Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

It would be beyond both my and my computer's abilities but with the right capabilities it would theoretically be pretty simple to reverse model the track of the debris.
http://www.esr.org/oscar_index.html]OSCAR Data has an archive of current data and the fields of pelagic larval dispersal and possibly the tracing of source areas of ocean pollutants would be well developed. So hopefully this could get something going!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jk88usa
... And, while satellite data did suggest the Indian Ocean now everybody is going to question just how accurate it was on where it went down...
Regardless of how this plays out, the ocean currents would clearly have tended to carried debris (assuming it floats) from the presumed crash site towards the general area of Madascar. Could not have done so from the northern arc.

But then again, those who believe Apollo 11 was a fake will believe anything :-)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:17 pm

Well that looks promising.

I go to the same uni that the guy who made this program teaches at, would it be worth seeing him and asking how more specific reverse modelling would work?

Last edited by Nrg800; Jul 29, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 pm

I think this proves everything. There has been a search east of Australia because of a Satellite/GPS signal (eventhough it was far away from the planned route). Furthermore there has been a research from an University here they noticed with their sonar mashines some big noices in this area.

So if the MH went in this area down than it's logical that it appeared on the african side due to the current.

Everythings fits so perfect and makes sense. I'm positive that this is an MH wing and I hope that this might lead to some further investigations (maybe there might be some insights from this wing itself - ie if it was an explosion/fire/landing) and eventually finding the blackbox.

Here is a picture of the searched area and the current flow.

http://bilder.bild.de/fotos-skaliert...9,c=0.bild.gif
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nrg800
I go to the same uni that the guy who made this program teaches at, would it be worth seeing him and asking how more specific reverse modelling would work?
I'd say give it a shot just because that looks like a pretty darn cool/advanced program. I didn't realize it could be done.

The only question I have now is just when this debris washed ashore...because it looked "pretty far inland" (a few meters) which means it might have been there awhile until they cleaned up the shore this morning
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Will a part such as that really hold the air for year or so?

I realize it would not have to trap much air to maintain buyancy, but the trapped air will be under positive pressure forcing it out. So any non airtight seal that was above water (at any time) would leek.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA, A3, AF
UU got their 777 based in RUN, AF flies 777 to RUN, I believe some people already know if this wreckage is from a 777 or not...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:53 am

They've now found what they are calling a 'badly-damaged' suitcase in the same area.

Photos & article: http://www.linfo.re/la-reunion/socie...-avion#photo-3
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

Turns out the early reporting about a BB670 appears it might be wrong. Here is a story which includes a picture of the inside of the debris and it clearly is 657 BB.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by snufkin
UU got their 777 based in RUN, AF flies 777 to RUN, I believe some people already know if this wreckage is from a 777 or not...
Yes, and since there has been no communication that it's clearly not from MH370 we can safely conclude that this flaperon is indeed from MH370(or at the very least cannot be ruled out)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A similar drift map from a year ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLJO8L1UMAAHGK0.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er_DailyMailAU
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
So it obviously crashed to the west of the search zone if the drift map is accurate.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
So it obviously crashed to the west of the search zone if the drift map is accurate.
No, the drift map predicts that debris from the assumed crash zone off Australia's west coast might well arrive at Reunion by now.

Blue is very soon after the crash, red is 18-24 months after the crash.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The drift maps that originate at the presumed crash site seem to be consistent with debris now reaching Reunion, but I wonder what similar maps would look like for starting points at (say) 500 mile intervals along the arc defined by the last Inmarsat pings, and at other points.

If I'm reading it correctly that map also suggests that some debris would have been found in the Australian Bight or Tasmania by now, and might soon reach NZ. Since none has would a different starting point reduce the probability of material reaching into the Bight and hence be more consistent with what has transpired? [EDIT: I see that the 'rubber duck' image above is more consistent with that idea - does it have a different starting site?]

As the drift area covers about 30% of the section of the Indian Ocean shown on the map (from visual approximation) it would suggest that lots of candidate crash sites would still exist and only slightly change the outcome .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended

I suspect that very little debris will ever be found washed up anywhere, so the location of this piece really doesn't narrow down the crash site much.

The fact that nothing was found in south Australia or Tasmania really means nothing. The lack of evidence is not evidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.