Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MAS refusing refund for cancelled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAS refusing refund for cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The problem is that Japan and Malaysia have weak consumer protection laws in these countries.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Lorraine Smalldridge
Malaysia Airlines have cancelled my flight for July/August not doing refunds Just vouchers.
This was for my daughter to do voluntary work in a Cambodian school that she cannot go to do at any other time due to her age.
Dispute the transaction with your bank. Airlines can go to hell for not providing refunds IMO. They do not deserve our support.

Then rebook on another airline closer to the departure date. As more time goes by you'll have greater certainty if an airline will fly or not (also keeping in mind transit restrictions that may be in place by Governments).
Old May 1, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by DrGDT
I have the same issue with MAS cancelling a flight between KUL and Osaka. They have refused refund. I contacted MAVCOM and received email back from MAS saying

We understand your expectation on this matter , we regrettably will not be able to offer any ticket refund owing to factors that is beyond our control. We are prevented from performing our services as a result of government measures taken to contain COVID-19. This government ruling creates a situation of force majeure rendering us unable to fulfill our obligation due to circumstances beyond our control.

Only change of travel date or voucher offered. Seems like MAS are not offering the same kind of protection that European airlines offer. Worth bearing in mind for future bookings and to quote one of their most recent adverts "one’s true colours are revealed during the worst storms in life". Shame on them.
This stance has indeed made me a lot more cautious with whom I choose to fly after the pandemic. For now, I am solely booking with airlines that allow flexibility of full refund. As their true colours are shown now, I am not giving MH any of my bookings. There are many other airlines to choose from which provide full refunds, even if it incurs the inconvenience of a transit stop en route to my destinations.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:45 pm

Sign this petition for MAS

Dear All,

My family and I are having similar issue too! Appreciate if all of you can help to sign and share this petition with the hope that MAS will actually take our view into consideration. I think it's really unfair for MAS to only offer us a travel voucher with various limitation which clearly showing that they do not have customers in mind when they make the decision.

Since this is my first post, I can't share a link yet, so kindly search for this topic in change.org: "Demand MAS to revises Open Ticket Flexibility Policy due to COVID-19 Flight Cancellation".

Thank you!
Old May 3, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by eyang16
Dear All,

My family and I are having similar issue too! Appreciate if all of you can help to sign and share this petition with the hope that MAS will actually take our view into consideration. I think it's really unfair for MAS to only offer us a travel voucher with various limitation which clearly showing that they do not have customers in mind when they make the decision.

Since this is my first post, I can't share a link yet, so kindly search for this topic in change.org: "Demand MAS to revises Open Ticket Flexibility Policy due to COVID-19 Flight Cancellation".

Thank you!
A petition is a waste of time IMO.
Call your bank. Dispute the transactions on the grounds that the airline is unable to provide the service you paid for. There are consumer rights you are afforded under the card scheme terms and conditions.

There is a massive risk that the airline will not be able to ever transport you as they face massive looming bankruptcy.
If MAS somehow come out the other end of the crisis and survive - they will have lost the trust of the public, and it will damage the airline more than MH370/MH17.

Somewhere along the line, MAS management must have forgotten that they are in business to serve the customers. Not the other way around.

Best of luck getting your cash back.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
The problem is that Japan and Malaysia have weak consumer protection laws in these countries.
?
I don't know if you realize there is a pandemic going on, and Lufthansa (which is based in Germany, which supposedly would have strong consumer protection laws) is not refunding anything. And Air Canada wasn't refunding either. And their government agency sided with them (maybe now they have backtracked?).
Old May 3, 2020, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by d00t
A petition is a waste of time IMO.
Call your bank. Dispute the transactions on the grounds that the airline is unable to provide the service you paid for. There are consumer rights you are afforded under the card scheme terms and conditions.

There is a massive risk that the airline will not be able to ever transport you as they face massive looming bankruptcy.
If MAS somehow come out the other end of the crisis and survive - they will have lost the trust of the public, and it will damage the airline more than MH370/MH17.

Somewhere along the line, MAS management must have forgotten that they are in business to serve the customers. Not the other way around.

Best of luck getting your cash back.
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely try that. I totally agree with your view that MAS has a high chance of not making through this crisis, seeing that there are so many disappointed customers.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by d00t
Unlike the twin disasters this refund predicament is industry-wide, both locally and abroad. You'll find similar rants in just about every other forum here.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
And their government agency sided with them (maybe now they have backtracked?).
In Germany? Law is made on the EU-level. Whatever an "government agency" thinks in Germany is completely irrelevant.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Will they still refund a refundable ticket, or they stopped doing that too?
Old May 4, 2020, 8:09 am

I am facing the problem too! i made a call to MAS last week and they did not want to refund to me!!
Old May 4, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Yie Kun Ang
I am facing the problem too! i made a call to MAS last week and they did not want to refund to me!!
They tried that nonsense with me too.

So I stayed on the phone for 3 hours, bouncing around different operators. This is fairly easy to do because the phone operators are like infant monkeys trying to drive a car.
As their call center is outsourced (outsourced call centers mostly charge by the minute), and I figure they've now lost more money on me than the ticket value.

Keep calling, and at the same time initiate a dispute through your bank.

There won't be a "Malaysia Airlines" to take you anywhere in the future!
Old May 4, 2020, 2:11 pm

It's such a shame they are charging the fare difference, my sister, as mentioned up thread with having her flights cancelled would be happy with a voucher/rebooking but having got a very good sale fare she now faces having to pay god knows how much extra on top. This seems a bit short-sighted to me and it would be nice if they at least changed their mind on this front, perhaps they will reconsider as just waiving the change fee is the least you'd expect in the circumstances.

With regard to chargeback to the credit card, she's in Australia so is it worth her trying that?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by ellielovesem

With regard to chargeback to the credit card, she's in Australia so is it worth her trying that?
1. Call the bank, tell them u want to dispute a transaction
2. Bank will ask which txn and what the reason is for dispute
3. Advise airline cancelled flights, and airline has not reaccomodated flights. Merchant is unable to provide service paid for.
4. You may be asked by the bank to provide evidence (or your documented events) of correspondence with the airline, and your attempts to contact airline and outcomes of the conversations.
5. Bank may request you mail in a signed legal declaration
6. Sit back while your bank fights for you
7. Airline must prove they are able to provide the service paid for, which they cant - and you get your money back.
8. Airline is penalised by their merchant and charged an additional fee

Disputing the transaction is the first action.
A chargeback is what happens to the merchant once they lose the transaction dispute.

Generally, banks will have a 3 or 6-month window max for disputes. If the transaction was made more than 6 months ago - you might be out of luck.

Happy disputing!
ellielovesem likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not rely on the success of a dispute. If neither your contract nor controlling local law requires a refund, then your card issuer (bank) may well not approve the chargeback, especially when the merchant (air carrier) documents this fact.

Results vary both controlling local law and the location of the card issuer.

Tickets including segments to or from the US must be refunded within 7 days if a flight is cancelled or substantially changed. The same for departures from the EU (for non-EU carriers). US and many UK banks will issue at least a provisional credit when you provide all required documentation, within 1-2 days and a permanent credit within just a few more days. But, that generally means that one has provided: 1. Copy of e-ticket receipt, 2. Notice of cancellation or substantial schedule change, 3. Request for refund, 4. Denial or a note that no response has been received.

All of this suggests that keeping copies and screenshots of everything is critical and that relying less on the phone will get you quicker results in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.