Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Charged for excess check-in bags despite OW SL status - claim from BA or MH?

Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi gang - seeking your collective counsel on a recent flight I took with BA and MH:

The facts:
1. A paid 1-way ticket EDI-LHR-KUL-PEN bought on MH's website.
2. First leg (EDI-LHR) was on an MH flight number (but BA metal)
3. On the printed eTicket (from MH), EDI-LHR's Most Significant Carrier is listed as "MH"
3. MH's check-in baggage policy: 20kgs on the "weight" system
4. OW's SL policy for domestic-intl legs on the "weight" system: +15kg baggage allowance

Upon check-in at the BA J-counter @ EDI (MH doesn't operate standalone counters @ EDI), I attempted to check-in 2 bags (20kg + 15kg).
BA counter agent successfully sent my first bag through, but said I would be charged GBP 155 to check-in my 2nd bag.
I showed the BA agent my OW SL status (which she confirmed was reflected on my printed BP -- and -- on her system). She also agreed that in principle, I should be allowed to check that 2nd bag through with no charge.
She called over her supervisor and we repeated this merry go-round once again. In the end, BA said they'd need to charge me for that bag... and asked that I claim refunds later.
I ended up paying GBP 155 just so I could get on with life and onto my flight.

Question for the room: Who should I claim that GBP 155 refund from - MH or BA?
I'd like to think since BA charged me, BA should be responsible for the refund, but since MH is listed as MSC, I wonder if they are liable instead?

Thanks... appreciate the counsel, especially from folks who've been in similar situations....
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:54 am

Cli would claim from whoever took the payment. Have a look at your bank or credit card statement
Old Nov 22, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (Touching distance GFL after 31 years!)
Originally Posted by infinitium

Thanks... appreciate the counsel, especially from folks who've been in similar situations....
Were you economy lite or economy basic?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Eco basic.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
You'll have to take this up with BA since they're the ones who accepted your bags. I assume by "OW SL" you mean Sapphire? If so then the extra 15kg should have applied.

I wonder if the weight concept plus the MH codeshare was too much to handle for BA's IT.
infinitium likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Have yet to hear back from either BA nor MH (I emailed MH as well; just to check all boxes).
Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:23 am

If I read the MH baggage terms, i read it as only 1 bag, even if you have status on other airlines to have another bag. What I read is that you gain an extra 15kg on the 1st bag, and that a second bag is why you incurred charges.
Note, I have recentrly booked a ticket with MH , am BA Silver, and my ticket is similarly confusing with regard to the Luggage benefit. This was my determination before reading your post here.
infinitium likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by ukcobra
If I read the MH baggage terms, i read it as only 1 bag, even if you have status on other airlines to have another bag. What I read is that you gain an extra 15kg on the 1st bag, and that a second bag is why you incurred charges.
Note, I have recentrly booked a ticket with MH , am BA Silver, and my ticket is similarly confusing with regard to the Luggage benefit. This was my determination before reading your post here.
It seems quite clear on the website, max 23kg in economy which can be in a maximum of 2 bags.
For OW sapphire, 15 kg extra but still maximum 2 pieces
For OW emerald, 20 Kg extra maximum 3 pieces.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/sg/...hecked-baggage

Each bag has a maximum of 32 KG so having it in one bag would make it 38kg and that is not allowed hence the comment that the extra weight should be in one bag cant be the case.

Globalist
SilverChris and infinitium like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (Touching distance GFL after 31 years!)
Originally Posted by Globalist
It seems quite clear on the website, max 23kg in economy which can be in a maximum of 2 bags.
For OW sapphire, 15 kg extra but still maximum 2 pieces
For OW emerald, 20 Kg extra maximum 3 pieces.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/sg/...hecked-baggage

Each bag has a maximum of 32 KG so having it in one bag would make it 38kg and that is not allowed hence the comment that the extra weight should be in one bag cant be the case.

Globalist
I sympathize, MH has the most impenetrable baggage allowance guidance.
infinitium and ukcobra like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.