Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

New Rule: Turn off all electronic devices for takeoff and landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rule: Turn off all electronic devices for takeoff and landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

New Rule: Turn off mobile phones for takeoff and landing?

Was flying today, and realised during MH’s new (and very-hard-to-follow) safety briefing video that they now ask that all electronic devices specifically including mobile phones be switched off for takeoff and landing. I also saw one person be advised by a crew member to turn the phone off when they had it out (I would think it was already in flight mode).

When did this become a thing, not just setting your phones in flight mode? Is this MH only, or something from MAVCOM for all Malaysian carriers?

Last edited by crackjack; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:14 pm
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:42 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
That briefing video is the pits. Furthermore MH seem to be obsessive about the phone thing. Even in flight mode we were snapped at by crew to turn off the phone. We merely put them in sleep mode but left them on.....(& no, it's not a genuine safety issue). It's ridiculous.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:42 am

Management sets stupid rules, crew enforce stupid rules. Nobody ever takes stock as to whether the rules are even relevant in this day and age.

I just leave mine on flight mode and slide it into the seat pocket behind the seat in front.

And I don't bother to watch the cringeworthy inflight safety video anymore.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:52 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Anyone recall past issues related to 5G roll out temporarily on hold at US airports where it only affects older aircraft like B737 with older navigation instruments except the MAX plus Airbus aircraft are also not affected? MH is using B737-800s so maybe that is why? Anyone technical here to confirm?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
This is because of CAAM rules about mobile phones, which unsurprisingly haven't been revisited in decades.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:15 pm

Yeah this is a Malaysia thing, have to switch off devices, but nobody cares

Even more ridiculous, here is a picture at Penang aiport, requiring passengers to switch off their devices before entering the jet bridge

Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I flew 2 MH segments yesterday in J and indeed was surprised at the rule too. However, it didn’t seem to be enforced and I pretty much used my phone until hitting the runway before turning it on airplane mode with no problems. However, on one of the segments one of the FA’s (very kindly) asked me to unplug my iPhone charger. Also, that safety video is wild….I kinda like it though, ha!
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Isn't that the rule before? Enforcement is another issue.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:14 pm

I flew couple of different carriers in US and never heard about shutting devices off... In fact southwest allows free texting over wi-fi.. and there may be others as well. Must be particular airline thing...
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is indeed such a ridiculous rule - but that's how it is in most countries in Asia - another example of stupidity is Thailand - in so many of my trips, never really realized how un-educated/informed they are about powerbanks. For one of my last trip, first time bringing a power bank - and during transit, it was indicated outside that it should not exceed X amount of storage capacity, but any without such information will be consficated - and mine because of usage, the printed information on the case was all gone, so it went into the bin. It was obvious that it was so small and flat that it would be way below the stipulated capacity but no such logic used.

I wonder how these airlines all can join the IATA if they are so backwards in their mindset.

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by nldogbert
This is indeed such a ridiculous rule - but that's how it is in most countries in Asia - another example of stupidity is Thailand - in so many of my trips, never really realized how un-educated/informed they are about powerbanks. For one of my last trip, first time bringing a power bank - and during transit, it was indicated outside that it should not exceed X amount of storage capacity, but any without such information will be consficated - and mine because of usage, the printed information on the case was all gone, so it went into the bin. It was obvious that it was so small and flat that it would be way below the stipulated capacity but no such logic used.

I wonder how these airlines all can join the IATA if they are so backwards in their mindset.

Cheers!
As mentioned, these types of policies have more to do with regulators than the airlines themselves. Was your powerbank confiscated by the airline or airport security?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:03 pm

I have flown 8 sectors in the last couple of months with MH. No enforcement apart from asking the phone to be unplugged from the USB.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 12:24 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SilverChris
As mentioned, these types of policies have more to do with regulators than the airlines themselves. Was your powerbank confiscated by the airline or airport security?
It was by the airport security - but my point is that be it airline or airport in quite a lot of this part of the world, all these (mostly) crazy rules are set by the govt or related organization which seems to be made by hermit minded person

Cheers!
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for clarifying… thought this was something new, guess I’ve never paid much attention to that specific part of the briefing before…

My own experience, saw two people being told to shut down their phones on two separate flights recently (of 4 I taken); one I am pretty sure was already on flight mode, other might have had their 4G still going. Perhaps the crew have just been told to pay more attention to phones being out.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by fender5787
However, on one of the segments one of the FA’s (very kindly) asked me to unplug my iPhone charger.
Originally Posted by nzed
No enforcement apart from asking the phone to be unplugged from the USB.
Unplugging chargers for take off and landing is pretty standard on other (non-Asian) airlines too, no? In-seat charging should be turned off too. Presume it's a legitimate safety / not-getting-tangled-up in wires in an emergency reason - just like dimming lights is to acclimatise your eyes to the dark in case of emergency

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.