Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MAS refusing refund for cancelled flight

MAS refusing refund for cancelled flight

Old May 5, 20, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
In Germany? Law is made on the EU-level. Whatever an "government agency" thinks in Germany is completely irrelevant.
Who are you quoting? Your quote is "completely irrelevant" if you were quoting me. What does a "government agency" in Canada have to do with Europe?
Old May 8, 20, 10:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by dici View Post
I'm thinking to escalate to flysmart for complaint. The last call I made the agent refuse to refund although a call that I made a week before the agent request the refund for me easily....
Yeap, sounds very typical of their inconsistencies.. did you try to hang up and call again?
Old Jun 14, 20, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know what MH's schedule change policy was before Covid kicked off? I cannot find any info in any of the e-tickets or booking confirmations. It would be good ammo for a card dispute.
Old Jun 14, 20, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Does anyone know what MH's schedule change policy was before Covid kicked off? I cannot find any info in any of the e-tickets or booking confirmations. It would be good ammo for a card dispute.
Pre COVID, I don’t recall it amounted to full refund for cancelled flights. I had a flight reschedule but they said they’re obliged to rebook me only if the reschedule is more than 3 hours difference.
Old Jul 10, 20, 7:12 am

I booked flights with Malaysia Airlines flying to Bali for 7th July 2020. They cancelled back in April and the options given by Malaysia Airlines are not suitable as I have kids in school and cannot complete my trip by 30th June 2021. I booked the flights through a travel agent and I'm losing £500 if I request a refund! This is just modern day robbery, how can travel agents get away with it, I hate the travel industry, that's my hard earned money! I have spoken several times to Malaysia Airlines about their options and they are not bothered, no customer care. I will not be flying with them ever again. My only other option is to claim a charge back through the credit card company we used to pay for the flights.
Old Jul 10, 20, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I booked the flights through a travel agent and I'm losing £500 if I request a refund!
What is the explanation for these GBP 500?
Old Jul 10, 20, 7:20 am

The T&C's from the travel agent state they don't have to give a full refund as the Airline is not giving any refunds , just credits.
Old Jul 10, 20, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by sattie View Post
My only other option is to claim a charge back through the credit card company we used to pay for the flights.
Please do - you may have more success this way, as highlighted by some blogs. And do share with us your chargeback result.
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:21 am

I requested a refund on April 6 for my cancelled return ticket to Bali by calling the Malaysia based call center (I live in KL) and had several follow-ups through Messenger and through the call center where agents kept repeating it was still on process.
Finally, a cash refund was posted on my credit card account on July 13.
> 3-month process but eventually the money was given back!
quinzinho likes this.
Old Aug 3, 20, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The T&C's from the travel agent state they don't have to give a full refund as the Airline is not giving any refunds , just credits.
Still, a flat GBP 500 deduction sounds awfully suspicious.
Because MH is not refunding any cash - it is NOT refunding minus a GBP 500 deduction.
Someone from the travel agency is trying to fool you.
Old Aug 8, 20, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, CX Marco Polo Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I have one outstanding flight on MH (from US$4000 travel arrangements booked in January) booked through trip.com that has been pending since the cancellation on March 11.

No sign on a cash refund (of course) or even a voucher. Even Air Asia has refunded one flight in cash and another as a voucher that I booked through trip.com and cancelled on the same March 11 day.

Is MH really not refunding anything, even as vouchers?
Old Aug 26, 20, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, CX Marco Polo Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
Is MH really not refunding anything, even as vouchers?
Apparently not. I just had an email from trip.com regarding my cancelled flight entitled "Refund application failed":

"According to the airline's latest policies, you can still continue your trip via ticket change. Unfortunately, full-refund is not available, therefore the refund application has been rejected by the airline and the booking status has been changed back to "ticket(s) issued". To ensure you a smooth trip, please log on Trip.com App or website to submit the change application and select your preferred date, we will apply the change with airline for you. Please understand that the result will be subject to airline’s final operation.Thank you for your kind understanding."

Checking the booking on the trip.com app I cannot select a new date (probably because there aren't any?) but am told to phone trip's call centre to make a new reservation so something still exists on a system somewhere but given its low value they are probably hoping I will forget about it.

Considering I've had four cash refunds and one voucher refund from Air Asia, this is extremely poor behaviour from Malaysia Airlines to its actual customers especially given the apparently unlimited subsidy available from the country's government over the years.

Last edited by ftrichard; Aug 26, 20 at 8:05 pm
Old Aug 26, 20, 8:56 pm

You can get refund (see my previous post) but this is lottery.
Seems that chances are higher if passenger is based in Malaysia and did not book through a third party.
I had to wait more than 3 months and called multiple times for follow-up..
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We booked a TPE->PEN (via KUL) on J in December 2020 on the MAS website. In August MAS notified us the flight is cancelled. Called their helpdesk and was met with the usual response. I immediately raised a dispute with my credit card provider and in September they decided to raise a charge back request.

Today I got a response informing me that MAS is able to provide documentations to defend their case and therefore the chargeback is not successful. I would be interested in hearing what justification MAS managed to provide, but obviously no further details was given.

I WILL AVOID THIS AIRLINE AT ALL COSTS
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I would suggest that you read through this thread and post any further questions there

Disputing credit card charges for tickets cancelled by Malaysian Airlines

Search this Thread