Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Cellars in the Sky 2019: MAS won Best Overall Cellar

Old Feb 26, 20, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Pleasantly surprised to see the below news on the excellent (although BA foccused) blog: www.headforpoints.com

The winners of Business Traveller’s annualCellars in the Sky awards were announced on Monday.The winners chosen by a group of Masters of Wine including Tim Atkin and Charles Metcalfe. The blind testing involved more than 250 different bottles of wine. The key winners were:

Malaysia Airlines won Best Overall Cellar for its performance in all cabin classes

Qantas won Best First Class Cellar, with Cathay Pacific winning the silver medal and ANA and Singapore Airlines joint third.

Malaysia Airlines took the top prize in Best Business Class Cellar. Qatar Airways and Air New Zealand were joint second place with Aer Lingus snagging the bronze award!

You can see the full list of categories and winners on the Business Traveller website.

Last edited by immunedata; Feb 27, 20 at 11:23 pm
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:16 am

Programs: Enrich
Ya, when I read the news it totally surprised me. It might due to the reason that the competition is completely a blind tasting competition. If they put it upfront like this is a wine by SQ or a wine by some airline, the result could be different?
Old Feb 27, 20, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by dici View Post
Ya, when I read the news it totally surprised me. It might due to the reason that the competition is completely a blind tasting competition. If they put it upfront like this is a wine by SQ or a wine by some airline, the result could be different?
I'm sure they would be different as, in general, people are snobs. If they exposed the labels of the bottles, it would also be skewed towards well known brands regardless of taste.

I actually don't know what the MAS wine list looks like but, on the assumption it's not the typically preferred stuff, it looks like they offer good (or in indeed prize winning) value.

Last edited by immunedata; Feb 27, 20 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 27, 20, 8:27 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
But the wine list is non-existent on flights under 3 hours. It should be at the very least be Best Cellar when available prize.
nancypants and cyktai like this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 9:55 pm

MH is not doing this award win any justice and there should be more marketing to encourage more people to fly with them. Based on the way the wine bottles are unceremoniously stuffed onto the meal trolley, they look unimpressive and haphazard.
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:05 am

Programs: Enrich
their crew definitely need to be trained to try to promote their wine... My last 5hr biz class with them to KTM, I didn't see they do this. But the CSR just very lazy too, letting the other crew to handle all of the J class passengers, it was the worst J class I had with them
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:34 pm

It’s not just “promoting” - the crew especially those serving J should be educated properly not only in the wine themselves, but also how to handle wines properly. I’ve had lukewarm champagne and room temperature white wine served to me before, which I rejected and asked for them to be chilled properly before serving. One of them even suggested, perhaps it’ll cool faster with an ice cube in it?

Other crew would pronounce “chirash” or merlot with a hard T, and had no idea what a “sav blanc” is.
Old Mar 1, 20, 11:19 pm

Programs: JAL JMB Sapphire & One World Sapphire
If they start promoting these awards certain "group" of people will start using religion card citing its haram to drink alcohol yada yada. At one point of time the same group also complained about female crew being too tight fitting and its not approprate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: