that went undetected by any alarm on the plane until it was TOO late. (slow decompression on a "red eye" shift)
Have to agree, most likely we're looking at a situation like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522 tragedy. Very sad, and lets hope they locate the wreckage and get some closure to this terrible incident.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:49 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

i think it has simularities with this crash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.