Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by MANman
At todays Press conference Malaysia Airlines CEO said the cargo on the Boeing 777-200 ER plane was checked and scanned according to standard procedures. “We examined the cargo manifest, it contains no hazardous goods,”
http://m.themalaymailonline.com/mala....WvP8oMM7.dpuf

This is an interesting non-answer because the idea of explosion or fire - which could have been caused by hazardous cargo - has been already discounted.

The question still remains: was there anything in the cargo that might have caused someone to want to steal it or destroy it?
Originally Posted by DeanB
How far in advance are cargos typically booked onto flights? Would be difficult to plan something meticulously like this at the last minute, or if booked far ahead, could you be certain that the "right" pilot was rostered for it?
Remember, MH already lost a A330 due to a false declaration of cargo <link> (bolding mine):

After arrival from a flight from Beijing, baggage handlers were unloading 80 canisters weighing 2,000kg when they were hit by the strong toxic fumes. Five ground handlers became ill while unloading the canisters.
A check by airport fire and rescue personnel revealed the canisters contained a chemical called oxalyl chloride. Several canisters had leaked, causing severe damage to the aircraft fuselage. The aircraft was considered damaged beyond repair.
After a fice-year lawsuit a Beijing court ordered Dalian, a Chinese state-run company, to pay USD65 million in compensation, plus interest, for destroying the Airbus A330 with falsely declared cargo with corrosive chemicals. The company had mis-identified the canisters as being a safe powder-type chemical.
It is impossible for any airline to open every single peace of cargo and cross-check the content with the attached papers.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by DeanB
How far in advance are cargos typically booked onto flights? Would be difficult to plan something meticulously like this at the last minute, or if booked far ahead, could you be certain that the "right" pilot was rostered for it?
It depends what the customer is willing to pay.

If you pay a prime rate your shippment goes either on the next connection OR a specific flight chosen by the customer.

If you go just "normal" your freight sits in a hold at an airport's hanger waiting for space available. It's like stand-by.

BUT when your shippment is worth over 44,000,000 USD you don't play Cheap Charly.

Last edited by Fan2502; Mar 16, 2014 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by beowl
I
What I ultimately mean is, if it is really that easy to fly undetected around that part of the world, then I would expect something like weekly hijackings and terrorist attacks from the sky. And yet it does not happen, which leads me to assumption military ATCs in those countries are more responsive and prepared than they appear in these media reports.
Two weeks ago, would most frequent flyers have thought that radar coverage/military awareness was so ineffective in this region?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lupine
Two weeks ago, would most frequent flyers have thought that radar coverage/military awareness was so ineffective in this region?
That's exactly my point - I am not convinced they are really so ineffective. Because such ineffectiveness would make an open invitation to all terrorists of this world to come and take advantage of it. I can think of a handful of countries that would allow something like that but Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and India certainly do not belong there.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
What gives this tangent legs is that you don't just block 50 seats out of a 777 at random. Did MAS see that bookings were light for that flight and at some point block seats so that a specific cargo shipment could go that night? Or was it a regular shipment?

MANman, you deserve kudos for relentlessly not dropping this take on the story. Let's nail down all of the basics, including what was on the plane that night, and how did it get there.
You are assuming passenger load was restricted, and that the purpose of restriction was to carry freight. Neither of these assumptions has been confirmed.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't agree, -- that's international protocol talking. We should ignore that and just get the most capable people in charge.
Who is "we"? The various international agencies and gov'ts need to follow international protocol, at least publicly. The NTSB and FAA are already involved. How exactly are the "most capable people" supposed to act outside of protocol?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by squiddy
Not to mention, the various SIGINT SATs up there. I have to think that more accurate positional fixes exist ...
I agree.

If the authorities (US, Malaysian, Chinese or whoever) knew for sure that the plane is now in Afghanistan or somewhere, would they tell the media immediately?

Or would they first go and find it?

@:-)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Slate is asserting that the pilot's political leanings are being sensationalized.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...terrorist.html

He seems like a dedicated pilot, family and community ties (suggestions that he had recently separated from his wife but also denials of same), with three daughters and what appears to be an enviable lifestyle - I don't know anything about psychological profiles in cases like this but by all accounts he is/was dedicated to his career. Does that seem like someone who would risk the lives of the souls entrusted to him after a decades-long career?

Last edited by ejong; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm Reason: Typo correction
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Originally Posted by ejong
Slate is asserting that the pilot's political leanings are being sensationalized.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...terrorist.html
I live in Malaysia and the article is pretty accurate. The opposition party that the Captain supported won more than 50% of the popular vote in the last election in May 2013 even though the party lost the election due to gerrymandering. It's actually pretty common to find someone with his level of dedication to that opposition party.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by farulg
I live in Malaysia and the article is pretty accurate. The opposition party that the Captain supported won more than 50% of the popular vote in the last election in May 2013 even though the party lost the election due to gerrymandering. It's actually pretty common to find someone with his level of dedication to that opposition party.
I know a dude who used to fly for Air Zimbabwe and was staunchly against the Zimbabwean leader Mugabe and his party the ZANU PF. But he never let his views seep into his work life, he had so much respect for his work and the fact he was flying the country's flag.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:41 pm

As mentioned upthread, the Malaysian Government PM has stated in no uncertain terms that he believes that MH370 was "diverted deliberately". Assuming that the PM is telling the truth, the following questions arise:

Did the "diverter" intend to land the aircraft?

If yes, what did the "diverter" intend to do with the pax? Even if such a person were so evil as to want to kill all of them, it is not that easy to do without any firearms.

Furthermore, did the "diverter" have contact with a landing facility beforehand? Is there any NSA-type surveillance of said communications?

If no (ie: a suicide mission), why fly the jet for several hours instead of just ditching immediately after the diversion?

In case there are any objections to the suppositions above, the following link quotes the Malaysian PM: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4969855.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm Reason: Removed meta suggestion to the moderators. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

This Tomnod image is being bandied about on PPRuNe.

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...014/map/637975
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:00 am

The more information comes to light, the more it seems to indicate that the person who took the plane off course had a careful plan and was headed on a pre-planned trajectory or to a pre-planned destination. He followed the waypoints and apparently flew low to avoid radar, suggesting this was thought out in advance. His intent was clearly not to commit suicide, at least right away, or he wouldn't have engaged in all the complicated maneuvers to keep the plane going. So the conclusion would seem to be that he was aiming for somewhere, either to commit a terrorist attack or to land the plane somewhere for reasons which are not yet clear. He did not commit a terrorist attack, for whatever reason. So it seems clear to me that the remaining choices are: something went wrong and he was prevented from committing a terrorist attack or from landing the plane; or he did in fact land the plane. If something went wrong, either he did not foresee all eventualities and the plane went down, or there was resistance inside the plane, and his plan was foiled.

If he intended to and succeeded in landing the plane, why no passengers have managed to make contact with the outside world, and no landings have been reported, is an open question. It seems unlikely that this would be the case, but in fact all the possibilities right now are unlikely. The question is which one of the unlikely possibilities is the truth.

If this is too speculative, the mods may want to remove it. As I see it, it's not so much speculation as common sense. There really are a limited number of possibilities left.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by squiddy
Would like to see the source - a drilling rig? Sunken ship? Dunno, but the presence of what appears to be a small boat cutting across one of the streams kind of suggests it's a known source (545179.).

Any way to determine long/lat of these maps? I'd like to compare it to Google Earth imagery, see if it's a known source, or if it's "new."
Yeah....I figured it wasn't anything for real, and I did see that other boat, but was just sort of excited to see anything.

I don't know if you can tell where the tomnod segments come from in the overall scheme of things.

Now....in that segment in the tomnod link that DocSavage just posted....is that for real? though..maybe that's a plane in the air. So intact.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This Tomnod image is being bandied about on PPRuNe.

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...014/map/637975
The square with the outline of a plane seemingly headed north-east shows an all-white plane against a grey background. Other squares seem much more like satellite imagery of a night sky.

Has this particular image been manipulated by the folks at Tomnod?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.