Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Many of the theories get too complicated for me in terms of anyone managing to plan it and then successfully pull it off. The Laws of Murphy would surely step in at some point .

I'm sure some national powers know more than they feel able to tell in public, but may be able to soon (when they find a way to 'leak' it in a non-attributable way) or maybe never will (if they were involved in something like the unintentional destruction of the aircraft) .

I don't know enough about flying to understand what would lead to the reported altitude climb (why do that?) and course alterations being a sensible course of action, but keep getting drawn back to a ZU522 scenario of flight crew making irrational decisions following an equipment malfunction / failure, followed by deeper incapacitation. Loss of part of hull causing comms failure and decompression maybe?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
I haven't read the other thread in this forum except the one on OMNI.

Just an idea, what about this scenario:

1. Theplane ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea close to Diego Garcia,

OR

2. The plane was forced to land on Diego, a highly restricted area.

Heck you can't even approach the other islands in a yacht, in particular Boddam island, of the Solomon group of islands in the archipelago w/o getting a visit from "you know who"

OR

3. The plane headed towards the US base, was given multiple warnings by the American forces, did not respond or change course (remember its communications systems were switched off) and was inevitably shot down
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:43 pm

I'm no pilot but is Keith Ledgerwood's theory possible? could you follow a plane without it knowing... I guess they don't have their own radar, or wing mirrors? So thatmakes me think did anyone on the ground notice two planes very close together? I often look up at vapour trails, and try to work out whether it's two or 4 engines! I'm no spotter so can't work out much else! So I wonder if anyone in those countries saw something unusual?
I now understand the oil rig guy must have coincidentally seen a meteor. sounded very convincing to me so i believe he saw what he says he saw, just curve of earth too much at 400 miles distant.

Last edited by cassiewoofer; Mar 17, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sebz4n
I do find it kind of scary that 200 people and a plane can just disappear like this in the 21st century! I don't know if I believe that it went underwater and crashed, it all seems a bit fishy. I mean, something must have triggered an alarm if the plane was getting out of control.
What's even more scary are the extreme theories on what has happened - some of which would require the resources of a small nation to implement
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmrisko
If they were unsold, why would there be a need to put some passengers on standby?
People are put on standby for all kinds of reasons, it doesn't have to have anything to do with how many seats are unsold.

But more to the point, MH has said there was no standby passengers on this flight - all passengers purchased tickets for this flight either through MH or CZ. There were 4 "no shows": ticketed passengers that did not check in for one reason or another. And some people took liberty to interpret that means 4 people got on the flight as standby.

Can we drop this whole line of conspiracy theory now? The flight was not weight restricted.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Chang11
If there was an ocean crash, surely someone would have stumbled/found identifiable wreckage by now.
The southern seas are BIG and, compared with their northern brethren, rarely traversed.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by alanR
The southern seas are BIG and, compared with their northern brethren, rarely traversed.
Rarely traversed by air, or by sea, or both? Would a quiet ocean make it easier to detect the black box transponder, or are they designed to ping at a frequency that is distinctive against other background noise anyway?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I am not sure if this has been covered yet ( a quick search showed nothing), but FBI investigators were expressing their frustration with Malaysia's refusal for large scale help with the investigation. The insinuation is that Malaysia did not want to appear as if they don't control the situation.
The story has been covered in both European and US press.

Here is a link to one of the articles:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/wo...sive-help.html
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:16 pm

CNN asks whether maybe God stole Flight 370

Submitted without comment!

CNN anchor Don Lemon and Decoded host Brad Meltzer bandied about the idea Sunday afternoon that something “beyond our understanding” happened to Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370, that “something” being perhaps supernatural maybe?

“Especially today, on a day when we deal with the supernatural,” Lemon said. “We go to church, the supernatural power of God…people are saying to me, why aren’t you talking about the possibility — and I’m just putting it out there — that something odd happened to this plane, something beyond our understanding?”
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
This is an interesting theory that completely disregards the hijacking angle - as stated in the post "from a pilot's perspective"

https://plus.google.com/106271056358...ts/GoeVjHJaGBz

The theory is the left turn was a deliberate act but as a diversion to Pulau Langkawi which was the closest and easiest approach for the 777 (not back to KL). The author states that the pilots lost all communications because of fire, and never made it to the airport despite turning back (similar to Swiss Air crash near Halifax in 1998) - he notes it was a warm evening with a heavy plane, and a tire fire or electrical fire could have been the culprit. As to how it kept flying, the author notes:

What I think happened is that they were overcome by smoke and the plane just continued on the heading probably on George (autopilot) until either fuel exhaustion or fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. I said four days ago you will find it along that route - looking elsewhere was pointless
It's not a theory that fits nicely into a CNN "Breaking News" update, but I think it could be very plausible.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by malgudi
Submitted without comment!

Despite years and years of incompetence and sensationalism, CNN never loses the ability to make your jaw drop
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
This is an interesting theory that completely disregards the hijacking angle - as stated in the post "from a pilot's perspective"

https://plus.google.com/106271056358...ts/GoeVjHJaGBz

The theory is the left turn was a deliberate act but as a diversion to Pulau Langkawi which was the closest and easiest approach for the 777 (not back to KL). The author states that the pilots lost all communications because of fire, and never made it to the airport despite turning back (similar to Swiss Air crash near Halifax in 1998) - he notes it was a warm evening with a heavy plane, and a tire fire or electrical fire could have been the culprit. As to how it kept flying, the author notes:

It's not a theory that fits nicely into a CNN "Breaking News" update, but I think it could be very plausible.
I thought they searched that area to death and still nothing in two weeks? Not even a handbag.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
But more to the point, MH has said there was no standby passengers on this flight - all passengers purchased tickets for this flight either through MH or CZ. There were 4 "no shows": ticketed passengers that did not check in for one reason or another. And some people took liberty to interpret that means 4 people got on the flight as standby.
Incorrect. That there were standby pax on MH370 was confirmed by Malaysia Airlines itself. This was posted days ago in the original thread:

Source: Four passengers not onboard MH370 replaced by standby passengers

Following a barrage of questions on the matter, MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said of the 227 passengers, four who had bought tickets did not turn up to catch the flight to Beijing at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

Their places were taken by four people, who were standby passengers, he explained.
What better source than the MAS CEO?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by giblet
Cargo apparently was 3-4 tons of mangosteens. Hard to see why they would block off 50 seats for that, surely the seats would be worth more?

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/malaysi...ys-airline-ceo
Just to make you aware that there are companies who buy cargo space on airliners (imagine like a wholesaler) and then they sell it on to other companies requiring cargo space. This means that the wholesaler may indeed have already agreed a price with the airline for that cargo space and so it doesn't actually have any negative impact on the airline whether the cargo space is sold for mangosteens or for indeed gold bullion! They've effectively already been paid. The wholesaler is then the one who either profits or loses from the transaction. We do not know if the 50 seats was a regular occurrence on this particular route or not.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by alanstarr
It was in the "World Exclusive" by New Straits Times, a Malaysian English daily. Had a huge front page headline about it.

It is worth noting that NST is wholly owned by UMNO, the party that had led the Malaysian government for 57 years. It is therefore to some extent the English language mouthpiece of the government and it is heavily edited/censored to suit the ruling party's agenda.

Having said that, if they really did get sources from inside Malaysian military, the 5000 feet figure might be true.
It wasn't only the New Straits Times that reported the possible terrain-masking flying. Sydney Morning Herald reported it too -- without referencing the report in the NST, which I would hope & expect if they were just repeating the news. Sydney Morning Herald credits the info to "investigators."
http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-...#ixzz2wB0VKdaz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.