Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status extension due to Covid19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Status extension due to Covid19

Various airlines have given their elite members extensions of their status due to the Covid19 situation.
I've yet to find any update about the same from Malaysia Airlines.
Does anybody here happen to know more?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
The former head of Enrich wrote an informative article regarding status extensions that I’m sure the program will align closely with. I’m guessing they bring him in for consulting in situations like these.

I’m sure MH will extend but likely much later than most programs due to their previous experience with the MH17 and MH370 status extensions.

Here’s the article: https://www.traveldatadaily.com/airl...tus-in-crisis/

It’s a bit of a dilemma, extend to early, than you lose the revenue of those who increase flying to hit status. Extend too late, than you lose the revenue of the same people who don’t think it’s realistic to hit status in the shortened time frame and then take their business elsewhere while in limbo. Though the MH17 and MH370 situation is different than the current crisis due the scale and magnitude. There’s a lack of available flights worldwide and not just for those are who doing additional flying to hit status.
d00t likes this.

Last edited by ALGU; Mar 23, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
I doubt they go to former employees to determine company policy. But OK, nothing clear yet. Not unsurprising that MH is late with this kind of thing; they're always later than the rest.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I have kept overview at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19 and so far it seems that number of airlines are starting to give extensions, MH will likely follow sometime as well.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Fims
I have kept overview at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19 and so far it seems that number of airlines are starting to give extensions, MH will likely follow sometime as well.
Great list! Thanks for sharing!
Some airlines are more generous than others. It makes sense that most of the airlines not extending status yet have a calendary year qualification whereas rollling status renewals like Emirates and Qatar and Cathay need to take action now.

Originally Posted by quinzinho
I doubt they go to former employees to determine company policy. But OK, nothing clear yet. Not unsurprising that MH is late with this kind of thing; they're always later than the rest.
I'm inclined to think MH and other airlines already approach this guy for consulting on status. Looking at his Linkedin, this guy is a world expert on airline loyalty and not just a former employee.

Also found this podcast where the former head of loyalty from IHG, JetBlue, Virgin Australia and the Malaysia Airlines guy talk about extending stauts.
It's interesting to hear the insider views: https://bit.ly/3bnzh9z
ALGU likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Got my hopes up when I saw “Enrich Privileges Update” in the newsletter title...

Frequent flyer benefits and privileges

We acknowledge the concerns over COVID-19 and related travel restrictions which may have affected your travel plans. In view of that, Enrich wishes to extend our support to you by:
  1. Extending Enrich Miles that are set to expire in March, April and May 2020 for an additional six (6) months. For example, Miles expiring on 31 March 2020 will be extended to 30 September 2020.
  2. Members who have redeemed for Golden Lounge Access Vouchers expiring in March, April and May 2020 will also receive an extension of six (6) months.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
What a crap email UPDATE today. Maybe they will extend ice in the winter time for a few months too.....
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:16 pm

I don't see why Malaysia Airlines would be extending status for customers who's status are being downgraded at the end of this month as all qualification is done from 1st Jan 2019 to 31st Dec 2019.

If you are implying at automatic status renewal in 2021 they might do it but it's too early to make an announcement or any announcement if they do.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry.tan
I don't see why Malaysia Airlines would be extending status for customers who's status are being downgraded at the end of this month as all qualification is done from 1st Jan 2019 to 31st Dec 2019.
Nobody expects this; nobody said this in this thread. Obviously, we're talking about the effects of the current situation on earning status in the next year.

On another note, in the same e-mail from MH referenced here, I also noticed this more promising quote:

We will continue to assess the situation in the context of our frequent flyer programme and as soon as we get through this critical time, we will share more details at a later stage upon additional measures to ensure you continue to enjoy your status and benefits when you travel with us.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:58 am

Now that DL and UA have gotten the ball rolling on status extensions for their calendar year based loyalty programs, let’s hope this motivates MH in the same direction! Most of the other airline loyalty programs extensions have largely been membership year based. Would also like to see MH provide flying incentives with either reduced requirements for 2021 or 2020 activity to be rolled over with 2021 for 2022 status.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by ALGU
Now that DL and UA have gotten the ball rolling on status extensions for their calendar year based loyalty programs, let’s hope this motivates MH in the same direction! Most of the other airline loyalty programs extensions have largely been membership year based. Would also like to see MH provide flying incentives with either reduced requirements for 2021 or 2020 activity to be rolled over with 2021 for 2022 status.
DL/UA effectively +1 everyone's status and provided an incentive to continue flying this year, AND for qualifying activity next year.
DL launched. UA copied.

Pressure from banks and gift card redemptions driving panic spending of miles and consumer switching airline cards to cash-back cards to alleviate financial pressure. That means it's somewhat driven by the banks -- to ensure their billion-dollar miles businesses don't collapse. Then the narrative is - "we are looking after our customers......"

I hope MH does something - but honestly, what would they have to gain by announcing anything right now? I'd wait till everyone else has announced status extensions - pick the best of the ideas and copy it. Pick the right timing and milk it.
cyktai and ALGU like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: MH Gold / OW Sapphire
This just came by email:

We also have an important announcement for our Enrich members:

Enrich Members currently holding Elite Status set to expire in 2021 will receive status extension valid through March 2022.

This includes members who earned 2020 Elite Status based on 2019 flying activities or through a status challenge.

In the event that you are upgraded to a higher status before the end of this year, your new status will be valid through the end of March 2022 as well.

Scenario:
  • You are currently holding Enrich Silver status for 2020; current status valid till March 2021 will be extended through March 31, 2022.
  • You earn 55,000 Elite Miles in August 2020; your status will be upgraded to Enrich Gold valid through March 31, 2022.

With this, you can rest assured that your Elite Status and benefits are secured for another year. The extension is automatic and there is no need to contact Enrich to apply.
ALGU, Danial and quinzinho like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:02 pm

Also double elite miles on MH for booking between July 1 to August 31 for travel between July 1 to March 31. Would be tempted if there was another 3x promo like back in 2018, but guess we can't have everything. Had they announced this earlier, might have shifted flights from other programs who offered similar multiplier schemes.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I received the good news too. Unfortunately the double elite miles promotion does nothing for me since MH is still flying 10% or less of their domestic network.. pretty useless. Don't understand why they give carte blanche to Air Asia, but hey...
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by d00t
...<snip>...
I hope MH does something - but honestly, what would they have to gain by announcing anything right now? I'd wait till everyone else has announced status extensions - pick the best of the ideas and copy it. Pick the right timing and milk it.
........and MH does neither.

Bad timing, a lacklustre extension deal, and double elite miles on domestic travel won't be driving incremental revenue.

Why do they even bother?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.